Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the masterpiece.....and all the hard work.
Best wishes for the future......I hope it's working on a great sim someplace.
IL2 will live on and on and on......still the best after all this time.
SALUTE!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartoszcze View Post
I thought that you and your team will now start working with 777 on the next il-2 over the eastern front? Isn't that true anymore?
The IC publishers lost patience with Luthier, and the MG developers, and shut down the COD game engine development. The IC publishers obviously had discussions with 777 Studios on the merger to see who would stay, and who would go, from the COD development crew, some of it had to be very political, and cut throat.

Personally I think in the long run, IC publishing made a mistake, as IMHO the Cod game engine has far more potential than the ROF game engine. The ATAG modders are now seeing that vast potential, and it would have been even better if groups like the ATAG modders and developers were working in tandem taking ideas from each other, that would have only improved the product for everyone.

The BOS development should do OK if they greatly improve the user mission builder, and make it easier for users to create mods and content. I personally have some qualms as to 777 Studios behind the scenes involvement in the demise of the new IL-2 game engine, but some people will suggest they saved the sim, I'm not so sure. Time will tell.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
The IC publishers lost patience with Luthier, and the MG developers, and shut down the COD game engine development. The IC publishers obviously had discussions with 777 Studios on the merger to see who would stay, and who would go, from the COD development crew, some of it had to be very political, and cut throat.

Personally I think in the long run, IC publishing made a mistake, as IMHO . I personally have some qualms as to 777 Studios behind the scenes involvement in the demise of the new IL-2 game engine, but some people will suggest they saved the sim, I'm not so sure. Time will tell.

I said this very thing awhile back...if Jason reached out to 1C and initiated/lobbied for the talks to join forces with 1C, why then that would be sad.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Approved Member

For BoS to prosper CoD had(has) to die.
imo
Old 03-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Approved Member

Clod can never die, its just too good

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Approved Member

Pacific fighters gave me my place in the online world....

A huge o/ from me...

godspeed

former
6thIJN_Oiink
CO 6th Kokutai
JFC
Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Approved Member

I think its for the best.

When Oleg was with the game, they had something working. Then he left, and then the engine was broke. Luthier tried his best and it was great effort, but all CLOD was is potential.

The IL-2 1946's successor was gone with Oleg left. We won't have that experience again. But one thing is during his tenure was he cared for the game.

Luthier did too, but seemed it was more obligatory, and if really would have cared, he'd gone to aid 777 with continuing the series. But he really likes Korean War.

777 crew care about the game, so its in good hands.

As much as I wish Tolkien's Fantasy was reality, it's not, its always that awesome potential in my imagination.

That's what CLOD was to me. It worked for me, as I had access to a really powerful computer, but it had the little glitches.

To scrap a game engine after its been developed (and released), really shows that engine had some major flaws and the advantage of fixing it vs using a prior and working engine and modding it to get close to quality of the new buggy engine wasn't worth it.

When they changed it over, I am assuming 777 took pro's vs con's on the CLOD engine and realized it was much easier to mod ROF's engine to close to CLOD than to use CLOD's and fix it.

I really wanted it to get better. But I think when they went to the ROF sound guy, and the sound was on point that one patch, that's when I think started it.

I agree w/ Robtek, one had to die so the other could take its place.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

Luthier didn't break the COD game engine. The COD game engine was unfinished and therefore not working when Oleg left. COD could not be played on most average systems, and normal optimizations weren't enough, so a major rewrite of the graphic engine was required. This huge delay, coupled with all the delays when Oleg was in-charge, user angst, huge costs, destroyed publisher/investor confidence, and they went a different direction. That's unfortunate as COD worked well when first released on my highly optimized system, and only needed some AI work, and COOP tweaks to make the game good enough to play until they were able to fix, improve, and add future features. Team Fusion made up of modders from around the world, are currently seeing the huge potential of the game engine built by the Oleg/Luthier team and believe the future is very bright.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Approved Member

I wonder how Luthier is doing, anyone hear some new news with him

Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro View Post
Luthier ....blabla...., and if really would have cared, he'd gone to aid 777 with continuing the series. But he really likes Korean War..
what a load of nonsense !

you know nothing of what luthier is currently doing, neither do you know or recognise what luthier had to fight against just to keep the CoD release from not occuring at all, and you seem to believe that replacing reality with your own fantasy creation magically makes something be true in this universe

Quote:
777 crew care about the game, so its in good hands.
777 is a money making franchise aimed at squeezing their pocket money loaded teen audience for every cent they can get, and keep milking them at every turn. instead of buying a game at 30$ or 50$, they succeed in draining their "fans" of around 500$ for the same product. if you find that being "in good hands" then off you go to 777 land, but for most il2 fans its a hell realm of wasted opportunity (eg not continuing the SoW dream and building on all the good work already done)

Quote:
To scrap a game engine after its been developed (and released), really shows that engine had some major flaws and the advantage of fixing it vs using a prior and working engine and modding it to get close to quality of the new buggy engine wasn't worth it. .
you really dont have a clue do you, but on you go galloping of into your own fantasy world

lol CoD is/was fixed !! the major issues that caused it to flop on the 2011 release WERE successfully addressed in the july/august/september 2012 patches (the game and gfx engine itself). in your limited mental universe you maybe only perceive it as "fixed" if it resolved ALL issues and addressed your personal pet peeves, but as an initial working version of the SoW series it was perfectly fine and delivered what CoD should have been at original release in 2011. and be prepared for a serious disappointment if you think that RoF-BS is going to be like CoD but only better and with no problems, RoF-BS is going to be very dumbded down and feature limited in comparison (as we already know from 777's own statements)

and it is under the explicit and direct instructions of 1C that luthier from september 2011 NOT work further on CoD and would focus on creating BoM (with the gfx and game engine being fixed for that release), eg it was not a choice of luthiers to do this ! when we got the bad news in oct 2012 that the SoW series was discontinued it was also confirmed by insiders that BoM which they had been exclusively working on for the previous 12 months was on track to be released for early 2013. CoD players got as their last final patch in sept 2012 the same gfx and game engine fixes which had been developed for BoM ( but because of the strict 1C instructions not many further CoD fixes were included). with luthier and a few other MG employees still trying to cram as many fixes into the CoD game as they could at the last minute when it seemed likely the whole series was to be discontinued, you should be thankfull for their hard work.

and in that context you can personally thank 777 for PREVENTING the release of BoM in early 2013 and getting more CoD fixes, because as part of 777's deal with 1C they made it conditional to can the next episode of SoW, to reduce competition when 777's much inferior product would be released later

Quote:
When they changed it over, I am assuming 777 took pro's vs con's on the CLOD engine and realized it was much easier to mod ROF's engine to close to CLOD than to use CLOD's and fix it.
nope grasshopper, that aint it

777 is using its own old game engine because:
1) they are subcontracted by 1C to produce a game at short notice, and do NOT obtain access to the old SoW development material (other then a few models of objects developed for BoM in the last year)
2) 777 does not have the resources or time to develop a new updated game engine for RoF-BS, and they assured 1C they had the means to produce something quickly (which 777 can if they just reskin the old RoF and add a few new planes and ground objects). after the initial release they can just keep working on new objects and sell those piece by piece to keep their gravy train going

and the biggest point you have missed in all of this is that 1C does NOT believe 777 can make a "better" il2-sturmovick series next gen sim that most of the hard core flightsim il2 fans have been waiting for, but instead the motivation is that 1C is frustrated by the money lost on the SoW series they funded for so many years without a financial return and they "liked" the RoF sales model (which for a small initial investment kept milking the same customers over and over every few weeks, to the extent that you could squeeze 500$ out of every customer every year or 2). now THAT is the only thing that mattered in the decision to subcontract their next ww2 flightsim to 777. 1c said exactly that themselves, but maybe just a bit less bluntly

its much easier to understand the world if you limit yourself to some basic logic and reasoning with known facts instead of galloping off into your personal fantasy world
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 03-04-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Closed Thread