Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fantasy Wars

Fantasy Wars Turn-based strategy. Gather an army, upgrade units, study magic spells, participate in castle sieges and assaults to destroy the great Orc Ugraum’s horde.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
the lack of an economic, city-building aspect in Fantasy Wars means that all you really need from an RMG is a randomly created battlefield and the possibility to purchase your own army.
agreed, it would be maybe a matter of the AI generating purchase based on difficulty level and against what the plyer chooses...
of course you could do something like:
head to head meeting be equal units.
defense stand being a 3 to 1 advatage for the attacker, etc.
anyway a Random Map Generater is still far better than not...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Approved Member

There is absolutely no excuse for not having a random map generator in a game of this nature--esp. when multiplayer gaming isn't well-supported.

This is just cheating customers.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBarca View Post
There is absolutely no excuse for not having a random map generator in a game of this nature--esp. when multiplayer gaming isn't well-supported.

This is just cheating customers.
In particular, how can 1C not provide random map generator, if they expect loyal customers to continue to buy their future expansions? I just don't see the logic behind this. Does it really that so much resources to provide one?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBarca View Post
The first 'excuse', not that I have anything to do with 1C, is that random map generators are much more difficult to code than used to be due to the nature of the graphics engines. Over the last couple of years, how many strategy games - including RTS ones if like - with anything like modern 3D engines HAVE included a random map generator?

The second is that I'm not at all sure such a generator is anyway near as necessary as you suggest. Personally, having played for while now, I feel no need for one at all and will most certainly buy the add-on regardless. A map editor/creator, yes.. indeed having originally (if unintentionally) got the Far Eastern version of the game I've just bought a Euro copy of FW as well just to get access to the editor. But games "of this nature" don't need random maps, they need well crafted ones. Maps that both play well delivering even (for MP) and challenging (for SP) chances, and look good. The classic maps for games like HoMM and AoW - the ones really worth playing - didn't get that way by chance.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertston View Post
The first 'excuse', not that I have anything to do with 1C, is that random map generators are much more difficult to code than used to be due to the nature of the graphics engines. Over the last couple of years, how many strategy games - including RTS ones if like - with anything like modern 3D engines HAVE included a random map generator?

The second is that I'm not at all sure such a generator is anyway near as necessary as you suggest. Personally, having played for while now, I feel no need for one at all and will most certainly buy the add-on regardless. A map editor/creator, yes.. indeed having originally (if unintentionally) got the Far Eastern version of the game I've just bought a Euro copy of FW as well just to get access to the editor. But games "of this nature" don't need random maps, they need well crafted ones. Maps that both play well delivering even (for MP) and challenging (for SP) chances, and look good. The classic maps for games like HoMM and AoW - the ones really worth playing - didn't get that way by chance.
very good point, I would rather see well crafted maps also...
I do hope all in all that campaign/map editors as well as add-ons exapnd this game, I am enjoying it emmensly!
Perhaps it is just a matter of community participation...
Old 04-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpost3 View Post
very good point, I would rather see well crafted maps also...
I do hope all in all that campaign/map editors as well as add-ons exapnd this game, I am enjoying it emmensly!
Perhaps it is just a matter of community participation...
More to the point, the game is new and we are dealing with a lack of documentation and version incompatibility problems. Once we move past these problems you'll see more maps.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Add my vote to therequest for a random map generator.

They may not be perfect, but a decent one can be eminently playable and enhances the longevity of the game significantly IMO.

Franbo
Old 04-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Approved Member

I'm no game developer, but shouldn't it be quite easy to code an rmg for this game? The game rules are much more simple than for example AoW:SM, and there's no resource gathering, tech development or city building. So balancing shouldn't be too hard right?

And then we have the editor that can generate a 3D map based on a 2D template, which will be very useful technology for an rmg....
Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

well, we ceratainly need SOMETHING - a random generator, numerous expansions and/or fan created maps.....otherwise, a great game will have little replay value!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneloot View Post
well, we ceratainly need SOMETHING - a random generator, numerous expansions and/or fan created maps.....otherwise, a great game will have little replay value!!!
There is already an expansion or sequel out behind the Iron Curtain, just have to wait for it to escape to the West. I think that there are 3 more planned as well.