Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

View Poll Results: Do Red/Blackouts improve the game?
Yes 29 85.29%
No 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Approved Member

Default Do Red/Blackouts add positively to the game?

I'm personally just finding them frustrating. I've spent weeks learning to cope with stalling, then along comes an even worse enemy. Maybe it's because I need to get used to it and/or learn a different way of flying, but I don't feel I can compete as effectively as I used to.

Maybe guys who've come from PC are more used to coping with it which is why I've essentially been demoted to noob status again, but so far it's taken enjoyment out of the game for me.

Just wondering what others think...? Is it just me?

EDIT: I think the dream before the patch was that re-introducing them would change the nature of online games. But so far (although it may be a bit early to tell) that doesn't seem to be the case. It just makes the old style of play more frustrating. Again, maybe that will change over time.

Last edited by InfiniteStates; 12-09-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Approved Member

I've noticed that I get killed less. So from a slefish point of view they are ok.

But..
It's a pain when you've managed to get on someone's tail and then you lose sight of them due to the fact that your eyes have turned to mush..

Swings and roundabouts? I know a couple of people online are very unhappy with them!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Approved Member

im not crazy about blacking out. if you turn the screen brightness all the way up in options, you can see thru the blackness alot better.

it would have been nice to have blacking out, as an option.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Approved Member

totally love it: adds to the immersion factor and also gives you better feel for the speed and the stress applied to the plane. I feel like i can perform better manoeuvers this way, not spending enrgy in abrupt move when I dont have to but cant feel it...

It would b even better if there would b total blackouts imo, when you pull exessive G's. Would certainly b a bitch for those over-agressive pilots out there
Old 12-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

I love it, it makes evading a lot easier but means getting kills a lot harder.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Approved Member

It is much better now than it was before. It used to be a spitfire going 450kph could zoom vertical till they slowed to corner speed right at the top of the loop, then used gravity + corner speed to line up a gun shot. It was effective against just about all planes except other spitfires. Now when people try to do that, they can't see anything, so it doesn't work. Now when I see a spitfire try to make a vertical turn, it is an easy, high-aspect target, where it used to mean a head-on attack.

It is also more realistic when a plane is chasing you at around 300 at max-sustained g, it is possible to jink out of sight.

So it lets other planes into the game, and it makes you fly smarter, figuring out the best line to follow to acquire the target. Instead of always picking the path that gets angles the fastest.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Approved Member

I love it, Boom and Zoom actually works now
Old 12-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Approved Member

The blackouts/redouts certainly add some realism to the game but personally im just not liking them. My game was to shoot planes whilst turning since i could get a nice aimed shot at the engine resulting in a 1 shot kill almost every time but now this is almost impossible since i can barely see the plane once in a blackout. Before the patch the La-7 was the best fighter plane in the game, i had it fine tuned to win every fight. Even head on against those 109's but now im not so sure, all it needs is a slight turn to blackout so for me its completely changed the game. I dont think they improve or disprove the game its just gonna take some getting used to, the blackouts have changed everything. Dogfights seem to be suited more to zoom and boom planes now since you dont blackout so easily in those 109's or fw's.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX-SiLeNCE-Xx View Post
I love it, Boom and Zoom actually works now
Ahhhhhh, music to my ears. Can't wait for the 360 patch!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

I played Jane's WW2 Fighters as a kid, that game had redouts/blackouts. So the addition in IL2 made me feel more at home. It adds an extra level of difficulty to the game.