Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Global Moderator

Thumbs up

This video was originally leaked, so it was put it out there for everyone to see.

Doesn't do much good to change a lock when everyone has a key.

All releases are critiqued very close by this community. Why should Oleg release anything and get all the heat over something that isn't finished.

We are fortunate when Oleg makes a release. I'm sure he doesn't like to read all the negative jibe that accompanies every release.

Constructive criticism is valuable, but whines and complaints are just like sewage water.. who needs it?

Last edited by nearmiss; 02-02-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkOwl View Post
The nasty compression of the Youtube codec has a tendency to merge any details of low contrast together. This is absolutely part of the reason of why the clouds look like they do.
That may be true, but I was kind of making a joke about that real photo of the Spitfire, and not the SoW vid...

Think I got a little lost in translation there... ahem.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Approved Member

Ok guys,

I'm new to this forum, although I have played IL-2 quite a while now. And I just CAN'T WAIT until SOW:BOB is finished!! Keep up the good work, Oleg!!

Something that sprung in my Eye while reading this forum:
I would like to mention my opinion about the shaking of the head in the Video.
As I'm a real-life pilot (admitting I have never flown something similar to a spitfire ) I can understand the point, that the human brain is capable of "smoothening" the picture of the eyes, so that the pilot doesn't really "see" any shakings (except for the instruments, very well done!)

BUT: such vibrations are quite normal. You don't see them - But you definately feel them!! The air is in a permanent movement, and thermals, crosswinds, etc. always shakes your plane a bit. When not constructed carefully, the plane might also show some very unpleasant answers to high speeds or stalls.

Besides, I think a lot of people don't quite get what it feels like flying harsh manouvers with 1200 hp motorized machines in front of them, and having bullets swirring all around them. Imagine the terror of death grisping the pilot's mind, the shaking hands and hysterical movements while only trying to survive!

So, the question is: How can you simulate this?? Because, we still sit in a very comfortable chair in front of a 21' Screen, drinking our coffee.
If you don't visualize such feelings, then the Simulator gets dull and boring. Then it's something like Combat Flight Simulator, only with better graphics, for which we already have WoP.

My suggestion: Leave those shakings as they are, they bring the Sim to life!! In my opinion, they are very well done! And as for all such problems, I strongly suggest putting a slider somewhere under the Options-menu, where the strength of the shaking can be set to individual likes!

I must admit, I haven't read the whole thread, but I saw some contrary oppinions, and I just wanted to add my own oppinion to it... Maybe it all has been said already, then I apologize.

Greetz
Fliegenpilz
Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

IL2 has had longevity partly because of its excellent game play....I hope that SOW has the same...I'd honestly be quite happy if the game was exactly the same just with the new graphic engine....
Old 02-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

This gets a bit involved and is off the main topic, but I think this thread has just about ran its course, so I'll post anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by drafting;
Yeah, those clouds are too fuzzy and indistinct! ...and there's no light penetration around the edges! What have they been working on all this time??
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
This video was originally leaked, so it was put it out there for everyone to see.

Doesn't do much good to change a lock when everyone has a key.

All releases are critiqued very close by this community. Why should Oleg release anything and get all the heat over something that isn't finished.

We are fortunate when Oleg makes a release. I'm sure he doesn't like to read all the negative jibe that accompanies every release.

Constructive criticism is valuable, but whines and complaints are just like sewage water.. who needs it?
Drafting was actually responding to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanator21 View Post
OM posted some new screenshots today!

Just look at the detail!
and my response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65;
Looks a bit 'grainy', the aircraft is too shiny, and the clouds are rubbish. Sub-il2 quality really.
where I was trying to 'send up' (caricature) some of the (what I saw as) over the top, nit-picking unreasonableness of some of Oleg's SOW critics, by applying the same nit-picking, unreasonableness to a photo of a REAL Spitfire and real clouds.

The comments were directed at this Spitfire photo and not at Oleg's video.

So, nearmiss, we're both on your side.

I haven't been posting that long on these forums, but I've found it's almost comical at times how a quickly 'fired off' post that is meant in a very innocent way is misinterpreted by someone somewhere into something you never actually intended to say (by the way, that's not a dig at those involved in this, more a comment on the general perils of posting)

Guess its because we're such a diverse bunch from different countries, etc. Misunderstandings are bound to happen.

Still, planning to have my next few posts checked out first by a team of international lawyers to ensure no inadvertent offense is caused.

Last edited by kendo65; 02-06-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post

3. Lorenz approach aid with fancy hut (fully operational)

Luthier do you mean :

Quote:
An aircraft approaching the runway would tune his radio to the broadcast frequency and listen for the signal. If the crew heard a series of dots, they knew they were off the runway centerline to the left (the dot-sector) and had to turn to the right to line up with the runway. If they were off to the right, they would hear a series of dashes instead (the dash-sector), and turned left. Key to the easy operation of the system was an area in the middle where the two signals overlapped, where the dots of the one signal "filled in" the dashes of the other, resulting in a steady tone known as the equi-signal. By adjusting their path until they heard the equi-signal, the pilot could align their aircraft with the runway for landing.

Two small radio beacons were also used with Lorenz, one 300 m off the end of runway, the HEZ, and another 3 km away, the VEZ, also broadcast on 38 MHz and modulated at 1700 and 700 Hz, respectively. These signals were broadcast directly upward, and would be heard briefly as the aircraft flew over them. To approach the runway, the aircraft would fly to a published altitude and then use the main directional signals to line up with the runway and started flying toward it. When they flew over the VEZ they would start descending on a standard glide slope, continuing to land or abort at the HEZ depending on whether or not they could see the runway.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

Edit: my bad. wrong button!

Last edited by Matze81; 02-20-2010 at 07:55 PM.