Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Approved Member

Default short 109 pilot interview

So the 109 is good at yawing? First time I heared that, though it makes sense I suppose.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Approved Member

erm..no.

First of all, that's a Buchon, not a 109, and the pilot is talking the usual "I'm flying the best plane in the world" gibberish.

Does that make much of a difference? Yes. If you look at the Buchon from its side, the propeller axis sits higher than on the 109, which means that most of the slipstream travels above the wings and straight into the rudder, while on the "normal" 109, the same slipstream travels a bit lower.

The "yaw happy" behaviour is mainly cos the plane is really short (not long, as he says) and very light, and yes, probably more nimble than a Mustang at low altitude, but the way he delivers his impressions comes out a bit confusing..

Bottomline: whatever this guy is talking about, it has nothing to do with WW2 fighters, cos he's not flying one.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up I can ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
erm..no.

First of all, that's a Buchon, not a 109, and the pilot is talking the usual "I'm flying the best plane in the world" gibberish.

Does that make much of a difference? Yes. If you look at the Buchon from its side, the propeller axis sits higher than on the 109, which means that most of the slipstream travels above the wings and straight into the rudder, while on the "normal" 109, the same slipstream travels a bit lower.

The "yaw happy" behaviour is mainly cos the plane is really short (not long, as he says) and very light, and yes, probably more nimble than a Mustang at low altitude, but the way he delivers his impressions comes out a bit confusing..

Bottomline: whatever this guy is talking about, it has nothing to do with WW2 fighters, cos he's not flying one.
.... only agree
Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
erm..no.

First of all, that's a Buchon,
Horrible plane.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Horrible plane.
yeah, they look fugly!!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
yeah, they look fugly!!
Im no aerodynamics engineer but regarding your comment on the yaw and position of the prop I would have thought that having the engine placed lower would lead to better control as the higher prop would lead to more of the surface being affected by prop wash??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
Im no aerodynamics engineer but regarding your comment on the yaw and position of the prop I would have thought that having the engine placed lower would lead to better control as the higher prop would lead to more of the surface being affected by prop wash??
yes, in order to be efficient, a control surface needs to be in a good airflow, with propwash the air gets rammed down along the fuselage and into the control surfaces,making the surface more efficient. The problem is that the movement is turbulent and circular, so if you don't have a long tail surface it might affect lateral stability (and do what he mentions in the video, tending to turn, mainly because there's no trim on the 109/Buchon rudder).

So once again, Messerschmitt engineers got it right, and improved things with the tall rudder versions.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Approved Member

wow
thanks Sternjaeger II
nice info
Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Approved Member

We're all armchair aces.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timej31 View Post