Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fantasy Wars

Fantasy Wars Turn-based strategy. Gather an army, upgrade units, study magic spells, participate in castle sieges and assaults to destroy the great Orc Ugraum’s horde.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Approved Member

Default why no news?

if the expansion is already out in Russia and supposed to be released in the US in the 2Q 08, why is it March and there is ZERO info about it?.

Last edited by markgil; 03-02-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Approved Member

It's pretty clear we English speaking players are a low priority for the developers. On the other hand, when the expansion does become available I'm sure they'll expect us to leap up and buy it like Pavlovs dogs responding to a bell.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Approved Member

Yes, it would be interesting to know why most russian games are released in Russia first and then 6-12 months later to the international market. This makes the games old news before they even get here.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magog View Post
Yes, it would be interesting to know why most russian games are released in Russia first and then 6-12 months later to the international market. This makes the games old news before they even get here.
That is not so different from many english games being released much later in other languages. It is all about $$. Big companies like Blizzard can afford to spend the $$ on a simultaneous release in multiple languages. Small companies need the proceeds from the local release to help fund the translation and publishing costs for the foreign markets. There is nothing mysterious going on here. And that translation process takes time. Keep in mind this translation of FW was pretty good unlike other Russian -> English translated games. The language is comprehendible and included alot of spoken dialog in addition to text. I'd rather they get it right instead of rushing it.

I'm personally wondering when they will announce the tournament winners

Last edited by bman654; 03-02-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman654 View Post
That is not so different from many english games being released much later in other languages. It is all about $$. Big companies like Blizzard can afford to spend the $$ on a simultaneous release in multiple languages. Small companies need the proceeds from the local release to help fund the translation and publishing costs for the foreign markets. There is nothing mysterious going on here. And that translation process takes time. Keep in mind this translation of FW was pretty good unlike other Russian -> English translated games. The language is comprehendible and included alot of spoken dialog in addition to text. I'd rather they get it right instead of rushing it.

i think it would be nice to just have some info on it-new units, new races, whatever else has been changed or added from the original game. i dont expect them to rush the english version release but if the game is already out in another country, why is there no info on what we can expect with it when it does come out in the US?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman654 View Post

It is very different since the market for games in english is much much bigger than for games in russian. I'm just a bit curious why they don't aim at the international market right away as I would say 99% of all other developers do.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Approved Member

Unfotunately, foreign pulishers are not always eager about publishing games that come from Eastern Europe, IMO, because there are much less target audience than for example in Russia. The game was released in the US, but unfortuantely not many people know about it, the promotion campaign was not sufficient and it is hard to find game in stores.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Approved Member

The are several reasons for not having a simultaneous international release.

1. The game is being developed in Russia and in Russian. It takes time to make a localized product after the game is finished. The same happens with many games that come from other parts of the world to Russia. Rately these are relased fullu localized in Russian at the same time as they are in USA or Germany for example.

2. As it is currently planned the international version of the sequel will have some bonuses in it. Therefore it takes more time to do it.

3. North American and European publishers and distributors have their own release schedules which unfortunately do not always match with ours.

I hope this should shed some light on this topic and will help you understand that this is not always our greed or simple lust for $$$ that stands behind this
Old 03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Approved Member

heh but greed is what makes the world go round!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatoly View Post
The are several reasons for not having a simultaneous international release.

1. The game is being developed in Russia and in Russian. It takes time to make a localized product after the game is finished. The same happens with many games that come from other parts of the world to Russia. Rately these are relased fullu localized in Russian at the same time as they are in USA or Germany for example.

2. As it is currently planned the international version of the sequel will have some bonuses in it. Therefore it takes more time to do it.

3. North American and European publishers and distributors have their own release schedules which unfortunately do not always match with ours.

I hope this should shed some light on this topic and will help you understand that this is not always our greed or simple lust for $$$ that stands behind this
OK, sounds reasonable, but how about giving us some info on the sequel, and maybe some screenshots? If you look back to the first post in the thread, this all started with complaints that we are not getting anything in the way of information on the sequel.