Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Registered Member

Smile getting someone off your six

I'm more of a bomber pilot than anything (i play mostly strike), and when I fly a fighter i always ALWAYS lose. Always. when i fly the spit mk 2 (fav fighter) and mk 9 in realistic or arcade, i get outturned by everything. sure, an i -16 or i - 153 is understandable, but when i start getting outturned (yeah i'm really noob) by even g-6s or hurricanes i get worried.

can anyone tell me how to outturn / win against a hurri or any other fighter in a spit? or how to get someone off your six? it just seems that when i pull the stick back hard and turn, I always get outturned. what power settings should i use etc?

(il2 is the best game ever. EVER. its been in my disc slot for a month straight. and it makes CoD so boring.)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

Hi lamcow, u gotta knw ur planes strengths nd weaknesses if u wanna win...
4 example the spit is unique cos it can go around and around whilst holdin it's airspeed at about 200mp whereas others like 109s n Hurris will turn sharp as fuk on their first turn but bleed of speed n strt sliding around like a slug aftr it...

Yeah but to put it simply u wanna close in with ur throttle at full so u can get the first shot n if u break n turn with the other guy then jst keep ur throttle at wep til u gotta shot

It's TURN N BURN BABY!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

thanks. ill try to look up the characteristics of each fighter and ill do a little practice so that i won't get utterly burned when i fly a fighter =]
Old 02-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

Try to turn slower so your turn is tighter. Also you don't have to turn. Force them into a high-speed, low-level chase and then brake VERY hard and 8 times out of 10 they won't brake fast enough and you're on their six
Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Approved Member

Don't try and turn with an I16 or 153 if you are in a Spit. Just straighten up and throttle away. When you get out of their gun range do a quick turn and shoot them head on.

If you have a Hurri on your tail get your target lock on them and start rolling. The spit out rolls the Hurri easily so keep your plane upside down to the Hurri. Eg if the bottom of his wings are facing 6 o clock low then yours should be facing 12 o clock high. Doing this you can pull up or down to get out of his firing arc, rather than trying to turn. Turning will take you into his guns.
Once you have this opposite position it's a case of keeping it whilst trying to break his rythem. You should get a chance to do a full climb or dive out of his kill zone. Once you get this chance you need to start pumping the trottle to get turning onto him.

For 109s it's pretty much same as a Hurri but a lot easier as it cant maniuver as well
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Yeah killing en i16s n 153s r pretty easy but cos this games has no bullet drop u get the od beesting on ur wing from a plane 2 miles behind u and then the squirrels in the tree grab u...

Yeah flat rolling makes sense but that's only I'd he's behind u... If u close at a head on with a hurri, u wanna be closing at about 250 n when u pass n break, pull a vertical loop so a, he has to then do more work to turn into u and b, by the time u go head on aftr u loop, his plane will be sluggish and his shots will 9 times outa 10 fly everywhere but u...
Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

Default It's the Spitfire. Preferred weapon of your enemy. It has a distinct sound. Know it!

I agree with dkwookie on this. Lock the opponent and roll. Really when someone has you in that situation your chances of geting out of it are not great. If you turn you are dead or going to take significant damage. If you roll in a multiple player dog fight and stall that opponent long enough someone else will get him and you better be ready to escape. Honestly, I play with some pretty skilled flier/shooters and when they get on my six 95% of the time it is all over. Gunther Rall "a great German ace" was quoted as saying "when you saw someone in your rear view mirror it was time to bail out".
Old 03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Spinne View Post

Yeah flat rolling makes sense but that's only I'd he's behind u... If u close at a head on with a hurri, u wanna be closing at about 250 n when u pass n break, pull a vertical loop so a, he has to then do more work to turn into u and b, by the time u go head on aftr u loop, his plane will be sluggish and his shots will 9 times outa 10 fly everywhere but u...
The thread title said how to get someone off your 6, that's behind you. I would recommend other tactics for head on or flank maneuvers
Old 03-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Approved Member

if they are coming at you from a dive where you can use their speed against them....or they are extrememly close to your tail...the old chop the gas and drop flaps ( sim ) or even your gear does work. done right, they will over shoot you. you may have to use a couple maneuvers to "set it up"....and you are pretty much a goner anyways...but at times they will skoot right past you and now they are in your sites. has gotten me more than a few kills.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

I've never ha trouble outurning a hurri with a spit so taking damage isn't the problem...
Yeah stalling the tenacious prick behind u for someone else in a teambattle makes sense but in a dogfight... Odds are ur just giving the third guy an easy double kill...
If the hurri chases u along just go into a steap dive n jink around so his laserbeams wnt clip u n when ur satisfied with ur range, flip around n smash him head on with ur mighty cannons.
Bobby, trying to force an overshoots with an Ace behind u is jst dumb cos even if he does overshoot; he would of fucked up ur plane so bad Ull just crash let alone train ur guns on him...
But that said some of the time it's just persistence like u said; I'm usually buzzing around with the whole f'ing enemy team chasin me around n to that, there ain't a whole lot u can do but prey to god ur wingmen come help... Quickly.
But still as long as I see the guy behind me, he ain't getting a kill...