Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Other > Other Topics

Other Topics Feel free to discuss other topics here.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Saying the maps in ArmA2 are huge is a bit of a stretch as well.

They are large compared to most FPS console games, and their PC ported versions, but they are tiny compared to IL2 or Cliffs of Dover maps.

The Zargabad (sorry about the spelling) map in the Operation Arrowhead addon for ArmA2 is a whopping 11 miles on a side. This is about the size of four grid squares on the Kuban map in IL2. And this is why flight operations in ArmA2 really are just eye candy for the grunts.

Armor is poorly modeled, and is far too weak.

But, it's not a tank or aircraft sim, it's an infantry sim, and at that it is the finest one available.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

Ali Fish,

ArmA2 and OA are combined, plus the other semi add-ons like BAF and Private military what-not.

I have an old computer, the minimum spec for Clod, and it just manages ArmA2 etc with medium settings. If I mug enough old ladies in the coming weeks, I might get a new rig ready for July; and I'll be playing both ArmA2 and Clod.

The first, because it is an excellent game, and the second, because it will be an excellent game.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, I'm a big Arma2 fan and the mod community is prolific to say the least, there's some truely great addons for it. To my mind it shares many similarities with COD, it can look absolutely fantastic in certain situations, the vehicle models are very sharp, but at other times slow loading textures and dipping frame rates when the going gets hectic can dilute the enjoyment.

I'd say it runs quite similarly to COD in many ways too, in its vanilla form out of the box it probably runs much better than COD, but it does depend what mods you end up adding, some of the nice explosion and effects eyecandy can do serious damage to its overall performance, but there's such a wealth of stuff to go at its a case of try it and see. Very tweakable setup helps.

Its worth remembering that Arma2 is really a third iteration release, being an evolution starting with Operation Flashpoint> Arma> Arma2 and as I recall my experiences with Arma in particular were not good at the time, it didnt run at all well with the hardware I had.

Anybody who loves open ended simulations, great mod community support and powerful mission editing software shouldn't hesitate to try it in my opinion, its very immersive, and given time COD has every chance of being regarded in the same vein.

Last edited by Zappatime; 05-13-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

If you like Battlefield or call of duty etc dont buy Operation arrowhead. You wont like it

Dieing "for no good reason", getting killed or outmanouvered by a skilled ai, not being able to just charge towards the enemy with all guns blazing, not caring if you die coz you can just respawn and carry on. You will just get frustrated that the game hasnt acknowledged you obvious supreme skill and capabilities and wont let you go on an endless manic killing spree.

If however you fancy a bit of simulated warfare where planning and teamwork lead to success, and mistakes mean your dead, play OA.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Approved Member

the only thing i want to do is to be able to merge my retail version of arma 2 + Operation arrohead. I need to run first the arma 2 as administrator, then install arrowhead, run as admin and then update?
Anyways i like it so much, although you need to spend serious tiem at familiarizin, this genre compared to COD is like comparing teh kindergarden with a high level highschool
Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoo View Post
Just a question , anybody here have ARMA2? If so can you run that with full detail? I tried this and it brought my computer down too it's knees. Ran about 6fps. The biggest killer was the draw distance , turn that right up and you have a COD scenario with an entire island visible if you are in a plane.

Arma2 has been out for years and computers still struggle with it. COD isnt doing too bad performance wise it's just unfinished. We shouldnt be too hard on the guys at 1C.
Hi,

I play ArmA 2 at full m8

CPU Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 -> OC 4 Ghz MB ASUS P6T Cooler Noctua NH-D14 Memory 12GB
GPU 2x nVidia 285 GTX 1GB SLI HD 2x SATAII WD VelociRaptor 150GB RAID 0
SB ASUS Xonar DS/DT 7.1 PSU Tagan 1100W OS W7 Ult.64 LCD LG W2284F-PF
TrackIR 3 Pro + Saitek X-52 + Saitek Pro Rudders Pedals + Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant + Saitek PcDash 2
Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Approved Member

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/invasion1944/...2da345331c1d9&

that gives me a ton of fun......