Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Approved Member

Default Question regarding aircraft recognition in Sim

The other day I was in a lobby with 15 other players waiting to play what was undoubtedly going to be an epic match of Strike on Sim. There was a good mix of fighters and bombers.

Unfortunately I got kicked, probably because my connection wasn't good enough (I'm in Australia ).

After I got over missing out on the fun, it occurred to me that the teams had mixed axis / allied aircraft, and since on Sim you can't target enemies specifically, wouldn't this lead to a very confusing match?!

I find it difficult to recognise aircraft at the best of times, but recognising a 109 when you're flying a Spit and still having no idea if it's one of your 109's or the enemies seems a little too random to me.

Have many of you come across this and how do you deal with it?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Approved Member

Well I have only tried the sim in the tutorial and can't seem to find those Messerschmitts that are supposed to be there. But in most air battles in wars I think you will find only a few aircraft took part with just a few aircraft and usually either side had just one type. Such as Fw190s against Spitfires. (Now I am sure someone is going to come along and try and correct me).

I did read a good account of a fighter pilot in Second World War state he came within seconds of shooting down one of his own aircraft, and seriously thought to himself how many times their own pilots were killed by friendly fire. I suspect it happened many more times than we would like to think. We all have a much too jaded view of warfare as it really exists.

So back to your point. You have to get very close to confirm the ident in a large battle. This is something that I don't think is very well portrayed in the game.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Approved Member

just check the map, the enemys are shown there. If you have a mix of friendly/enemys in your FOV you have to look at the markings on the plane.
The Teams have different paint schemes on the planes. (Blue/Red)
Old 09-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merro View Post
just check the map, the enemys are shown there. If you have a mix of friendly/enemys in your FOV you have to look at the markings on the plane.
The Teams have different paint schemes on the planes. (Blue/Red)
yup, they have red/blue stripes on the tail, and the wings
Old 09-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Approved Member

I've been TKed many times, and in fact i unlocked the 100 player kills by accidentally killing a friendly. just look closely and hope.

I've been shot down by team mates *cough*Robotic Pope*cough* as a B-17 when im the ONLY B-17 in the CTA match.... i think people just want to shoot it down cus its still a rare-ish plane for those that didn't boost to get it.

just look for the red / blue paint scheme and use the map to identify the concentration of red dots.

and if you dont get one, get a HD TV, otherwise you wont see jack.

Good luck mate.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Approved Member

Ah, didn't realise the teams were colour coded. Still you've gotta get pretty close to see that, and be on the right side of the sun... It would be nice if more games were divided into one team of all allied aircraft and the other of all axis.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborderland View Post
Ah, didn't realise the teams were colour coded. Still you've gotta get pretty close to see that, and be on the right side of the sun... It would be nice if more games were divided into one team of all allied aircraft and the other of all axis.
Except the 109's would get their asses handed to them all the time .
Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborderland View Post
It would be nice if more games were divided into one team of all allied aircraft and the other of all axis.
I've been in a few online matches where the players have done this voluntarily and it is fun, I hate flying without a cockpit though so I'm never on the axis side.