Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Approved Member

Default FPS on the ground-Noticed something

Not sure if someone has brought this up before, but it's worth mentioning.

Once in a while, I turn on a G.50 and go have a smoke while it warms up. When i was walking back to my PC, i noticed, from a sharp angle, that NEARLY invisible exhaust smoke is expelled from both sides of the engine. I can only see it if I look at my monitor from a very sharp angle. So, I turned my effects quality from high to low and my ground FPS improved and reduced that strange choppiness (when your FPS is 40, but it feels like its like 25 or something). Maybe that's why FPS improves when you take off, the exhaust smoke isn't being rendered in front of the player view anymore?

Honestly, whenever I dogfight, I never see fire or much smoke when shooting a place down. So, I don't really miss the high effects setting.

I think they should remove the smoke, it's pointless if it's 98% invisible. They can still keep the smoke you see when you cut throttle completely, like in the Ju87.

EJ
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Approved Member

Surprised no one has responded... seems like an easy thing they could fix..
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorRoach View Post
Surprised no one has responded... seems like an easy thing they could fix..
The reason I didn't answer is that I didn't get what the OP meant. A monitor is flat so I don't understand why he would only see smoke looking from an angle... I mean, if I look at my monitor from above or the sides it's not like I see anything different from whats straight in front of me. The only thing I know that gives you the look of different angles is Track IR.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Approved Member

Um, it has to do with the viewing angle... A very sharp viewing angle exposes the smoke on my monitor. You don't see smoke when your engine is idling in a G.50 looking at your monitor from a sharp angle on either side?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Approved Member

maybe i should prove it by taking a picture with a camera looking straight at the monitor vs a sharp angle from the side
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Approved Member

I know what you mean, when I look at my mac I have to tilt the screen so it's facing me direct or it can look like a negative image
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Approved Member

What I do is take off and don't look back until I'm wheels up, rise of flight smoke effects are hard on my system too
Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Approved Member

The problem isn't the smoke effects, try flying over a landing aircraft from a slight height, even though there is much dust the fps should not drop by much. The problem, however, lies with how the game handles dust going through the camera. The main drops in fps are caused by the camera going into a particle effect. A simple solution would be to have a proximity (it doesn't need to be big, just 1m or 2m wide) around the camera which disables particle effects.