Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_medina View Post
To Anton:
Could these features be possible to implement in game?.

Thank you in advance,
No chance - at least in first version of the game.
Hope it's not too disappointing.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Yudintsev View Post
No chance - at least in first version of the game.
Hope it's not too disappointing.
Disappointing of course not. But this feature is almost a must in a simulator, when you see web sites about simulation you can see some content made by users, these are among others custom skins and missions.
Even the simplest sim has its own mission builder. Check out titles as lockon, IL2, Falcon, Silent Hunter III, Armed Assault.
I think that it is an important feature to have in a sim.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_medina View Post
But this feature is almost a must in a simulator, when you see web sites about simulation you can see some content made by users, these are among others custom skins and missions.
This is not true for console players. The game is console game, and is played on console. And it is hard to make user friendly mission designer on console.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
This is not true for console players. The game is console game, and is played on console. And it is hard to make user friendly mission designer on console.
Its hard but not impossible. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried either.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo View Post
Its hard but not impossible. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried either.
There are options.
Try to make excellent game and if it would be successful, than make a sequel with additional important features, but needed for 0.001% of core gamers. Or try to focus on these features, and if the game fails because lack of quality - who cares, we were making really important features. Or make both, and if the game will never be released that would be... predictable.

The game is already very risky - true sim on consoles - adding mission designer would not make our life anyhow easier, and doesn't bring additional revenues as well. Mission Designer on consoles means a lot of additional work to make it user friendly, to pass additional manufacturer (MS/Sony) requirements, etc, etc. It is _much_ harder than providing Editor for PC players (developer already have one Designer for themselves on PC, of course). It is almost as hard as doing the game itself.
I doubt it's worth that - especially on such a risky project as first sim on console.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Anton, I understand your point of view. Anyway your team can get a balance between a "hardcore" mission builder and something that could let players to customize quick multiplayer missions, like for example some kind of quickflying with general options.
Something like this or more simplified.

http://mission4today.com/index.php?n...ds&screen=3370 (click on picture 3)

About development time, I prefer six month delay if I can play a more complete product.
Also, I know that console market is a little different, but making a WWII simulation without any mission editor...I insist that it is a weakness even on consoles.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Approved Member

"Originally Posted by Anton Yudintsev View Post
This is not true for console players. The game is console game, and is played on console. And it is hard to make user friendly mission designer on console."

+1

The whole nature of console is to pick it up play it and leave it, theres no need for mission building with consoles, once some ones done blasting planes out the sky they will switch to driving a car at 300mph into brick walls blasting aliens with phazer guns, flying round the universe at 3 gazillion light years an hour in full galactic combat with nukes and Ion cannons going off in all directions, these players dont want in game immersion they want gratification immersion, you wont change them, and you dont need to, they will progress to pc simming, the console is a vessel to progress that way if they feel the need to.

IMHO of course

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 07-09-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
The whole nature of console is to pick it up play it and leave it, theres no need for mission building with consoles, once some ones done blasting planes out the sky they will switch to driving a car at 300mph into brick walls blasting aliens with phazer guns, flying round the universe at 3 gazillion light years an hour in full galactic combat with nukes and Ion cannons going off in all directions, these players dont want in game immersion they want gratification immersion, you wont change them, and you dont need to, they will progress to pc simming, the console is a vessel to progress that way if they feel the need to.
I'm a console player. I'm a PC player at heart but own several consoles and play on them just as much. I'd prefer to buy a console game that I can have custom levels in.

Other console games are going this way, either mission, map or paint editors. Halo3 even had some kind of basic mission editor in there. Crackdown had the starting of an editor too. Granted these were AAA titles but its the start of something. If you really want to see a complex editor, check out the in game Forza 2 livery editor. Thats extremely complex with 4000 layers per car part. Some of the art produced in an in game editor with just a joypad is fantastic and its all made from primatives and shading.

Some of you guys are so out of touch with what the console market is now. I don't mean that as an insult but the guys who were playing NES/master system in the 80's and PS1 in the 90's are all 30+ years old now and playing on 360 and PS3. Its not just the kids who own them these days but adults. I've read stats that state the average console owner is around 29/30 years old.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Approved Member

if it's too much trouble to build into the game, how about a separate mission builder or editor you could use on your PC to create the content, then download on the Xbox and use it in game?

That way you could even take more time to do that and release the mission builder/editor as a post-release download. Even people who don't have the game could create content. Just thinking out loud...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJ_rsm View Post
if it's too much trouble to build into the game, how about a separate mission builder or editor you could use on your PC to create the content, then download on the Xbox and use it in game?
Now that would be a first outside of a bespoke development kit.