Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

View Poll Results: What do you think of this kind of pre-purchase option for SOW?
I think it's a good idea and probably would pre-purchase. 108 69.68%
I think it's a good idea but probably would not pre-purchase. 13 8.39%
I think it's a bad idea. 34 21.94%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Approved Member

Debate aside, SoW is BETA tested internally within Oleg's team or the 1C group (he stated something similar to this a while back) so this discussion may be a bit pointless...
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
Debate aside, SoW is BETA tested internally within Oleg's team or the 1C group (he stated something similar to this a while back) so this discussion may be a bit pointless...
So you think A-10C is not being tested by a group of dedicated testers? Think again.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Approved Member

I wasn't saying that. I was saying that, from what Oleg has said, this kind of offer won't be offerred to the community in this way.
My comment wasn't saying anything against DCS.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I wasn't saying that. I was saying that, from what Oleg has said, this kind of offer won't be offerred to the community in this way.
My comment wasn't saying anything against DCS.
It's up to Oleg to decide, if you mean it.

That doesn't make the discussion pointless, though.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Approved Member

But what would make it pointless is if Oleg's previous comment was set in stone. IIRC, he made it quite clear there wouldn't be an open BETA.
But you can still discuss DCS. I personally can't see SoW having an open BETA and personally I don't think it matters. Even if Oleg wished it, he wouldn't have the time (I don't think) to put it together, as they are so busy working on getting the game out. He discounted the idea of a demo for similar reasons too as far as I can recall.
However, i'd be happy to be proved wrong, although I doubt my PC could handle the game on lowest details anyway.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Approved Member

Has anyone told you that Beta is not running already?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
But what would make it pointless is if Oleg's previous comment was set in stone. IIRC, he made it quite clear there wouldn't be an open BETA.
But you can still discuss DCS. I personally can't see SoW having an open BETA and personally I don't think it matters. Even if Oleg wished it, he wouldn't have the time (I don't think) to put it together, as they are so busy working on getting the game out. He discounted the idea of a demo for similar reasons too as far as I can recall.
However, i'd be happy to be proved wrong, although I doubt my PC could handle the game on lowest details anyway.
A demo is a completely different thing than an open-beta.

A demo represents the full version of the game as an advertising. Therefore it has to work nearly perfect.

An OpenBeta is a beta-version of the game and as such by definition is incomplete and not representative of the final version.

Oleg is not God. He's not almighty and knowing everything and as such nothing he says is set in stone, ever. He's making announcements based on his experience, good reasoning and things he knows better than any of us.

If it was otherwise, we'd all be playing BoB already.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Approved Member

A good point about the demo
I think, though, that the point is Oleg doesn't have the time to work on either.

Dolphin, Oleg seemed to state that, since the beta isn't going to be open to the public, then maybe they are already testing it? As far as their internal testing process goes, the impression I have been under is that it kind of negates the need for a BETA as their platform (that is SoW) is continually being changed, developed, bug-tested, cleaned, changed, developed etc
Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Approved Member

S!

Open beta would be a catastrophe. I dare to say over 90% of people would just play it, bitch about it and not methodically test anything. The whinery would go through the roof. If Oleg uses an internal team it is fully understandable as they can have schedules on what to test etc. More efficient IMO. There will for sure be bugs discovered after release everyone can report in.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Approved Member

I think there is some basic misunderstanding here.

An OpenBeta is not a Beta is not a demo.

Based on general rules and my personal experience in a dozen open and closed betas:

A betatest is an internal test that is used to find and eliminate bug with a small but very well coordinated team under NDA. Most of the time this team is already involved with alpha-testing.

An OpenBeta offers a wide variety of testers, but largely for rather uncoordinated testing. It's mostly used to access a wider array of hardware to find possible incompatibility-problems or stress-testing servers.
In parallel a BetaTeam still continues testing and also listens to reports of the OpenBeta crowd additional to their own coordinated testing.

In most (Open-) Betas I participated in, OpenBeta-Testers and Betatesters had different versions of the same software.

I hope you see the differences and why some arguments posted in this thread lack some fundamental insight.