Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Approved Member

Default The F4 vs G2 109 :confused:

i never came to a point! please post ur expiriences here!

what is the better 109? the g2 or the f4?

i read about f4 got better aerodynamics but a weaker motor slower climb rate.
g2 instead got more power higher speed and of course more wight.

my expirience says, in g2 u get more victories especially when the opponent crashes on the deck but both got the same guns with it.

please help me out of this...
Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Seven View Post
i never came to a point! please post ur expiriences here!

what is the better 109? the g2 or the f4?

i read about f4 got better aerodynamics but a weaker motor slower climb rate.
g2 instead got more power higher speed and of course more wight.

my expirience says, in g2 u get more victories especially when the opponent crashes on the deck but both got the same guns with it.

please help me out of this...
The G2 has the same aerodynamics as the F4. The G2 has basicly the same engine too, only the cylinder block was bored out to increase the engine capacity from 33.9l to 35.7, litres gaining around 175bhp. This engine performance gain let Messerschmitt fit larger fuel tanks and better protective armour. All this led to the 109G2 being 10% heavier than the 109F, which gave it a higher stall speed and less manuverability than the F and some nasty handling characteristics on take off and landing. This is why the 109F is known as the nicest 109 to fly and the best 109 in a dogfight.

The aerodynamics of the 109G6 though are worse than the F4 and G2, thanks to the larger 13mm machine guns needing more space for their breech mechanism (those two humps infront of the pilot create more drag).

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 03-30-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Approved Member

I think the G2 in this game performs better regardless of real world stats.

Just my 2 bits
Old 03-30-2011, 01:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverCompany01 View Post
I think the G2 in this game performs better regardless of real world stats.

Just my 2 bits
Well it is quite a bit faster than the F4, but I find the F4 does turn and roll better.

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 03-30-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 AM
Approved Member

If it rolls and turns better I would say "marginally" however I tend to use the higher energy and speed to its advantage and as such would give it a slight edge............plus the camouflage is cooler so it must be better...............lol
Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
The G2 has the same aerodynamics as the F4. The G2 has basicly the same engine too, only the cylinder block was bored out to increase the engine capacity from 33.9l to 35.7, litres gaining around 175bhp. This engine performance gain let Messerschmitt fit larger fuel tanks and better protective armour. All this led to the 109G2 being 10% heavier than the 109F, which gave it a higher stall speed and less manuverability than the F and some nasty handling characteristics on take off and landing. This is why the 109F is known as the nicest 109 to fly and the best 109 in a dogfight.

The aerodynamics of the 109G6 though are worse than the F4 and G2, thanks to the larger 13mm machine guns needing more space for their breech mechanism (those two humps infront of the pilot create more drag).
agree!

in game, F4 have weaker weapon than G2, mean it's lighter, and then turn better.

G2 have better weapon and engine a bit better, but a bit heavy.

So it's up to your flying style choosinge one...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Approved Member

The F4 was much lighter and it's the favourite Mk of a lot of the top LW aces.
Everthing after the F4 was a compromise (aerobatically) in some way, even though performance increased (much like the the Spit from Mk 5 onwards)
I think the BoP versions are pretty close - F4 feels more agile than the G's and the G's are more agile than the K. Firepower wise it's the opposite, G's the middle for both, best of both worlds.

I love flying the F4 in bop but it's so hard to kill stuff in it that I end up in a G because when you hit something with that it stays hit!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

thanks for the replies. i had to say that i was knowing about all the tecnical dates about the 109s cause i have eaten up everything i could find about. Books, movies, newspapers etc... and i know the russian programmers kids who did bop wont do so realistic. so...

its the game perform that is confusing me!

BOTH PLANES GOT THE SAME GUNS!

why the g2 is seem to be a better killer?

for me one thing in the g2 feels completly different. the blackout in sharp turns seems to me darker than in same manouvers at the f4. that means that ur pulling mor Gs and that means ur turn is sharper. the same in negative G manouvers. at the g2 i had the feeling that there is more red than in the f4. please tell me more. i'm so still confused...
but both the f4 shall do!!!

so if u came to the same clue plaese tell

Last edited by Dementia_Seven; 03-30-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Seven View Post
thanks for the replies. i had to say that i was knowing about all the tecnical dates about the 109s cause i have eaten up everything i could find about. Books, movies, newspapers etc... and i know the russian programmers kids who did bop wont do so realistic. so...

its the game perform that is confusing me!

BOTH PLANES GOT THE SAME GUNS!

why the g2 is seem to be a better killer?

for me one thing in the g2 feels completly different. the blackout in sharp turns seems to me darker than in same manouvers at the f4. that means that ur pulling mor Gs and that means ur turn is sharper. the same in negative G manouvers. at the g2 i had the feeling that there is more red than in the f4. please tell me more. i'm so still confused...
but both the f4 shall do!!!

so if u came to the same clue plaese tell
Personaly I have never felt the G2 to have more firepower than the F4. You are probably flying faster in the G2 while turning causing more blackout even though the turn is larger. Everything has to be done at a higher speed in the G2.

There is a spreadsheet that someone made back when the game was new, Its hiding somewhere on this forum. Its turn stats were flawed because he used low elevator sensitivity, but you can still compare the 109s performances against each other. I remember the 109F was the quickest to complete a turn.

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 03-30-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Approved Member

the F never seemed to serve me well. could just be my flying style ( or lack of it ). i have always had decent luck with the G2...it turns and rolls like a dream. i would have better luck openning the canopy and throwing my shoes at EA in from of me to bring it down tho. if it had a little better guns it would be the cat's @$$!! i have also done actually done better in the E3 than the F!