Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Approved Member

Exclamation SHOOTING at the OLYMPICS

A trigger-happy American , big surprise there
Hopefully the United Nations will move forward with its resolution this week.
LONDON (AP) — Kim Rhode won the gold medal in women's skeet shooting Sunday, making her the first American to take an individual-sport medal in five consecutive Olympics.

Rhode tied the world record and set an Olympic record with 99 points. Wei Ning of China took silver with 91 points and Danka Bartekova of Slovakia got bronze by beating Marina Belikova of Russia in a shootout after they tied with 90 points.

Rhode won a gold medal in double trap at Atlanta as a teenager in 1996, took bronze in that event four years later at Sydney, re-claimed the gold at Athens in 2004 and won the silver in skeet at Beijing in 2008.

In qualifying, Rhode set another Olympic record, missing only one of her 75 shots. Rhode led by four points entering the final, and the way she was connecting Sunday, there was no way she was getting caught.

Last edited by baronWastelan; 07-29-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Approved Member

ehh, I read the tit bit from google on this and it seems Fins make the best shooters. Doubt there will be many British shooters as you need expressed permission from the home office to have a rifle.

This guy should have entered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
ehh, I read the tit bit from google on this and it seems Fins make the best shooters. Doubt there will be many British shooters as you need expressed permission from the home office to have a rifle.

This guy should have entered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
How many Olympics have you watched Farber? The UK is fourth overall in the all time World rankings for Olympic shooting medals.

Great Britain's Peter Wilson just won Olympic Gold for the Mens double trap competition. He is also the current World record holder by a country mile, "Blowing away" the competition (lol) in Tucson, Arizona at the World Championships this year. GB has always had great shooters.

Finns are Ok, but the Swedes, Italians and Russians are better. The Russians blow the US away in World Championship records, but the US have a higher Olympic haul.

Still, when you calculate "per capita" awesomeness (to the OP), the US are nowhere near the best shooters. That would be the Swedes as far as Olympics are concerned. Fact.

Just thought I'd at least attempt to get back to the original subject matter, before everyone started talking drivel.

Just read about the 7 (to date) killed at a Sikh Temple Massacre by some US gun nutter though; probably some web footed, banjo duelling red neck who thought they were "Muzzies" (as if that's an excuse), and he was protecting "Freedom".

A police officer he shot several times is also critically injured, and may not survive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19138754

Never met a Sikh person I didn't like btw, usually lovely people who keep themselves to themselves.

Last edited by RCAF_FB_Orville; 08-06-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAF_FB_Orville View Post
How many Olympics have you watched Farber? The UK is fourth overall in the all time World rankings for Olympic shooting medals.

Great Britain's Peter Wilson just won Olympic Gold for the Mens double trap competition. He is also the current World record holder by a country mile, "Blowing away" the competition (lol) in Tucson, Arizona at the World Championships this year. GB has always had great shooters.

Finns are Ok, but the Swedes, Italians and Russians are better. The Russians blow the US away in World Championship records, but the US have a higher Olympic haul.

Still, when you calculate "per capita" awesomeness (to the OP), the US are nowhere near the best shooters. That would be the Swedes as far as Olympics are concerned. Fact.

Just thought I'd at least attempt to get back to the original subject matter, before everyone started talking drivel.

Just read about the 7 (to date) killed at a Sikh Temple Massacre by some US gun nutter though; probably some web footed, banjo duelling red neck who thought they were "Muzzies" (as if that's an excuse), and he was protecting "Freedom".

A police officer he shot several times is also critically injured, and may not survive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19138754

Never met a Sikh person I didn't like btw, usually lovely people who keep themselves to themselves.
it's the equation "gun=nut" that really creates the issue. He's just a nutjob who decided to use guns to do what he wanted to do, and once again the core issue is that if that person was regularly checked and was forced to attend a gun club, he wouldn't have got to that stage. People commit these senseless crimes because they isolate themselves and the rest of the society pretends not to see them..
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
it's the equation "gun=nut" that really creates the issue. He's just a nutjob who decided to use guns to do what he wanted to do, and once again the core issue is that if that person was regularly checked and was forced to attend a gun club, he wouldn't have got to that stage. People commit these senseless crimes because they isolate themselves and the rest of the society pretends not to see them..
Wrong. The world is full of crazy people that just aren't spotted. Lots of crazy people (and I include clinically insane as well as those with extreme beliefs) can get past tests put before them especially when they are focussed on the end result.

You can also be completely "sane" and integrated into a community and still murder e.g. Dr Harold Shipman. I once had an interesting jurisprudence argument with the hypothesis being that it is impossible to murder. The raionale was that to murder someone was so far removed form normal sciety that the killer had to be insane, therefore it could not be murder.

Hood

ps the P51 footage was underwhelming I thought. I thought it'd be louder though maybe the noise was turned down.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
Wrong. The world is full of crazy people that just aren't spotted. Lots of crazy people (and I include clinically insane as well as those with extreme beliefs) can get past tests put before them especially when they are focussed on the end result.
and that's my point, they need to address the way licenses are assigned, and keep checks recurrent for the safety of everybody.

Quote:
You can also be completely "sane" and integrated into a community and still murder e.g. Dr Harold Shipman. I once had an interesting jurisprudence argument with the hypothesis being that it is impossible to murder. The raionale was that to murder someone was so far removed form normal sciety that the killer had to be insane, therefore it could not be murder.
sure, but if memory serves he killed more than 250 people without using guns. Guns are not the problem, they're just "louder" and there are far too many interests in our society for them to be removed..

Quote:
ps the P51 footage was underwhelming I thought. I thought it'd be louder though maybe the noise was turned down.
maybe, it kinda sounded muffled, but it might just be audio quality as you said. I have heard 8 .50cals shooting together whilst in the army and I can assure you they're LOUD
Old 07-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronWastelan View Post
Hopefully the United Nations will move forward with its resolution this week.
Good god I hope not. Or heck have it for yourselves, I just hope we stay out of it.

Free men are armed, slaves need permission.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post
Good god I hope not. Or heck have it for yourselves, I just hope we stay out of it.

Free men are armed, slaves need permission.
Oh, so that is why the US have been constantly involved in military actions for the last two centuries? Ensuring that the rest of the world remain their slaves...

Makes perferct sense, though you may want to try not to **** up your banks leading the world into financial chaos
Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
Oh, so that is why the US have been constantly involved in military actions for the last two centuries? Ensuring that the rest of the world remain their slaves...

Makes perferct sense, though you may want to try not to **** up your banks leading the world into financial chaos
Well they already did and now to have Obama sit in on Euro meetings and tell us to fix the Euro crisis is a bit rich, seeing as the whole financial crisis originated in America and the selling of subprime mortages to people who could not keep up the repayments ........ Re-Regulate the worlds financial sector now!!!! Maggie and Reagan have a lot to answer for, cause that's where the deregulation began ...................

Last edited by Walshy; 07-29-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Approved Member

Two films to watch that I recommend The Last Days of Lehman Brothers and Inside Job
Closed Thread