Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Approved Member

The problem is that Triggers are the only way to have code remain with ships persistently... SW triggers are really limited in what they can do. The only decent solution I have come up with so far involves attaching a timer trigger to the despawn trigger, where it will only activate after 60-120 seconds. Now, if the spawned fleet hangs around the gate for longer than that for whatever reason (fighting, traffic, etc) then it will still bug out, but considering that is mostly rare for the most part, it will definatly reduce the issue to a minimum. Wont eliminate it entirely though, im afraid.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Trucidation

So no flags to check whether they've moved at least 1 waypoint before triggering the despawn?

Oh well, a timer is fine too. The only issue I see is if the spawn is hostile; when the player portals in and fights them, they'll despawn in mid-battle when the timer is finished, right?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucidation View Post
So no flags to check whether they've moved at least 1 waypoint before triggering the despawn?
Nope. Triggers are rather limited on what they can and cannot do.

Quote:
Oh well, a timer is fine too. The only issue I see is if the spawn is hostile; when the player portals in and fights them, they'll despawn in mid-battle when the timer is finished, right?
That is correct. As I said, its not a perfect solution, but its the best one that I can do given the limited knowlege and tools at my disposal.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Approved Member

Is any way to incrase numbers of fighters in pirates patrol
i ask becouse fights are to easy even when i take hard difficult
max what i saw was 5 fighters
is any way to make 10 fighters patrols without complicated script modding?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Approved Member

Every sector has his own activate.script. You can find there lines like this:
NewPirateFlight("PiratesGroup_1", "pir01", Vector3(0, -10, 0), 1, 14, Vector3(3, 0, 1));
"14" stays for quantity and quality of fighters being spawned. It's further modified by difficulty level. You can choose value between 1 and 20. Without modifying tables you won't get more than 6 ships in a group.

Inside RandomContacts.script you can find:
local strength = ComputeRandomInvervalValue(power-4, power+3);
change this line to:
local strength = 20;
and randomly spawned groups will always have max power.

Last edited by Goblin Wizard; 05-19-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Approved Member

six is better than five but what file i have to lookin for to make this changes?

im quite dummy with scripting
Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

just try to find "activate.script" or "randomcontacts.script" file inside SW3 folder. When you will find these files just open it and search for the lines (given in my previous post).
Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Approved Member

thank u Goblin Wizard

now i have a little more fun
Old 05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

Huge Success.

I fixed the problem. Switching the trigger over to a timer trigger was trickier than I had originally expected, but it works like a charm. One thing I do recommend, however, is to not engage fleets near portals. Luckily, I set up the spawns so that NPCs usually will not fight eachother near gates, and most of the fighting (If there is any fighting) occurs in the middle of the sector or at mission-critical spots.

The only thing thats left is to finish setting up the spawns for the Debris cluster, and I am going to test this script some more and make sure no other nasty suprises come at me.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Approved Member

Nice, really nice. How big are the randomly spawned groups? From my experience any group that have more than 6 ships acts really strange. Looks like game engine has fixed group size to max 6 ships.