Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Approved Member

yes, i go along with Spinner - one step down from the top for value!

and yes directx 11 is a must

Currently running 4gig of ram, with a 9800 card but only 2.4 duel core from 3 years ago, i have to turn the landscape detail down for RoF.

Only mentioned Dell as I bought a nice laptop for my wife from Dell, which has been problem free for 12 months....just had to pay for it now!

Always fancied building a PC...but i'm scared!

I will look to get my new PC about a month before SoW arrives so it's up and running for THE big event.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Approved Member

I bought a new rig from ibuypower and am very happy. It runs ROF and MS-FSX like butter with everything maxed. Great experince and no I don't work for them.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Always fancied building a PC...but i'm scared!
Don't be. It requires a bit of research but there is an abundance of information available on the subject, just search the internet. I built a pc a while ago and it is great fun, very rewarding and you will feel so much more in control, knowing exactly which components you are running and not just having a little pre-built box from Dell. I'd say definitely go for it. Join a pc forum though, and don't be afraid to ask for help.

As for me, I will probably push the clocks up a little higher on my i7 920, and keep my GTX260 until some time after SOW has been released.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Approved Member

I was going to wait for SoW but then RoF was about to release, so i decided to replace my trusty but aging AhtlonXP. I ended up not buying RoF due to the DRM after all, but i didn't regret getting a new PC in the end.

In April 2009 i got an i7 920 with 3GB of RAM, an Ati 4870 1GB and a 1.5TB 7200RPM seagate hard disk. A couple of months later i replaced my 17" CRT monitor and got a 16:10 22" dell with an IPS panel for best viewing angles and color fidelity.

My graphics card was defective and kicked the bucket next Christmas and i couldn't replace it due to the suppliers running inventory during the holiday season, so i went out and bought an Ati 4890 1GB with the aim of exchanging the replacement 4870 for a second hard disk when the warrantee would come through. I got a 1.5TB western digital, albeit running at a lower RPM, on which i installed Win7 x64 Pro in preparation for the new titles (DX10 support).

I don't think i'll buy or replace anything else for the time being. I always do what some of you already described, buying second best components to ensure maximum value for money. When the 6xxx series Ati cards hit the market and prices on the 5xxx series drop i might upgrade to a 5870 for DX11 support, but not earlier than that. I might also get a bit more RAM, but always multipliers of 3 to take advantage of the motherboard's/i7 tripple channel feature (so i wouldn't go from 3 to 4GB of RAM but from 3 to 6GB).

I might also swap my windows versions between my two hard disks, reinstalling XP on the slower western digital and win7 on the faster seagate, but it depends on how bored i will be transferring data back and forth. I make a habit of always partitioning my disks and put all my data on the second partition. This enables me to skip doing a full backup everytime i want to format my system partition and do an OS reinstall as the second partition is left untouched, so it shouldn't be much of a hassle.

I don't care much for SSDs at present, as their price per GB is so much higher than ordinary hard disks. I can live with 10-20 seconds of extra loading time just fine. I also think that anything more than 6GB of RAM is pretty much overkill for the time being, unless someone is running multiple instances of high-end design programmes with built-in 64 bit support, like photoshop or autocad stuff.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Approved Member

Me!! Me!! Oh me!!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I was going to wait for SoW but then RoF was about to release,
I forgot, what is RoF?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Approved Member

Wait for Sandy Bridge.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Global Moderator

Thumbs up

Look for the Overclocker forums. Lurk on them for a while, do some searches and make some postings.

You'll get as good information as available, because these are the people on the cutting edge of performance all the time.

Most overclockers are very happy to share. You may even be able to work with a few of them and get a complete shopping list.

IMO >>> It is a waste of effort to try to pick out a system now. I'm going wait for the BOB SOW to be out for several months before I start doing anything about it. The entire community will be buzzing with all kinds of information about choosing hardware, etc.

Just my two cents on this
Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Approved Member

I just finished my new build It should handle anything I play for a while.

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair III Formula,
RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) G Skill DDR3 1333,
CPU: AMD 965 Phenom II - 3.4GHz Quad-Core,
Cooling: ZALMAN 9300AT (lapped w/fan removed),
HD: WD Black Edition, 500 GB for the OS and other programs plus 1TB for games,
GPU: EVGA GTX 470,
CD/DVD: LG with LightScribe,
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro,
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series 850W,
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590 with (3) 140mm fans and (1) 120mm fan,
Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Approved Member

only matters the power supply and the video card. off course, you cannot buy a c2d. you need 4 cores.

relieve me, a 5850 will be so poor for Storm Of War ! (shit, What I am going to do now?!!!)

i buy my machine 2 years ago (i was thinking SOW release in early 2009)
Core2Quad 9400 2.66Ghz 45nm - 4x2gb ddr2 800 Kingston = 8GBRAM - XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition 1Gb DDR5 765Mhz/1440steam/ 4.5Gbps- 1/2 Terabyte Wn D 32mb - Mother Assus P5QLE - P&C Silencer 750W - Sentey RJA246 LCD 4 coolers - DVD/RW 20x LG - LCD Samsung P2350n 23" - Edifier C2 2.1+1

waiting for: Il-2: Armée de l’Air; Continuation War; Battle for Moscow; Stalingrad; El Alamein; Sicily; The West Air Campaign; Berlin
ZakKandrachoff