Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Approved Member

Oh my ... Just as I expected the PSU is too weak for the combo of CPU and GFX card. The GTX 480 alone draws 42 Ampere under full load and the old PSU could only supply 36 Ampere. At least nothing bad ... can be solved by judicious application of money.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csThor View Post
I am in the process of planning an upgrade for my PC (don't bother telling me to wait, I'm still on an ancient Athlon XP 3000) and I am wondering if it does make sense to invest a bit of money into a small SSD hard disk just for the OS (which is going to be Win7 Professional). I'm thinking about a small drive, just 60GB or so (since the larger ones are still far too expensive for my taste) plus a normal 1000GB SATA-600 HDD for the other programs.

Is anyone deeper into that one? What do you think?
Jagdhund kann Dir seine Erfahrungen berichten, frag ihn!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Approved Member

Kommst ein wenig spät ... hab alles schon gekauft.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Madfish, I think I understand the bigger OS picture now and it's involvement in the game loading/running.

I am still going to get that 64Gb SSD, well you just have to jump in somewhere with the new stuff don't you

I'm going to load Win7 on it and transfer my Flight HDD to the new rig and see how it runs. After a while I'll move IL-2 and/or FSX to the SSD and see if there's any difference.

btw that report I posted a link for said:
Conclusions
Gamers want the game to load instantly and play at maximum possible frames per second (FPS) with all features turned on. Using that as our measurement objective we found:
• 4.4% improvement in average game loading time was obtained.
• 6.4% improvement in frames per second was measured.
• 33.5% improvement on one test and 58.3% on another was realized in system benchmarks.
Using a solid state drive will give the gamer the extra edge he or she is seeking.

The games that were used in the testing were:
• Call fo Duty 4
• Crysis
• FarCry 2
• Left4DEad
• Stalker Clear Sky

I'm not saying they're right, and it's not a great improvement, but I'll find out.

Be interesting to see what csThor makes of it too.

Speaking of whom - thanks for the thread csThor, it gave me a lot of useful info

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders