Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:04 AM
Approved Member

Default The new bomb fuzing needs to be an option.

Sorry, but it does.

I've been trying for some time to come up with a speed/altitude/distance/aircraft combination that works for skip bombing ships and for me it's a bust. this was a tactic that was used and worked, but now you are sentencing those that say they can do it to certain death.

If the stated reason for doing it is true, to stop folks from dropping bombs from parked aircraft, then code the bomb releases not to drop at all with aircraft that are on the ground. End of problem.

Right now I just am getting the feeling that someone else is trying to force their style of game play on me.

It's not making me happy.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 12-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Approved Member

My personal guess is that it is relatively inappropriate for some weapons. In particular, some of the small bombs (2kg-20kg) should probably have simpler fuses and be able to detonate with low altitude release.

IMHO, it would be great to have fuses which malfunction (eg. a certain percentage of time-fused bombs detonate prematurely, or a certain percentage of bombs fail to detonate at all). Against ground targets the British RP-3 / 60lb rocket had a 25% failure to detonate rate. This would add a lot to gameplay.

So, basically I agree that it is forcing a certain style of play and also may be too simplified and inappropriate in some cases (even if I personally don't mind people being prevented from planting time-fused bombs at 5 meters altitude, having to use PTAB from height is rather cool). These things should be choices though - and more historically accurate.

I'd be very interested to find out more about fuses (eg. how safer were those converted artillery rounds dropped from U-2/Po-2?)
Old 12-26-2010, 05:04 AM
Approved Member

Btw. Adding correct probabilities for gun jams would also be great. It would give a different perspective on which guns are the best ones, balancing out guns like the Mk-108.

It would also create more "chance" in a fight - with gun jams potentially turning the tables or forcing an abort.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Approved Member

I think making a problem switchable isn't a working solution.
The 2 sec. arming delay is a step from game towards simulation.
This option switchable in the online world would only lead to "always set to off" because the servers try to attract ALL players.
As 25 m altitude in horizontal flight are enough to allow arming of the bomb i believe that skip-bombing is still quite feasible.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
This option switchable in the online world would only lead to "always set to off" because the servers try to attract ALL players.
Funny, last time I checked, we arcade as well as f-r servers.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

Your picture shows a torpedo attack, and the two planes flying low are not up to release altitude yet.

The bombs have a two seconds arming time, if you dive bomb vertically with Mach1, then yes, you're going to need considerably more than 25m of altitude.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Well 4.10 certainly is going to encourage people to use bombers......
Yep, honestly I think they raised the the bar too much.
Just think of newbies, I takes them forever for the least bit of success.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

For the US bombs, the arming spinner required a set number of revolutions, not a set rpm.

That means the arming is about the distance the bomb has traveled, not the time it has traveled.

TD have been generous with their bomb timing of two seconds. Three to four seconds may have been closer to a historical figure. It was an essential precaution to prevent bumps in flight or bombs hitting each other just after they have dropped causing an explosion.

The idea is that the bomb will never explode when it is close enough to the plane to do damage (i.e. 25m away!)
Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post

The idea is that the bomb will never explode when it is close enough to the plane to do damage (i.e. 25m away!)
Isn't this why we have bomb delay?
Anyway,if its correct,I am happy to have it,as skip bombing always seemed too easy in il2.If however it is not correct,then it should be looked at again.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
Isn't this why we have bomb delay?
Anyway,if its correct,I am happy to have it,as skip bombing always seemed too easy in il2.If however it is not correct,then it should be looked at again.
Nope, a bomb delay is a delay on the impact detonation fuse. The spinner delays
the arming of the bomb. Until that spinner spins it's 'x' number of revolutions, the
bomb is safe and can not be detonated at all.
Some spinners work by gearing down and rotating part of the arming mechanism
to line up, ready for detonation, other spinners work by screwing in a screw that
completes the arming mechanism once it is screwed in all the way.