Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Cryostasis

Cryostasis First-person shooter meets survival horror set on a frozen Soviet ice-breaker trapped in the ice on the North Pole.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
I couldn't agree more. I'm a fan of original voice overs. I also had Stalker in mind when thinking about how the russian one might sound, but it was truly unimpressive, yes, even narcotic in some way. In a review I read that the english voice overs were bad, but I thought they were quite good. In the russian version, the captain always sounds like he took a bottle of sleeping pills, while the english voice actor actually emoted. They were trapped in the ice with some serious problems after all. People died constantly, so who would be so ice cold (no pun intended)
I will elaborate what I liked about Stalker. For example, the bandits were saying in the natural voices "Come here, you son-of-a-bitch !" or "Ahh, I caught a bullet". It brought so realistic an impression that I thought I was in the streets of Russia. That was some atmosphere, and I was enjoying it !

But I am not enjoying the atmosphere in Cryostasis. The voices are unimpressive; I experience no immersion. Cryostsis seems to be the game of the same kind as was Penumbra, however Penumbra was a highly atmospheric game. Not so Cryostasis. Is this because it has the same textures all over the place, of bad quality as well ? Or is it because of the enemies regularly jumping at you, so that it because boring ? Anyway, I have already done half of the game, because I rather like the game than not.