Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds > Crossworlds Campaigns

Crossworlds Campaigns Questions, strategies, hints and other info about campaigns in KB: Crossworlds.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

Default Orcs on the March thread

I know there's plenty of threads on issues relating to this campaign already, but I thought this could be specifically a gameplay thread.

So, it's like Armored Princess, but with orcs. On Debir I notice a few changes, such as the orc guy on the pier and the island with the mysterious lights. Haven't finished Debir yet but I'm very pleased with a couple of the new units.

Blood Shaman - probably prefer the old Shaman, but I haven't got my adrenaline high enough yet.
Orc Tracker - pretty nice, can spawn units
Engineer- my favourite new unit so far. Very useful. Shock Grenade can potentially blind most of the enemy, and spawning droids is fantastic. Great.

Not having a problem with no-losses so far (level 3 Paladin) but I'll need some Paladin units soon. I think I can turn Guardsmen into Paladins or something, using the new scroll thingy?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

i started to play it too. i'm playing impossible warrior and i've just defeated "monster from abyss"

i'm using engineers/droids combo (i sneaked to Bolo to steal 'em ) and they are really powerful together, have no losses so far. i tried rune mage too, but since i can have right now only one, it isn't very impressive, but in greater numbers and more unspent runes, they could be powerful as well.

i'm planning switch to orcs later when they become available in greater numbers. they seem very interesting with their new adrenalin related abilities.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Been a long time since I played Armored Princess, so I started again at Normal difficulty. No complaints though. The game never gets boring.

I'm playing as a Mage as it has been my most favorite class since KB:TL.

I like the changes in some units. Orc Trackers are nice. Specially at low levels since they have nice health and can spawn units, as Zhuangzi said. Blood Shaman would be nice in an all-orc army. Have to try it sometime at higher levels. Engineer would be very nice for anyone who likes droids. Rune Mages make up their lack of damage with summon and healing / revive.

I'll post more when I get to higher levels.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuangzi View Post
Not having a problem with no-losses so far (level 3 Paladin) but I'll need some Paladin units soon. I think I can turn Guardsmen into Paladins or something, using the new scroll thingy?
I'm level 7 Paladin, but no-loss is getting problematic now, due to all those darn stacks with bears in them. My line-up is: Rune Mage (1), Sea Dogs (61), Guardsmen (51), Inquisitors (27), Witch Hunters (21). And yeah, you could upgrade Guardsman to Paladins, but that'd cost 2000 trophies at the training center - I only have 1200 or so, considering I used up a lot to get Guardsmen from peasants (Debir soon ran out of Swordsmen).
Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Shockwave View Post
I'm level 7 Paladin, but no-loss is getting problematic now, due to all those darn stacks with bears in them. My line-up is: Rune Mage (1), Sea Dogs (61), Guardsmen (51), Inquisitors (27), Witch Hunters (21). And yeah, you could upgrade Guardsman to Paladins, but that'd cost 2000 trophies at the training center - I only have 1200 or so, considering I used up a lot to get Guardsmen from peasants (Debir soon ran out of Swordsmen).
Okay, you definitely need Paladins (the unit). There's a cool trick that you might not be aware of; you can get the first stone on Bolo without having to fight at all. You will need to get into the underground cavern with the droids, click on the head droid that you are supposed to defeat for the stone. He'll attack - you run away. Kite around him and get the item which you return to the place on Debir for the stone. It's an amulet and you can use it for +50 leadership as well. Once you've done that, you should be able to buy Paladins at the Mage tower on Debir. Normally there's only 11 or so, which should be fine for your current leadership.

With Paladins, your job of clearing Bolo without losses should be much easier. You need spawned units (I can highly recommend the Engineer for this) and maybe Slow spells on the strongest bear stack. The Engineer kicks ass in that he has a shock grenade which blinds troops too.

EDIT: just in general, you don't need to grind your way through Bolo at this stage. What you need is the map to Rusty Anchor or better yet Verona. This may involve a difficult fight but with the Paladins you should be able to manage. Once you've got the Verona map you're golden. There's a ton of loot there that you can kite and normally access to Paladins and Royal Griffins, which were my two staple units for Armored Princess campaigns. It's a bit boring and I'm sure that there are different ways to ensure no-losses, but Paladins are pretty much essential I believe, unless you're going for a single unit attempt, and you would do that as a Mage, not a Paladin.

Last edited by Zhuangzi; 09-26-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Approved Member

I spent a couple of hours on my Paladin game this morning, and managed to get up to level 7 very easily by clearing out most of Scarlet Wind. A lot of people don't like Glory but as a Paladin you have a lot of green runes to spend, so I've maxed that out already, and with the second level of Grand Strategy, I'm up to 2700 leadership already. Consequently I'm ahead of what I think of as the 'difficulty curve' in that the enemies on this island are mainly listed as Weak or Slightly Weaker, which is not something you'd normally see on Impossible.

I've had in with the Blood Shaman so I've switched them out for good old Inquisitors. The Engineer on the other hand is a very useful unit for strategic play. Coupled with Paladin's Second Wind ability, you can get two stacks of droids out on turn 1, and then Shock Grenade on turn 2. Orc Trackers are my only orc unit now due to their toughness and ability to summon. Royal Thorns are always useful and you can turn 50 of the green thorns into 1 on Debir. This is a kickass team for the early game and there's little or not chance of ending up with losses. I've discussed how to play this style before so I won't go through it all again, but suffice to say that Engineers are a very welcome addition to the mix.

Scarlet Wind has about 4-5 of the harder fights left on it, and I'm nearly at level 8. I'll mop up all but 2 of those fights easily (the map fights will be left) and then it's on to Bolo for the easier fights there. Then it will be necessary to take on the map guardians for access to Rusty Anchor/Verona.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Approved Member

A couple more things I should mention for those of you who are newer to the game.

- You should always be using the baby dragon's Treasure Searcher ability twice per turn. You'll need the gold on Impossible and you might dig up an Ancient Scroll or two. You also get the Treasure Hunter medal for this over time, which is nice.

- As soon as you get the Trap spell (not until level 6 for me) you should start trying to work toward the Trapper medal. This is harder for the Paladin than it is for a Mage, and it can be frustrating too, but it's useful once completed. Again, this is better for a Mage because of more mana and higher Intellect.

- You can manipulate rage and mana using a number of easily accessible spells and abilities. Inquisitors are great for creating rage, Mana Spring is a godsend for increasing mana, and Mana Accelerator turns rage into mana. I use all of these all of the time. In my current game I've got Distortion 2 and it could even have been Distortion 3 had I wanted (in hindsight maybe I should have gone for it - I picked up the trap spell shortly after).
Old 10-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Approved Member

Just starting our with Paladin on hard, hope to find some lvl 5 units as soon as poss
Old 10-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

I just finished warrior on impossible but only did 92 quests; does anyone know total number of quests ('m pretty sure I missed at least one contract by killing first and asking questions later). I did not notice so many new quests (just 4 - guy in scarlet; orc sequence (probably counts more as 4) mage tower and trainer training after first stone.
-
I never kite but I might try it in bolo with my mage on impossible. I think long ago I tried once to get the stone without a fight but couldn't get the fellow to chase without fighting.
--
With warrior I played rune mage until the end (when i get the stone in Rhea). Not so sure I like rune mages that much. They had two nice attributes I guess (lots of hp and if you have enough mage runes they can turn victims into sheep). But to be honest they did not pack much of a punch. Even with 200 unused warrior runes I found them a bit lacking.
-
Bit unhappy with how the orc campaign progressed. It was very anti-climatic and I kept looking for a diplomatic solution.
-
Major thing I noticed is that Baal was nerfed in a *big* way and Ulsua was a lot harder.
--
I did not use any of the new troupes other than run mages - just didn't find a use. Went the old route of a stack of summoners (thorns and d's) and by end game I was piling on the thorns. Hum. I guess only other disappointment was lack of being able to complete a set (sort of wish the randommizer would pick a set than guarantee that all the pieces load) and the item from the mage tower didn't do much for me.
--
Hum two things I did a bit different - never used blacknights this game and at the very end picked up the paladin for the fight against Baal.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

I also finished the Orc campaign. It was a tough run. Used alot the new Rune mage but only when I had 16 of them they really started getting useful.

I found Baal stronger than in AP though.

I managed to have 2 sets of items for my mage. The lucky set, with 20% critical. and the 20% physical resistance.

The new shamans are freaks, 3 astral attacks in a row than a ranged one targeting my stack of archemages killing all of them.