Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Adventure mode

Adventure mode All you want to know about adventure mode (may contain SPOILERS)

Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Approved Member

Default What troops to bring with me to Freedom Isles

I'm ready to head over to Freedom Isles for the first time, but am trying to figure out what 2 reserve troops to bring with me to Freedom Isles. Actually, it's both a question of what extra troop types to bring, and which 2 troops to bring in high quantity in the reserve spot (for reinforcements and leadership gains).

My current army composition is (numbers approximate):
15 Archmages
51 Royal Snakes
30 Inquisitors
101 Fire Spiders
8 Royal Thorns / 11 Alchemists

I'm using the Fire Spiders because I have Frog Feanora and Jade Belt (50% dmg, +1 init to spiders). They're also my only spell-resurrectable troop (for sacrifice).

My candidates to bring as reserves to Freedom Isles are:
- up to about 600 Royal Snakes, including those I already have hired;
- up to 846 Fire Spiders, ibid;
- up to 143 Archmages, ibid;
- up to 41 Alchemists, ibid;
- up to 70 Inquisitors, ibid.

Other non-run-of-the-mill troops available are:
- 7 Polar Bears
- 3 Knights
- about 125 Beholders

The other troops available for hire in Darion are nothing special:
- humans from Peasants through Priests; haven't gotten to horseman tent
- a handful of undead troops, mostly zombies and ghosts
- All level 1 and level 2 neutrals (thorns, dragonflies, venomous/cave spiders, hyenas, pirates, swamp/regular snakes, wolves, barbarians, berzerkers
- 2000-plus bears, 400-plus ancient bears

Based on a quick scouting mission in Western Isles, I'll have easy access (read: no fighting) to:
- 18 Cannonneers;
- Hordes of Sea Dogs
- about 2000 Devilfish
- 1300 Bowmen
- 1180 Pirates
- 2 Knights
- 3 Royal Thorns
- 700 Robbers
- 370 T. Warriors
- 310 Barbarians
- Bronze Ring

Other than the Jade Belt, other possibly relevant items I have are the Pilgrim Boots (+1 speed of slowest troop), Monk's Belt (+1 Morale to Priests+Inquisitors), Battle Hammer (+3 atk, +3 atk to dwarves), and Poison Dagger (+1 poison dmg).
Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Approved Member

So far you have limited choice of units and low lvl hero, and cant beat enemy with pure strength/spells/rage spirits. So i suggest picking controlling units : archmage inquisitors support, snakes spiders for dmging in numbers/no retaliation option, royal thorns for producing cannon fodder, so i would drop alchemist in that pick (and drop 14 archmages only 1 is enough for magic shield/telekinesis, and smaller army will give you`re rage spirits more experience). Reserves i suggest spiders and snakes, they should be you`re main dmg dealers, and take most losses.
Other option is to go full range army : inquisitors, alchem, cannoners, royals, and snakes for melee unit. Use trap spell and rage wall to control enemy stacks and dmg with alchem, cannon, royals with their summons.
In western islands most fights are vs big stacks of low lvl units, so i`ll go with controlling pick instead range build.
Spoiler alert :
Also try to go through islands (save game) and just buy mines map from James (100k gold) to scout them and Hadar lands to see what is available later. Then load game and play through. Have fun
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

Default P.S.

I should mention...I tend to favor defense and loss mitigation, hence why I tend not to use low-HP or level 1 troops.

I do have Sacrifice for troop-making.

If I think I'm going to stick with Fire Spiders and Royal Snakes for my tanks, then it seems like I should bring reinforcements for them. They're both plentiful on Darion and work well with my frog wife and jade belt. The risk of course is that I spend lots of cash to bring over hundreds of these guys, then something happens in Freedom Isles that makes me want to switch troops-- it kind of locks me in.

I suppose I should mention that I have 2 griffon eggs and could theoretically build them up via Sacrifice in Darion then bring them over.

I could also try taking out the circus guards and get 8 horsemen (and sacrifice them up). I even have the shield that gives +3 Def, +5 extra Def to horsemen

I could leave the Archmages behind and replace them with Cannonneers when I get to Western Islands. More damage is nice, though I really like the magic shield and even the telekinesis I use a lot.

With my Pilgrim Boots, I can have Knights at a speed of 3 (as long as I'm not using Royal Thorns). There are only 5 available immediately, though I could sacrifice up my knights before heading to the Isles.

Lots of options! Part of what really makes this game fun.

Last edited by trentjaspar; 04-25-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added reference to Horseman's Shield
Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatt_Shade View Post
In western islands most fights are vs big stacks of low lvl units, so i`ll go with controlling pick instead range build.
If that's the case, then that's a vote for bringing over some Beholders for their Lulling Beam. I can bring over about 21 of them.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Approved Member

If you can pick up horseman and build them up, they are great units for taking up enemy aggro. Kick them in enemy lines, with stone skin and magic shield from archmages and they can survive ridiculous amounts of attacks. Also hey get great bonuses from lots of items, try them if possible.