Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solnyshko View Post
I think Oleg's on the ball when it comes to aviation art. He aproached Glen Angus a while back to work on the GUI for SoW. Sadly Angus passed away before this came to be
Yes it was....
Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

I'm a fan of James' work too and contributed to his retirement fund by hanging one of his prints amongst my Trudgian, Taylor and Troy White stuff in my office. It's just a bonus to have him here amongst us.

S! James!

If I had more than a crappy cell phone camera here at work, I'd show them off.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Approved Member

Unhappy

Angus was a talented artist and his work was really great. Very sad what happened to him......

Wonderfull....

Last edited by 150GCT_Veltro; 11-19-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

FYiI- These are a couple of the versions I've used for splash screens:

Several years ago when SoW was first announced ( remember?)I exchanged several friendly emails with the great man himself.Basically he liked the work but decisions on packaging were shared with Ubisoft designers & they had their own preferences.I can understand this & am a great fan of computer driven art myself.It makes sense to have computer driven images on computer games.If I have any gripe at all it is the quality of the images chosen for use in previous versions of IL-2...I find them rather forgetable,but maybe thats just me.I almost always liked or appreciated the art on model boxtops as much as what was inside.With Il-2 ( or Rise of Flight for that matter) the box is almost always put away never to be seen again after the sim is up & running.Of course one does have to see the designers choices for menu screens over & over ( until someone breaks the code as modders have done in Il-2...)

Last edited by jamesdietz; 11-19-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdietz View Post

Several years ago when SoW was first announced ( remember?)I exchanged several friendly emails with the great man himself.Basically he liked the work but decisions on packaging were shared with Ubisoft designers & they had their own preferences.I can understand this & am a great fan of computer driven art myself.It makes sense to have computer driven images on computer games.If I have any gripe at all it is the quality of the images chosen for use in previous versions of IL-2...I find them rather forgetable,but maybe thats just me.I almost always liked or appreciatedthe art on model boxtops as much as what was inside.With Il-2 ( or Rise of flight for that matter) the box is almost always put away never to be seen again after the sim is up & running.Of course one does have to see the designers choices for menu screens over 7 over ( until someone breaks the code as modders have done in Il-2...)
Thanks for sharing the splash screens and story.

Flying online as Setback.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

Night shot:

Sorry for nitpicking, but it is impossible to see so many stars with full moon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shot_20101112_153308.jpg (136.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAF51/155_TonyR View Post
Night shot:

Sorry for nitpicking, but it is impossible to see so many stars with full moon.
You must live in a city, or a town at least.
I see countless more stars than that next to a full moon.

Back in the 90's I remember a British TV program that asked viewers to go out on a full moon with a toilet paper cardboard roll and point it at the moon to count the stars. It was part of a study into light pollution in urban areas.

IIRC, you should see about 8 stars next to the full moon with the naked eye in ideal conditions.

If there is some thing to nit pick about the stars, it's their uniform brightness, but not that they are there at all.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdietz View Post

Several years ago when SoW was first announced ( remember?)I exchanged several friendly emails with the great man himself.Basically he liked the work but decisions on packaging were shared with Ubisoft designers & they had their own preferences.I can understand this & am a great fan of computer driven art myself.It makes sense to have computer driven images on computer games.If I have any gripe at all it is the quality of the images chosen for use in previous versions of IL-2...I find them rather forgetable,but maybe thats just me.I almost always liked or appreciated the art on model boxtops as much as what was inside.With Il-2 ( or Rise of Flight for that matter) the box is almost always put away never to be seen again after the sim is up & running.Of course one does have to see the designers choices for menu screens over & over ( until someone breaks the code as modders have done in Il-2...)
I LOVE the ambiance of those pictures!
As the Brits would say..."Well Done!"