Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

Default Difficulty seeing

And no, not that I'm blind. I don't have the best of the best in HDTVs, but it's not a bad piece of gear. But, I find more and more, I can not even see people, and they're already shooting at me. Is there a better setting I can use, either in the console settings themselves, or the game? I've messed with brightness, which did no good.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Approved Member

I discovered the other day that in SIM mode you can use the dpad to pan around an external view of your aircraft. This helps in spotting enemies but IMO totaly ruins the whole sim mode. There is nothing sim about having that kind of aid.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterMob6 View Post
And no, not that I'm blind. I don't have the best of the best in HDTVs, but it's not a bad piece of gear. But, I find more and more, I can not even see people, and they're already shooting at me. Is there a better setting I can use, either in the console settings themselves, or the game? I've messed with brightness, which did no good.
I have a crap TV, so here are some tips to find Tangos .

Before the engagement :

- Use the map a lot not only to know the heading of your target but to know over exactly what he is flying. And compare with what you see on the screen such as (he is over the port of dover, just over the cliff, over the see, over a lake....etc)

- Think 3D, if you'are heading towards your enemy but still can't see him, this is either he is below or above you. (or you have a crap SD TV like me and you just can't see him heading towards you apart if he is firing at you)

You will rapidly learn at what distance you should be able to see him.

Here are some tips, if he just respawned, look for him above you (normally respawned aircarft are alone in the map). if he is dogfighting with one of your teamate look below you.

And finally remember :
it is easier to find someone above you than below you (razing the land), but you lost your altitude advantage. When you are firing you reveal your position from a great distance, so search for dogfights and get onboard the train as the last wagon

And now the big part when dogfighting

- Here is the typical case:
You are engaged in a fierce turning dogfight for about 3 minutes, I mean you think so because you haven't seen you opponent yet, but your dots are matched in the map.

Don't be scared of being blind, the reason is so simple: Whenever you can't see an enemy on Sim this is just because he is on your tail.

Want to be sure ?? here are the steps :
1/ Stop turning, 2/ then look behind 3/ do a barrel roll while looking behind.
4/To late you are dead

- So what to do ??? You've already spot your opponent following the "before engagement instructions"

=> Do not ever lose track of him with the Hat switch apart if you are doing a dangerous Dive turn and know exactly where he is going to be 4 seconds later.

If you are in a horizontal turning dog fight and he is not just behind you, but he has still an advandage, you should be able to see him killing you while looking up so. => You are turning ??? always look up.

Remember, visibility is the most crucial element in Sim, know if he can see you

Hope it will help. SIM is certainly the best mode because you can survive a chaser and kill him following an evasive manouevre. So intense.

But usually it's more like "Mayday, Mayday, I've got one on my tail, Can't see him, ArggBZZZVeXXXZDZ.........."
Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrizz View Post

=> Do not ever lose track of him with the Hat switch apart if you are doing a dangerous
The hat switch will take some pratice and getting used to.(like benrizz I really need it because of my screen, if i lose target, it will be very hard to spot it again).
It will most likely cause you to die a few times (I know I did). it is with the planes that have no cockpit, so when you look around, you attitude is sometimes not clear.
It happend to me many times in the beginning, I was turning low to the ground, had been turning for a few 360's keeping my joystick in the same spot all the time. Then, I use the hat switch for just 1 sec to check my target. I let the hat switch go, and all of a sudden I see that i'm nose down and...boom.
Dont know if thats just me, but I'm pretty sure I was keeping my jostick in the exact same turn when using the hat switch and then crashing. It is as if the hat siwtch also moves some flight controls at bit.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrizz
And now the big part when dogfighting

- Here is the typical case:
You are engaged in a fierce turning dogfight for about 3 minutes, I mean you think so because you haven't seen you opponent yet, but your dots are matched in the map.

Don't be scared of being blind, the reason is so simple: Whenever you can't see an enemy on Sim this is just because he is on your tail.
If you want to fully understand that. Go training Sim mode against 16 opponents.

You will see that you can only see max 4 bandits at a time. And finally you get shot down..... The game zoom out....

And you finally see that you had 12 bandits on your tail during 5 minutes.
But you weren't able to see them (12 planes !!!!) all the time. That's just an incredible picture to look at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgothNL View Post
The hat switch will take some pratice and getting used to.(like benrizz I really need it because of my screen, if i lose target, it will be very hard to spot it again).
It will most likely cause you to die a few times (I know I did). it is with the planes that have no cockpit, so when you look around, you attitude is sometimes not clear.
It happend to me many times in the beginning, I was turning low to the ground, had been turning for a few 360's keeping my joystick in the same spot all the time. Then, I use the hat switch for just 1 sec to check my target. I let the hat switch go, and all of a sudden I see that i'm nose down and...boom.
Dont know if thats just me, but I'm pretty sure I was keeping my jostick in the exact same turn when using the hat switch and then crashing. It is as if the hat siwtch also moves some flight controls at bit.
Yeah Morghot is right you have to realese the hat switch often to check your heading, altitude...etc and do the proper corrections

Even without puting a direction in your stick your plane will either dive or climb in a turn. But with time you will get how to handle it
Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterMob6 View Post
I know what you mean. Doing the campaign on simulator on a 32" 720p TV has the exact same problem. Flying along, wingman calls "bogeys dead ahead". I can see nothing then all of a sudden a load of incoming enemy fire - then the planes appear. The devs realise it's a problem and it will be fixed in the patch.

If you don't have a flightstick, like me, switch your controls to aviator mode (options -> press square, or whatever XBox button it says in the bottom left -> then go right once from the default).

This lets you use the right stick without having to press R3 which is a massive help. Unless you want to land. Or use a bomber's gun turret.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteStates View Post
If you don't have a flightstick, like me, switch your controls to aviator mode (options -> press square, or whatever XBox button it says in the bottom left -> then go right once from the default).
On Xbox we can't choose different options for our controller.

For other Xbox user, Am I right ?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrizz View Post
On Xbox we can't choose different options for our controller.

For other Xbox user, Am I right ?
You're right. We will be after the update though.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Approved Member

Think of how I feel! I play on a 12" SDTV. I can barely read the menu, let alone the hud. xD
Old 10-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Wow, lots of input and suggestions. Right on. Well, I do use the hat switch on the flight stick, and once I can get my eyes on an enemy, I can pretty much keep them on. The problem is initially getting eyes on. I'm playing on a 1080P 32" screen (beautiful scenery, btw). However, if they realize it's an issue, and it's in the works for being fixed; kudos.