Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Approved Member

Default Daidalos Team's Room -QUESTIONS AND REQUESTS ONLY on IL2 Authorized Addons

First of all, I want to say a huge thank you to Daidalus team for their work and for having brought a new lease of life for our beloved game.
As I understood, from now on all Il2 development is entrusted to them, the Daidalus team people, with supervision only by 1C. So, I think it’s appropriate to open a dedicated thread for questions and requests, much like Oleg’s Room. The difference is obvious: with Oleg we talk about SOW, while here the focus should be on Il2.

Last edited by nearmiss; 09-28-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Approved Member

I have already posted some proposals in another thread, and one of these seems to me good enough to be “reprinted” here. I was simply asking to concentrate more on AI only planes.

To explain better: with the latest additions, we now have a HUGE amount of flyable planes, with a vast choices for almost any conceivable pilot’s career, with almost any of the combatants. All major types are there, with some minor and exotic ones for good measure, and even a quote of “what ifs”. What is still lacking, in my opinion, is some variety in targets, mainly in bombers. To begin with, we have no British night bombers, and they will be sorely needed to complement the new radar equipped Bf110. If radar could be adapted for the Mosquito night fighter, there’ll be a similar need for German night bomber of the “Steinbock” period, like the Do217 or He177.

As I understand it, AI bombers should be the easiest planes to be implemented. After all, they need limited flying maneuvers, and gun turrets works all the same. Even their performances are relatively unimportant. They all are slower than fighters, and minor differences should go unnoticed.
Conclusion. While having some more flyable fighter would not offer that much to the game, having some new bombers would add whole new campaigns.
Wellingtons and Lancasters would allow RAF’s night bomber offensive. Dornier and Grief – along with some late model He111 – would allow the last German bomber offensive against British Isles.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Approved Member

I would request MOSTLY French fighters !!!

France was one of the major countries fighting against Germany from 1939 to 1940. Even if the country lost the battle of France, French pilots (and fighters) had a role in the war from 1939 to 1943 in Europe, North Africa, Middle east and Indochina fighting against the germans, the brits, the italians, the americans, the thais and even the japanese.

Could we have at least :

- a real FM for the MS 406 and Hawk 75 ?
- cockpit for those 2 birds?
- A development of the D520 which was an aircraft equivalent to the Bf109E ?

I know for that last that one modder is working on it and finished the modelisation of the aircraft and is now working on the cockpit before doing its FM. Maybe team D could contact him and they could work together ?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Approved Member

Well, what I would like to request first of all would be cockpit reworks on some planes.

The Bf-109s (specially the early series) cockpits are poor. Also, the P-47 cockpit need a good rework too.

Honestly, I don't see a need for early war French and British aircraft. These should be left to Storm of War - they'll already have an accurate map of France and Britain.

I would prefer that Daidalus boosted the original IL-2 planes instead of adding more.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Approved Member

Hmm.

I don't think we can expect more than bug fixes.

IL*2 is potentially a strong competitor to SoW, and we really can't expect IL*2's competitiveness to be increased when SoW is in development.

That it is being allowed at all implies I suppose two things, that SoW will have all the features that are being allowed in the new patch, and that SoW is not likely to be completed soon after the patch is released. That includes the possibility that SoW will be released before the patch, which I hope is true, but we will have to wait and see about that.

I think bomber rear gunners in IL*2 are very much over accurate, and that smaller (< 8mm calibre) machine guns are over modelled. The Lancaster, with a rear turret of four < 8mm machine guns, and (in standard configuration) eight < 8mm machine guns in total, would be a complete nightmare for fighters, imagine the FW189 with two extra rear facing guns.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

As far as adding new planes go, i would echo the sentiment about the night bombing campaigns, both the British strategic one and the German night raids. If we do get radar sets in the end, it would be a pity not to have some night flying Mosquitos, Ju88s and a few heavies to round it up.

There's also somewhat of a gap when looking at the truly multi-role aircraft of the war, plus a gap for German bombers that can actually make an impact in a late war scenario. He111s and Ju88As are fine up to 41-42, but it's a suicide after that.

My personal wishlist would be the following:

1) Some Ju88 variants, both day and night operations. These could be Ju88C models and the Ju88G night-fighter.

2) Mosquitos, similar to the 88s.

3) Suitable German bombers for late war scenarios, like the Ju188 and derivatives of the Do17. A He177 would be very cool as well.

4) Some British heavies, like Lancaster, Halifax, etc.

The youtube video about the upcoming radar modelling states that there's accurate ground clutter depending on the kind of terrain that you fly over, so i guess there is some sort of interfacing between radars and the ground below. That could probably mean that it would be possible to have not only intercept radars, but bombing radars too like H2S.

Of course, all this takes time and since it's free we can't really complain. It would be nice to have some of that as AI initially, maybe becoming flyables down the line. Imagine flying a night-time scenario on one of the mission-based DF servers, it would be a blast. Some would find it boring, but i always thought the early era of avionics has a certain appeal. It's not modern-jet-fighter-complicated, it's just a new set of tools to work with and the reason i like it is that it combines the flying and combat element from a flight sim, with the sensors cat-and-mouse game from a submarine sim
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Approved Member

Igo Kyu, I think these are completely different things.

I think with Daidalus taking over, means that there's nothing holding 4.09m or SoW, as there are two independant teams for each.

And 4.09m is about to be released; Storm of War is predicted to 2010.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
Igo Kyu, I think these are completely different things.

I think with Daidalus taking over, means that there's nothing holding 4.09m or SoW, as there are two independant teams for each.
There are two independent teams, but one must respect the wishes of the other. SoW will be a commercial product, patch 4.09 isn't.

Quote:
And 4.09m is about to be released; Storm of War is predicted to 2010.
Predicted by some users of this forum, when they're not predicting 2013 or 2014. As I understand it, Oleg has said nothing of the sort. It could be that SoW is years off, but I don't think it's been said definitively by 1C company that it is.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Approved Member

Extracted from SimHQ interview with Oleg:

"Doug: A few more questions (for now) on Storm of War: Battle of Britain before we move to the next topic area.

You said recently you want it released for the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. That would be in September 2010. Are you confident flight simmers around the world will be flying Storm of War: Battle of Britain in October 2010?"

"Oleg: Yes, it is our general plan. Maybe it will arrive earlier. I can't say right now the exact date. But by October 2010 (if not before) Storm of War: Battle of Britain should have many thousands of users."

So, October 2010, IF NOT BEFORE.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
Extracted from SimHQ interview with Oleg:

"Doug: A few more questions (for now) on Storm of War: Battle of Britain before we move to the next topic area.

You said recently you want it released for the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. That would be in September 2010. Are you confident flight simmers around the world will be flying Storm of War: Battle of Britain in October 2010?"

"Oleg: Yes, it is our general plan. Maybe it will arrive earlier. I can't say right now the exact date. But by October 2010 (if not before) Storm of War: Battle of Britain should have many thousands of users."

So, October 2010, IF NOT BEFORE.
At no point in there does Oleg say it won't be out long before October 2010. Tomorrow for example would be long before October 2010.

Software is strange stuff, sometimes you think it will take a long time, then you find a nice shortcut and it doesn't, though that situation is very rare, other times you think you are finished, then a bug shows up, and fixing it breaks something else, so it takes a very long time to sort out. I think Oleg is wise not to give any hostages to fortune in terms of release dates.
Closed Thread