Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 08-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Approved Member

Faster than light not possible?

Try this... imagine a train carriage hurtling along at the speed of light and you are just a passerby watching this.
At the rear of the carriage is a chap who throws a ball to another chap at the front of the carriage; that ball is travelling faster than the speed of light.
As an observer, within the carriage, it would appear that there is just one chap throwing a ball to another chap.

There "relativity" was born

A similar thing can be seen with a carousel and two people at opposite sides throwing a ball to each other. To a viewer on the Carousel, the ball appears to go straight, but, when viewed from above, the ball travels in a curve. (corioli effect)

The Fourth dimension is time and us 3 dimensional criters see the shadow of that as "inside/ outside" (but it is both at the same instant - no beginning, no end)
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 08-05-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post

Try this... imagine a train carriage hurtling along at the speed of light and you are just a passerby watching this.
yeah, imagine you're in the Batmobile with Wonderwoman.. that's pretty much the same grounds in terms of that theory's validity..
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Do UFO's exist? - Yes but they aren't alien
Did something alien really crash at Roswell? - No
Did something strange really land at Rendelsham Forest? - Maybe but not alien
Have aliens colonised this planet before? - No
Have they visited? - No
Are abductions real? - No
Did the US government reverse-engineer alien technology and incorporate it into experimental airctraft? - No

Or are aliens and extra-terrestrial life forms nothing more than our modern-day fairies and goblins? - Yes
Figments of wild imaginations and paranoia? - Yes
What Charvel just said plus;

Out of the millions of species on this planet, homo sapiens is unable to communicate in an intelligible way with any but their own species. Some might even debate that point.

Yet we seem to think we can communicate with so called 'alien life forms'. SETI? Ridiculous waste of time, money and brainpower. What are the chances of anything out there being at exactly the right point in its technological development to receive and/or respond to any electromagnetic signal? Out of the billions of years since the formation of the universe, the Human race has had radio technology for what, 110 years? Just seems a bit naive to me. Come to that, what if all alien life is vegetable or viral? Or pink elephants?

If life comes about so easily, then why is our entire solar system devoid of life but for here? They also spend untold amounts of cash going back to Mars again and again in the search for evidence of the potential for life in the past, present or future. It isn't there.
Then the theorists turn to a warm ocean under the ice of Europa as being the next inline for a visit. Then to Titan as being a future life bearing moon with its alternative life-friendly chemistry.

It all boils down to people being unable to accept that this is it. This is all there is. Life's a bitch and then you die etc.

Fairies and goblins is bang on.

Having said that, my bookshelves are full of science fiction. I love it, but that's what it is, fiction.

Blimey, I think I just had a bit of a rant. Sorry chaps!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg View Post
I guy I grew up with- his dad was a B-52 jockey towards the end of the war- the first time a rocket propelled cannon platform came up thru their formation, took out a bomber and vanished, panic does NOT quite cover the hysteria that over took the entire groupe.
After debriefing none of the crews were allowed to talk about it, but they did, initially it was simply assumed the germans had some futuristic buck rogers rocketship type thing, maybe they had a base on the moon, the theorys were wild and speculative to say the least, but we were all doomed, lol.

UFO
The B-52 would have been quite a surprise for the Germans, too!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post

At the rear of the carriage is a chap who throws a ball to another chap at the front of the carriage; that ball is travelling faster than the speed of light.
As an observer, within the carriage, it would appear that there is just one chap throwing a ball to another chap.

There "relativity" was born

A similar thing can be seen with a carousel and two people at opposite sides throwing a ball to each other. To a viewer on the Carousel, the ball appears to go straight, but, when viewed from above, the ball travels in a curve. (corioli effect)

The Fourth dimension is time and us 3 dimensional criters see the shadow of that as "inside/ outside" (but it is both at the same instant - no beginning, no end)
Nope, sorry. Doesn't work like that. For one, as you approach the speed of light your mass becomes infinite. Time will adjust so that the speed of light is never exceeded.

If you are talking relative to another object, sure. a light beam going one way compared to a light beam traveling the other will add up to twice the speed of light but the point is neither in themselves will exceed it. You cannot throw the ball any faster than the speed of light in your example.

The experimental evidence for this is already out there.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
What Charvel just said plus;

Out of the millions of species on this planet, homo sapiens is unable to communicate in an intelligible way with any but their own species. Some might even debate that point.
erm, we can have forms of basic communication with other animals actually.

Quote:
Yet we seem to think we can communicate with so called 'alien life forms'. SETI? Ridiculous waste of time, money and brainpower. What are the chances of anything out there being at exactly the right point in its technological development to receive and/or respond to any electromagnetic signal? Out of the billions of years since the formation of the universe, the Human race has had radio technology for what, 110 years? Just seems a bit naive to me. Come to that, what if all alien life is vegetable or viral? Or pink elephants?
lol that's a bit generic man! Considering that the faster way of transmitting data that we have at the moment in space is light and radio waves, I reckon it's worth a try. Our first radio waves are roughly 80 light years away from our planet as we speak, not much, but it's a start.

Quote:
If life comes about so easily, then why is our entire solar system devoid of life but for here? They also spend untold amounts of cash going back to Mars again and again in the search for evidence of the potential for life in the past, present or future. It isn't there.
Then the theorists turn to a warm ocean under the ice of Europa as being the next inline for a visit. Then to Titan as being a future life bearing moon with its alternative life-friendly chemistry.
it's all fascinating speculation, they're not gonna go nowhere anytime soon. If by 2030 they really make it to mars I'd be well impressed, not for the achievement per se, but because I expect modern society to fail way before that date.
Quote:
It all boils down to people being unable to accept that this is it. This is all there is. Life's a bitch and then you die etc.

Fairies and goblins is bang on.

Having said that, my bookshelves are full of science fiction. I love it, but that's what it is, fiction.
it's obvious that our society is not ready for space exploration, simply because we can't live in peace on this planet as it is. But it's within human nature to ask questions: 1000 years ago they couldn't explain what a lightning is, so it was "god", now we have different horizons. You can't just sit back and relax, I find the research they do very fascinating, and worth spending more money than wars for sure.

Quote:
Blimey, I think I just had a bit of a rant. Sorry chaps!
It's ok, it's friday, time to hit the pub me thinks!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

I disagree about human civilization destroying itself. That's an echo that reverberates through the generations past the sixties when it was hip to emote self-loathing. These subsequent generations also tend to be myopic, understandably just as any generation, without anything to compare their times with.

Humanity is far more resilient than we give ourselves credit for, and has progressed in too many positive ways that the doom-and-gloom crowd choose to ignore when forming their world views.

However, with that said, technology advancement has not only grown but accelerated over the past 100 years which makes society's response time too "laggy" to adjust and react quickly enough. Also, it will take some time to settle out as a pan-global society that largely polices itself, not out of moral or religious values (actually a negative force against stability as it's used inevitably for control by few individuals over the many) but out of economic practicality.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrojet View Post
The B-52 would have been quite a surprise for the Germans, too!

lawl
See what happens when you listen to pop rock groups from Georgia while posting?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharveL View Post
I disagree about human civilization destroying itself. .
two words

dee troit
Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
yeah, imagine you're in the Batmobile with Wonderwoman.. that's pretty much the same grounds in terms of that theory's validity..
Catwoman would get jealous though...

now to the point... when you can't plausably discredit the fact you resort to ridiculing it. Its an age old human trait, indicating a closed mind.
Ridicule it all you want, but you'll never change the fact that the ball has to travel faster than the carriage in order to travel from the rear to front along the carriage's line of travel.
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.