Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

Default TARMAC Aces

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question, hopefully someone here can give me an answer.

Most ppl will think i am completely nuts but i have been looking at getting a stick from these guys...

http://www.valiant-studio.eu/tarmac/html/en/hangar.php

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever experienced with/brought one these sticks and could give me some feedback?

As i said ~£500 so i must be slightly insane....
Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Approved Member

S!

I would love to build a Bf109 or Fw190 cockpit for flying. And using those would make it perfect, even a bit pricey. But again which hobby does not cost in the long run?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Approved Member

As far as I know => It is all good !

Never tried one but have a look to the french C6 forum, many users are posting their comments about the hardware. None negative yet.

http://www.checksix-forums.com/showt...he+de+warbirds

I consider it as a serious piece of equipment. If I add all the money I've spent on saitek's cheap stuff, I'd have way enough €€€ to buy the base and the stick.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

I would try contacting them first as past customers have had issues with "slow" response to enquiries and purchases.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Approved Member

ok- i've got one (and throttle) and am happy with it
i doubt i'd ever go back to 'short' sticks

downsides:-
long waiting times as mentioned
original plastic trigger spoon was a bit fragile- should be a metal one now
over 2 yrs the rubber 'boot' on the stick base seems to have hardened up a bit

anything else you want to know?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Approved Member

It says on their website the universal mechanical base is soon to go out of production, to be replaced by a new version. Might be worth waiting for that, and maybe some other stick models too, depending what you're into.

Thanks for bringing them to my attention though, I'm surprised I haven't seen them mentioned here before. Just going by the info on their website, they're the most authentic replica's I've ever seen. The long throw of their sticks would be great and those pedals look amazing. Their force feedback system sounds good too, with no centering, but still with some resistance to the movement. If I was more serious about it and spent more time simming I'd definitely consider getting some of this gear too. The price is high, but so is the quality, as far as I can tell. I hope the company behind them can make a go of it. Certainly worth at least doing some more researching on.

Edit- Ok, while I was writing Bolox replied with some first hand experience.

Bolox, I'm just curious. Is the force feedback just there to provide some resisitance instead of using actual springs or something, and do they have software for adjusting it, and if so, what's that like? Also, if you've had yours for two years, has the company introduced many new products since you got yours or are they just all talk about 'going to do this, going to do that' and never delivering? Their use of plastic on the trigger seems a bit dodgy too, did they actually say later versions would have metal parts there? And in your case what sort of waiting times did you experience, these products look to me like they'd be made to order one at a time, would that explain the delay or do you think they're just slack?

Last edited by Les; 09-19-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolox View Post
ok- i've got one (and throttle) and am happy with it
i doubt i'd ever go back to 'short' sticks

downsides:-
long waiting times as mentioned
original plastic trigger spoon was a bit fragile- should be a metal one now
over 2 yrs the rubber 'boot' on the stick base seems to have hardened up a bit

anything else you want to know?
Awesome thanks for the information, any chance you could upload some shots of your setup?

Which version do you have, the KG13?

Have you regretted your purchase or do you think that it was worth the money? (I am a keen simmer but have not played il2 for some time... I have ROF but I prefer the ww2 setting so patiently waiting for SOW)

Is there any part other than the trigger that is weak/fragile?

The hardening of the rubber boot, has it affected the use at all?

Do you think that the increased control that this stick gives you has improved your aiming or did you have to get used to flying without a deadspot?

Going back to Les post he mentioned the springs(or whatever system they use) what does the stick feel like, do you need to be firm with it... Im not a fan of light springs?

The force feedback is it strong?
Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

Awesome equipments.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Approved Member

yep kg13

pit pics here
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/bolox00/pit/

no i haven't regreted it in the slightest. had it for 2 yrs and it gets a good workout with il2 and a little ROF

i love the no return to centre (no springs) and the smoothness of control a long stick gives- aiming might be improved slightly (you should be centred while shooting really)where it really shows is on the edge of the envelope with 'twitchy' planes, riding G blackouts etc. that and the fact it feels like a real stick between your legs- forces excepted.
rubber boot- if anything it stiffens up the stick slightly- if it were sprung i doubt i'd notice the difference

lets repeat this- THERE IS NO CENTERING SYSTEM - you push it to a position and it stays there. there is a damping system so you push against a mild force.
there was talk of some sort of force option later- this may be what the new base is about but tarmac are being tight lipped.

if you want a sprung stick
http://schreinerschmid-web.homepage....ession*id*val*
did a sprung kg13 type stick (he frequents here ocassionally aswell)
atm i can't think of a 'long stick' with ffb
Old 09-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the quick reply and images Bolox.

I have sent an email asking for some delivery information etc hopefully i will hear back from them soon.

BTW awesome setup, I don't think I will go as far as that.