Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fulqrum PublishingGames > 7,62

7,62 Tactical action game, sequel to Brigade E5

Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Default Tearing my hair at difficulty

I'm just really frustrated at this game. I'm playing as smart as I can, but it feels like the enemies have near perfect aim while my guy is just eating up ammo without any hits.

Currently using Blue Sun mod, "arbitrary" difficulty with no crits | low energy | eagerness | quick repair | show hit | last enemy

It took me more than an hour to finish the Army Base (accepted Cyrus Lond's mission), and now, even at lowest speed, I keep getting ambushed by 10 soldiers.

What are the optimal difficulty settings?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

so you got the army base right? and you got the UMP from the safe?
For some ammo go to the next bartender sell him the mags and then buy them back, with full ammo (just nescessary if the bartender havent got some .45 cal crates) and from now on, best way to survive go to prone and hide until it is dark and then kill them silently... BUT just kill max. 2 enemys OR fire max. 4-6 shots and then change your position otherwise the enemys will fire at your position and maybe one bullet hit you or you get flanked or naded.

on the other hand you can just try to run to the next exit area wait 7 seconds and then leave.

maybe another good difficult setting may e "easy money" so you get more money for selling weapons
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Approved Member

Try the "low adrenaline" setting : your mercs will shoot straight and won't be shocked by the number of enemies they see (even the rookies). But after a while, you'll find the game too easy! (unless you stack your troops standing in the open in a firefight against a bigger number of adversaries with better weapons, heavier armour, ....)
Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Approved Member

I remember fondly how I found Brigade E5 ridiculously difficult, that first battle with a broken M16 and a pistol, and possibly a second guy. Then around 4 enemies came at you.

I found it nearly impossible, although at one point I managed to shoot three guys in the head around 50 meters.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but eventually you'll figure out how the AI works and what tactics are suitable. More often than not you are completely outnumbered and outgunned and you can not confront the enemy directly. Only against bandits or small isolated groups you can go head to head and survive without a scratch.

It usually comes down to have one of your guys with high stamina skirmishing the enemy, getting close, firing off a few bursts or some well aimed shots, maybe a grenade and killing a few .. and running the hell away again. They'll probably pursue your scout, and they'll run into a deadly crossfire of a high caliber rifle and an automatic weapon.

I like to compare the enemies to random mooks from some evil overlord that doesn't care that they get blown up or have 20 of em die in a single burst. It's all about knowing when you re about to be overrun and when you can still hold the line.

Don't hesitate to use consumables, like grenades, rifle grenades, rocket launchers and very important: smoke grenades. They'll save your life. Even if a grenade doesn't kill or severely injure an enemy, it will shock him, canceling his action, and he needs to aim all over again.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Approved Member

Default AI guesses things!

Also remember that the enemies will try to guess where you are shooting from even if they can't see you! The AI WILL fire at your general direction upon being shot at, sometimes even at a completely random direction. But the point is the AI tries to guess where your mercs are, so they try to flush them (you) out. If you have silencers, you can fire a shot or two at the enemies during night, stop, maybe move to another spot, and repeat. They'll have much more difficulty tracking you down.

I took out the entire rebel camp with just one merc at night with a silenced 6.8mm H&K DMR rifle. I fired one shot every 30 seconds maybe. They were just running around like scared sheep, some of them firing at my general direction, but they never could pinpoint the location of the merc.

Also, early in the game, use shotguns - you're much more likely to hit something with them. And don't be afraid to empty an entire clip from an SMG.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Default Some general tips

I was incredibly frustrated with BE5 back when I first got it, you might say I had a love/hate-relationship with the game (I loved BE5, and BE5 hated me). The first few hours of the game were just painful. A bandit ambush was a death sentence. However, I found these tips to helpful with both games;

1. Solo=dead. Hire a merc ASAP. By doing so you've effectively doubled the firepower at your disposal.

2. Weapon at ready. By default, you should have your weapon prepared. Shaves a second or two that might prove fatal.

3. Use aimed shots. Whenever there's a bit of range between you and your target, you'll be far more likely to hit with the carefully aimed shots. Maximum amount of lead in the air is not always the best solution.

4. Shotguns and SMGs. In the beginning, you should try to get a decent shotgun before you leave the first town. (I do play with "Easy Money" switched on, though, so it might be quite a bit more difficult to accomplish.)

5. Crouched is the stance to use. A good compromise between mobility and safety. Standing up you're a bullet magnet, and while prone you turn slower than a snail in a tar pit.

6. Eyes on your back. The big adjustment I had to make going from BE5 to 7.62 was the fact that enemies, more often than not, come at you from many directions. It's a good idea to use a merc as a spotter/rearguard so you won't get flanked.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have most of the easy options selected, aside from dumb enemies and low adrenaline. And sometimes the critical hit-thing. I can't imagine what kind of a strategy genius makes it on the hardest difficulty setting.

Last edited by Worbah; 04-12-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Approved Member

I would add some things to this tips list, like:
1. Look for boxes. At leas some guns, bags, vests, ammo pouches and similar junk for usage/vendoring is always there. Although why this is the case - beats me
2. Use grenades. Preferably from your pockets. You can activate (via right click pop out menu) them and throw them WITHOUT switching weapons (just drag them as if you would like to throw them on the ground, just remember to HOLD that mouse button ). This is perfect, if you need to just make a quick run away from a squad of baddies, who are facing you. Lob a grenade and while they are shocked - run to a safe spot. Also - insta-activating-and-throwing work both ways, so do not expect mercy from AI if you stick in a bunch.
3. Use house corners with double level firepower, i.e. prepare an ambush at the corner, with two mercs waiting around it: first - crouched and aimed at the corner. Another standing right behind him aiming at the same spot. Something like musketters
4. Use alt+cursor to make a quick turn around the corners. Take a shot or two from hip, then get back to cover in the same manner via alt+cursor.
5. When you run sideways - you are a hard target. Use that do distract AI AND lure them to a nicely prepared fire zone
6. Save often =)
Old 04-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Approved Member

The basic rule in combat in real life can be broken down to 'no fire without movement, no movement without fire'.

This means: Split your squad into at least 2 fireteams who cover each other. one moves, the other shoots.

Next point: A machine gun is useless in dynamic combat. place it somewhere (preferably flanking the enemy), let it fire some bursts and let it change position and repeat that (also here can be use 2 mg in a squad, covering each other, if there are enough men available).

Another (pretty elegant but also difficult) technique is sometimes called 'guerilla tango'. It's a special kind of hit and run: try catching the enemy's flank, firing a few bursts. when the enemy starts to regroup, you regroup yout team to get into the enemies flank again, and so on... Maybe I draw a sketch later
Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuujis View Post
1. Look for boxes. At leas some guns, bags, vests, ammo pouches and similar junk for usage/vendoring is always there. Although why this is the case - beats me
2. Use grenades. Preferably from your pockets. You can activate (via right click pop out menu) them and throw them WITHOUT switching weapons (just drag them as if you would like to throw them on the ground, just remember to HOLD that mouse button ). This is perfect, if you need to just make a quick run away from a squad of baddies, who are facing you. Lob a grenade and while they are shocked - run to a safe spot. Also - insta-activating-and-throwing work both ways, so do not expect mercy from AI if you stick in a bunch.
Oh, forgot about the boxes. There are a lot of different type containers to be found in the game, and at least in the vanilla you can find shotguns and assault rifles in some of them.

I've been playing the game for years now, and I never knew you didn't have to equip grenades. Better late than never I guess.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worbah View Post
I was incredibly frustrated with BE5 back when I first got it, you might say I had a love/hate-relationship with the game (I loved BE5, and BE5 hated me). The first few hours of the game were just painful. A bandit ambush was a death sentence. However, I found these tips to helpful with both games;

1. Solo=dead. Hire a merc ASAP. By doing so you've effectively doubled the firepower at your disposal.

2. Weapon at ready. By default, you should have your weapon prepared. Shaves a second or two that might prove fatal.

3. Use aimed shots. Whenever there's a bit of range between you and your target, you'll be far more likely to hit with the carefully aimed shots. Maximum amount of lead in the air is not always the best solution.

4. Shotguns and SMGs. In the beginning, you should try to get a decent shotgun before you leave the first town. (I do play with "Easy Money" switched on, though, so it might be quite a bit more difficult to accomplish.)

5. Crouched is the stance to use. A good compromise between mobility and safety. Standing up you're a bullet magnet, and while prone you turn slower than a snail in a tar pit.

6. Eyes on your back. The big adjustment I had to make going from BE5 to 7.62 was the fact that enemies, more often than not, come at you from many directions. It's a good idea to use a merc as a spotter/rearguard so you won't get flanked.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have most of the easy options selected, aside from dumb enemies and low adrenaline. And sometimes the critical hit-thing. I can't imagine what kind of a strategy genius makes it on the hardest difficulty setting.
I agree with all of this. Definitely get a buddy, and always keep the weapon ready. Going off 4&5 I find accuracy is far and away the most important thing. Aimed shot will beat bursting or pot shotting if you're more than two feet from someone. This is especially true since hitting them keeps them from firing back, due to both shock and them having to reaim.
In BE5 I usually used prone, since the enemy generally did the same, and came at you from one direction only. Now I only ever use fast crawl, since like you said it's a good compromise: you're almost as fast as standing, but a bit more accurate and a bit smaller.

I have to disagree with SMGs though. Shotguns are incredible at mid-short range (I think ~20-30m is where I like them), since they are very accurate (well, they may not be accurate, but the whole "loads of shot" thing means they hit a lot, at least). Past that I love rifles for the 1st few CGLs. They are so very accurate, especially compared to other early game guns, that a slightly slower speed is more than made up for by the fact that you will hit them. Sure, the enemy SMG gets off three shots to your one, but yours hits and all three of theirs are liable to miss. The mosin is the exception to this, since it is simply too slow: by the time they can shoot a hundred shots to your one it's a lost cause. SMGs are good for in-your-face fighting, but I'd usually like a shotgun or SKS instead.

I kind of use The Brain's strategy, of generally trying to use two teams. Instead of having two equal teams though, I usually like to have a bigger team (4-5 members) with long range, accurate guns, and a small flanking squad armed with something close range and silenced to sneak around back. They try and come close enough to the enemy to have a good chance to hit, but far enough away that they aren't immediately found and can run if needed. The VAL was king of this in BE5 due to it's nutty range curve (basically 100% accurate out to 50m, 0% further), silencer, and strong 9x39 ammo. This also means it's one "maneuver" team and one "flanking" team, not two "fire and maneuver" teams. Are you usually leapfrogging, or trying to have one pin and one flank?

I don't think I've ever thrown a grenade though. Most of that is not wanting to spend the time to switch away from my gun, so knowing you can do it from the vest is awesome. Still though, how close are you usually when you do use them? Do the AI not just run away from them?

Last edited by safoolfool; 04-13-2011 at 03:55 AM.