Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fantasy Wars

Fantasy Wars Turn-based strategy. Gather an army, upgrade units, study magic spells, participate in castle sieges and assaults to destroy the great Orc Ugraum’s horde.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Default Likes, Dislikes, and Recommendations

Things I Like:
1. The 3D graphics and combat animations are great
2. The roar the Orc Boss makes when he destroys a unit
3. The ability to specialize units through the use of Perks
4. The ability to upgrade units in the army management window. I like the fact you can upgrade to several different levels. If you don’t have enough money for the best upgrade, you can pick a lesser one until next battle.
5. The AI is very good at concentrating on a unit until it is destroyed (my poor Boar Riders).
6. The Orc campaign is very well structured forcing you to do a good job early on or you will not have the forces it takes to win later in the game.
7. The verity of units, spells, artifacts, and terrain.
8. True 3D terrain that has a real impact on tactics. I just fought a game as the Orcs where the Humans were kicking my butt on the plains. I had to retreat to the woods and was able to rally and hold off the onslaught for a long time. I still lost the battle but what a great last stand.
9. The sub plot with the Orc Hexer. (Just got it, not resolved yet.)
10. The use of special items (artifacts)

Things I don’t like:
1. It appears impossible to ever complete a mission and get the gold award. I’m not sure you could do it even if all you had to do was move to the objective hexes, let alone fight your way in.
2. The Home page for this game does not have a link to this forum

Recommendations:
1. Randomize the special items so they are different each time a battle is started.

Wish list for sequel:
1. A Dwarf campaign and army
2. An Undead campaign and army
3. Larger battles
4. More of everything!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

I really liked the feature of slowly upgraded units throughout the campagne. So I was sort of irritated when I played my favorite race (the elves) and noticed you cant upgrade them. Furthermore the campagne was rather short, since you played humans and orcs in between and the campagne was one mission shorter anyway. It sort of felt unfinished, honestly.

So I would love to have the third race fully worked out with a fully fleshed out campagne like the orks and humans. These I liked very much and I anticipated the third one, with my favorite race the elf, but it was a bit let down once I realized it was shorter and I had to play the others races rather than focus on the elves (and dwarves, of course).
Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanul
I really liked the feature of slowly upgraded units throughout the campagne. So I was sort of irritated when I played my favorite race (the elves) and noticed you cant upgrade them. Furthermore the campagne was rather short, since you played humans and orcs in between and the campagne was one mission shorter anyway. It sort of felt unfinished, honestly.

So I would love to have the third race fully worked out with a fully fleshed out campagne like the orks and humans. These I liked very much and I anticipated the third one, with my favorite race the elf, but it was a bit let down once I realized it was shorter and I had to play the others races rather than focus on the elves (and dwarves, of course).
Well if you like elves, you wouldn't be disappointed with the upcoming sequel.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megakill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanul

Well if you like elves, you wouldn't be disappointed with the upcoming sequel.
i find it interesting that both an expansion & a sequel are being worked on at the same time (not that i am complaining!).
Old 12-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Love the game but here a few items that stand out;

The Good
  • Upgrades/Perks
  • Wounded
  • Magic system

The Bad
  • Cannot continue mission once quests are done

The Wish List
  • Map Editor
  • User Custom Content
  • More On-Line play options
  • More of everything

Last edited by Ogre; 12-11-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

I like the hexagonal map with TBS combat best because I'm utterly sick of RTS shooters. The geographically-based penalties and bonuses and the perks that modify them are next best, and the full campaign strategy where units are upgraded to elite and losses of attrition affect the final, toughest missions is brillant.

I look forward to the sequel, the random generator and the community mods. Best game I've played since Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Default features I liked

Liked:
1. Terrain bonuses/penalties
2. Magic Items not too powerful
3. Spell range