Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
What kind of computer do you run the game with, and what are the minimum specs for a smooth gameplay?
I'll answer for Oleg. He was horribly late for an appointment as he was posting the update, so he ran off as soon as he hit Submit.

The screenshots were taken on several computers, mostly on an Intel Core 2 2.66GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM and an NVidia 8800 GTX and a Athlon 64 3800+ 2.0 GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM and an NVidia 260.

We can't tell you yet about minimum specs for release, it's too early for that. Those are usually determined towards the end of a beta test.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

Looks like Oblivion a bit. Always wanted to strafe those blighters in Cyrodiil...

Edit: Thanks Luthier. Good to know
Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer us, luthier!

Considering it's still alpha, it looks extremely promising. And that's just scratching the surface. I'm looking forward to some more details on what's under the hood.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Approved Member

It seems No AA was used and probably no (or too little) AF. It is likely that with higher AF, landscape textures will look way sharper. Now they are too blurry.

Question to Oleg:
Currently market of LCDs is getting flooded with wide gamut displays and they show too saturated colors in non color managed environment. If I recall correctly, OpenGL has extension which lets to use color management on textures. Maybe it is possible to make this extension available as optional, so that owners of wide gamut LCDs could play with exact colors this game was intended to be played?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
I'll answer for Oleg. He was horribly late for an appointment as he was posting the update, so he ran off as soon as he hit Submit.

The screenshots were taken on several computers, mostly on an Intel Core 2 2.66GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM and an NVidia 8800 GTX and a Athlon 64 3800+ 2.0 GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM and an NVidia 260.

We can't tell you yet about minimum specs for release, it's too early for that. Those are usually determined towards the end of a beta test.
And you can get a steady framerate with those graphics settings on a mid range gaming PC like one of the ones you mentioned?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Approved Member

Hello Oleg,

Given the increased quality of terrain: have you considered consulting ecologists?

It could be relatively easy to develop rules for vegetation at different altitudes. Using data from SoW's weather engine it might even be possible to take into account rainfall.

At smaller levels of spatial ecology could be shown in textures (although this is probably doable simply by having references and an artist with a good eye).

Glad to hear your feeling better.

-Avimimus

P.S. It would be good to leave some engine support for being able to look away from the gunsight while in a gunner position. The decision not to fully model gunner positions makes sense in most cases. However, for modelling the night war it could become important.
P.S.S. Does the SoW flight model still function at atmospheric pressures greater than 1 atmosphere?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Approved Member

Wonderful!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

*shrug* Looks like the IL-2 engine with grass, some self-shading and bit more bump-mapping, to be honest. Doesn't look like there's anything different about the particle system, for example. It'll be more interesting when we get some more information about the inner workings of the sim, certainly.

The aircraft, though! Beeaauuuuuuuutifully detailed Spitfire and 110!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Approved Member

I just have one question about the water. Can't find that video from 1946 feats CD that was showing waves hitting the beach and that video was stunning. From the pics, it seems that water is not what was shown back then. Please, don't get this wrong. I know it's still alpha and It is indeed very nice. Still, can we have some pics in the next update of the beaches? I'm very interested in that, what can I say. Planes, specially cockpit that is show are spectacular.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaltysZ View Post
It seems No AA was used and probably no (or too little) AF. It is likely that with higher AF, landscape textures will look way sharper. Now they are too blurry.
There's no AA on those shots because they use HDR, and right now you can't do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaltysZ View Post
Question to Oleg:
Currently market of LCDs is getting flooded with wide gamut displays and they show too saturated colors in non color managed environment. If I recall correctly, OpenGL has extension which lets to use color management on textures. Maybe it is possible to make this extension available as optional, so that owners of wide gamut LCDs could play with exact colors this game was intended to be played?
SoW no longer uses OpenGL