Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

Default 30mm Mine-Geschoss HE/T round Mk108

Can we have this in IL2 1946 please

Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Approved Member

Hi Alpha, there's a guy asking for more of these; have you got some links to some footage like this?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Approved Member

Keep in mind that because it's a controlled test, the hit is pretty much perfect and the shell detonated optimally.

Online in IL-2 world it's possible that the hit didn't register, or it did and it wasn't a solid hit (like the one above). Since pretty early on when they made some changes to the MK108 I haven't had any issues. It's utterly devastating.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Approved Member

Last I recall every other Mk108 shell is incendiary that is only supposed to explode if the fuse is immersed in liquid. But those explode as regular fuse in game with nice big fire bloom but not structural damage.

Record Mk 108 hits and playback the track with arcade=1. If you don't see fragment arrows, it's not an MG shell.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGunz View Post
Last I recall every other Mk108 shell is incendiary that is only supposed to explode if the fuse is immersed in liquid. But those explode as regular fuse in game with nice big fire bloom but not structural damage.
Aaaaah, thanks, that explains a lot. I was wondering why sometimes my targets escape unscathed after clearly taking a hit from a 108.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Approved Member

I think a safe technique is to aim for a one-two punch. Rapidly firing at close range (which isn't hard given the fire rate) with a brief burst is usually enough. One hit kill is unlikely but... hardly anything honestly survives more than three hits.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:06 AM
Approved Member

Those 3 could be 2 I and 1 MG. It depends on where you hit.

The DM does not let a shot go through a part until the part is destroyed which makes for some odd results, but pretty much the same kind of odd for everyone... call it fair odd?
What that does is reward deflection shot hits just a bit more, especially for small caliber bullets.

Make tracks and watch them using slow-mo, pause and POV control, what works can become apparent.

Last edited by MaxGunz; 05-30-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Keep in mind that because it's a controlled test, the hit is pretty much perfect and the shell detonated optimally.

Online in IL-2 world it's possible that the hit didn't register, or it did and it wasn't a solid hit (like the one above). Since pretty early on when they made some changes to the MK108 I haven't had any issues. It's utterly devastating.
They register as hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGunz View Post

Record Mk 108 hits and playback the track with arcade=1. If you don't see fragment arrows, it's not an MG shell.
Frag arrows everywhere here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Up Dead View Post
Aaaaah, thanks, that explains a lot. I was wondering why sometimes my targets escape unscathed after clearly taking a hit from a 108.
Me too............

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 05-31-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:04 PM
Approved Member

Alpha: Was that online or offline?

Offline I did a test in the QMB. I setup two flights of friendly Spitfire Mark IX and replicated the test. They ranged 100 yards directly astern which is less than 0.10 which is damned close but I tried my best anyways. Single tap of the trigger for one shell (as best as possible).

Shot down all 8 Spitfires. One shot kill.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Approved Member

I shell should make a big orange fireball.

I don't know how they coded the HE explosion but maybe closer to reality than any hit will do. For the massive damage in reality the explosion has to be far enough from an inside surface for shock waves and reflected shock waves to reinforce themselves. I'm trying to remember the term, it is like mach spike or something that was used to explain the huge damage in the Lockerbie plane bombing. Too close to the skin and there's a hole that lets the force right out but just right and pow, enormous damage. Since each DM part is 3D modeled and Oleg is detail oriented it may have such a basis. He did mention that blasts -on- the surface won't make big damage but did have both language and time barriers to full explanations.

I remember when 20mm exploding a hand width next to pilot's head had no effect in one release. I sent a track in and maybe others did too. There was a change but that was 9 or 10 years ago and all I remember was being happier for the change.