Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Old_Canuck

Agree that most accounts I've read also mention intercepting at night by spotting blue flames.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Approved Member

Looks like my thread did the trick

Thanks Oleg
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Approved Member

S!

Thank you for the update Nice to see things shaping up. In that DB605 video you can see the root of the flame has reddish/yellow but the tip of it is blueish. Could the British and German difference be that Brits and other allies had carburettors and Germans had direct fuel injection in their DB/Jumo/BMW engines. The mixture in a fuel injected engine, like DB-series, is better than in a carburettor engine and high pressure spray of fuel gives more even fill of the cylinder at the right time compared to the suction in a carburettor system.

Also many nightfighter books I have read state blueish flames on British bombers. And there was a talk witha guy who tuned/maintained DB engines and he said the engine tunes were done in a dark room to see the exhaust flame color to adjust the injection etc. correctly.

Ok, have a good weekend all!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

Merlin V12 Startup, I see a lot of blue

Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

GREAT , GREAT , Pictures and this in motion.

Thank you so much for this great Friday update. With every Friday evenning beats our hearts a little bit more for this great Game

I think we all wish you, your famaly and your team too.. a nice peacefull christmastime and a happy new year 2011.

Thank you Mr. Oleg

with regards from Old Germany
Old 12-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

Here is a Merlin engine being started, but one see no flames at all, maybe only visable during night time?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
No, this doesn't give me idea... Load the sound file from this video in a professional sound edit program and look for the spectrum... You will see there soo poor range and will be very impressed if you will load the same from a track above (our), even it is a place holder yet...

However I see the color of exhaust here in DB. Interesting with which gazoline and settings for start Becasue exaust color depending of many-many "settings".

Oleg.....Spitfire flames in the dark and they are blue!!

Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Approved Member

Do these help

7 mins in

3 mins in for night time CREDIT TO THE AUTHORS OF THE VIDEOS
Old 12-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker35M View Post
S!

Thank you for the update Nice to see things shaping up. In that DB605 video you can see the root of the flame has reddish/yellow but the tip of it is blueish. Could the British and German difference be that Brits and other allies had carburettors and Germans had direct fuel injection in their DB/Jumo/BMW engines. The mixture in a fuel injected engine, like DB-series, is better than in a carburettor engine and high pressure spray of fuel gives more even fill of the cylinder at the right time compared to the suction in a carburettor system.

Also many nightfighter books I have read state blueish flames on British bombers. And there was a talk witha guy who tuned/maintained DB engines and he said the engine tunes were done in a dark room to see the exhaust flame color to adjust the injection etc. correctly.

Ok, have a good weekend all!
Don't forget that in the Daimler video, (as far as it seems to me) they were starting the engine for the first time, so they went straight into a "break in run" at a much higher than Idle RPM. (it's been a long time since I've built an engine, but I think I'd typically "run in" a chevy big block at about 2000 RPM for about 15 minutes) That kind of RPM will of course produce a hotter flame than a typical start to idle of an already broken in engine. This will also (as Oleg pointed out ) explain the difference between the flame seen at start up and in flight.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Approved Member

Big LOLs. Oleg sure has his work cut out for him. I'd not be surprised if this thread doesn't cure him from appeals to us for help!
Closed Thread