Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 10-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Default I'm readty to thorugh this damn game in the trash!!!

Gents,

I've been "trying" (in vain it seems) to understand how to set the joystick inputs up for beginners, such as myself, and simply CANNOT figure it out!!!

I've NEVER has this much trouble with any other flight sim game! That includes I-L2 Strumovik, as well as Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 1 & 2! This is literally maddening! I can't even get through the training mode with a successful solo flight!

I'm using a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick, and all the inputs for axes controls are working. HOWEVER - they seem to be OVERLY sensitive to the slightest input on the joystick!!! I can't even get off the damn ground in a solo training flight! The aircraft is ALL (and I DO mean ALL) OVER the runway (from left to right) and even the tiniest input to the joystick causes the game to overreact to that input, and I find myself having to do a corrective input to "try" and stop the first! And it only seems to escalate from there! By the time I'm lifting the tail, I'm so "involved" with rudder inputs that before I know it, the aircraft has nosed over! And that's the end of that try!

I can taxi all day long, but SOMETHING has GOT to be amiss for these over-the-top inputs?!

PLEASE! Can ANYONE explain this to me, or how I should set the joystick axes inputs (at the bottom left of the screen once you click on rudder, aileron, or elevator)! For whatever reason, I feel like this may be the possible source my problem. Otherwise I am now at a total loss as to what to do to make this game work !

MANY THANKS!!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Approved Member

Calm, calm.... That sounds a lot like when I started to (re)learn to start...

read here: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...play.php?f=109

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Artist; 10-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Calm, calm.... That sounds a lot like when I started to (re)learn to start...

read here: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...play.php?f=109
Artist,

Will these mods work with windows 8?!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMax4195 View Post
Artist,
Will these mods work with windows 8?!
Puuh, beats me - guess they do work as good as the original CloD does, insofar as these are no mods, but the only further development CloD will ever see... But that wasn't the main point: They're really helpful over there easing in newcomers (to CloD).

Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Well... the first 3.00 MOD didn't change ANY of the actual "flight" characteristics what-so-ever! Still nose diving into the ground! WTF?! It did however, change the engine sound for first solo and probably a few "other" pretty little details that aren't helping my issues at all!

That said, I seriously have my doubts that the "other" 2 Mods (i.e. 3.01 and 4.00) are going to make one damn bit of difference eityher! But I'll give them a "try" anyway!

I've NEVER been more frustrated over a stupid game in my life!!!!

Downloaded all the patches and..... SAME SHIT! I STILL CANNOT CONTROL THE DAMN AIRCRAFT - PERIOD!!!! I CAN'T EVEN GET IT THE DAMN THING TO FLY STRAIGHT AND LEVEL LONG ENOUGH TO EVEN GET A F..ING HIT ON AN ENEMY IN A QUICK MISSION! I'm all but DONE with this damn game unless someone can offer any help! This is nothing more than shear ridiculousness!!!

Any thoughts... ANYONE????!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BlueMax4195; 10-29-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Approved Member

I understand the frustration, but you might not get any reasonable advice if you behave like a spoiled, teenage tw@t.

Anyway, back to the point. I don't have the game installed on my PC at the moment, but I'll try to help. The problem sounds more like a general control sensivity issue, so the TF mods/patches will NOT help (as You noticed), because they were made to fix totally different things in the game.

However, If I recall correctly, you can adjust joystick axis sensivity manually, by editing config.ini file. There should be a section there, called [rts_joystick] (like in old Il-2 46 series) with a set of parameters controlling the sensivity of all three axes. The numbers you have to adjust are the ones in 1X, 1Y, 1Z lines - again, just like in old Il-2 series. Actually, I'd say copy these lines from your Il-2 install to CloD for a good start and see what happens. While we're at it, be careful with the goddamn Windows/Steam/whatever setting your config.ini to read only or reverting back to the default values!

Good luck and cheers.

Last edited by Art-J; 10-29-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Approved Member

If your style of writing is similiar to your style of flying, I do not see you ever leaving the ground in CloD. Lots of patience is not a virtue here, but a sheer necessity.

I gave you the link not primarily for the Patches 3.0, 3.0.1, and 4.0 (which you should install regardless of them solving your problem or not), but for what is written there beyond the first one or two paragraphs...

Artist

Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Approved Member

BlueMax,

Do you check if your controls are not inverted?
Look plane in ground with external view - if are the case, tick the box "Reverse" - see below
- for the axis.

For sensitivity you adjust here:

I the above adjust 0 means 100% and 1 means 1% (probable the box are too small to show 100.00 ).

In 100% josytick movement are full translated do plane controls.
In 1% joystick movement are damped, allow a more precise command - and slow reactions.

Quote:
I can't even get off the damn ground in a solo training flight! The aircraft is ALL (and I DO mean ALL) OVER the runway (from left to right) ...
What plane your are using?

If are in training mode - forget this, the Tiger Moth are underpowered, and due this is the most difficult plane to get of the ground, and at last dont teach nothing to anyone. A bad
decision include then (the "infamous" player request...).

I suggest use Hurricane instead.

If you already patch your game for Team Fusion Patch 4.0 Tiger Moth engine power are corrected, that turn things more easy, but prevail what I say above.

Another thing is, if you slam the throttle full and "fight" with rudder, you start a pendulum movement difficult to control.

Throttle up gently and slow apply rudder to compensate torque effect.

At end, I find that set joystick, buttons/keys dont differ from il-2 1946- and the GUI have some advantages over this.
And take of and landing are more easy than in il-2 1946.

Sokol1
"...we did Co-ops every week. I used to read all the complaints on bananarama how coops was impossible and then I'd go and have a great squad night flying coops....couldn't figure out what they were complaining about. "
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1 View Post
What plane your are using?

If are in training mode - forget this, the Tiger Moth are underpowered, and due this is the most difficult plane to get of the ground, and at last dont teach nothing to anyone. A bad
decision include then (the "infamous" player request...).

I suggest use Hurricane instead
Thanks Soko,

I actually "am" using the Hurricane, which is unfortunately the aircraft giving me all the headache in first solo flight.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
I understand the frustration, but you might not get any reasonable advice if you behave like a spoiled, teenage tw@t.
Art,

Unfortunately I'm a LONG way from being a teenager, as I'm old enough to have one or more of my own, but instead have one 7-year-old little boy , who asks me all the time about being able to simply "watch" Daddy play this game. The frustration I'm experiencing with this one issue (most importantly) at the very beginning of the game, is serving to leave a bad taste in my mouth for the game as a whole - and I haven't even had the opportunity to enjoy the real purpose for the game (first person pilot) in a part of history I truly do love! I sometimes wish I still were a teenager! Maybe as such, I could figure this out a little easier. My biggest complaint is the time and money I've spent to make the game even work and I'm still at square one!

I'll be quite honest in admitting that I'm not all that PC savy, as I'm more of a Mac guy, with 20+ years of experience in the graphic design industry.

All that said, can you offer me any directions as to how to edit the config.ini file? it's a lot of writing similar to a Word file, but I'm not sure what I need to edit. Also the section which you refer to as the rts_joystick, is this located within the game itself or another file I should open separately?

As I mentioned - I'm somewhat PC illiterate, and ask for your understanding in offering your help.

MANY THANKS AGAIN!