Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Approved Member

Default FOV settings

Can someone please tell me how to get a view that is not as magnified as the zoom...I remember with IL-2 you could set it to what ever distance you wanted to so as to adjust it perfectly for your own magnification...they went up in 5s.....FOV 20, FOV 25, FOV 30, FOV 35...etc

I'm sure it must be in COD controls somewhere...I just can't find that option...

Thanks in advance...lew

CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge overclocked to 4.80GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
Cooler: OcUK H2 Flo Extreme Cooler
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR
Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick
Saitek X36 Throttle(completely modified)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Approved Member

I don't think you can.... BS hey? All i see is an option to hold a key to increase/decrease FOV in cockpit.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Approved Member

~S~ Lew

Dont think you can mate, or if you can I havent found it..

That Zoom is too strong though il give you that, I only use it when im scanning the ground for example
Old 07-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Approved Member

Out of all the things wrong with this game, this is THE show stopper. I don't mind that they didn't impliment IL2's cockpit view, but couldn't they have come up with something useful.

In IL2 you could choose between 3 views with [DELETE][END][PAGEDWN?]. Those three views could then be bound to one button by cycling through them. Clumsy, but it worked. The [SHIFT F1] command that aligned the off canter gunsites worked well - though admittedly a little unrealistic. In CoD it's a total failure. It literally pi$$es me off at how awefully implimented the view system is in this game. Why take me out of the action for one second while trying to view an enemy that is now at my side/top, because I had an energy advantage? If I'm leaned into the gunsite the view takes one second to 'turn off' - meanwhile the enemy I'm trying to BnZ isn't in my line of sight anymore, and I can't change it because of piss poor employment of the lean to gunsite function. He could be anywhere by the time I get my eye back on him.

Now we have the god aweful conglomeration of mouse and keypad.... or you can assign specific joystick buttons for each of the three views, but you cant rotate each view with one button.

I don't get into pissing matches regarding the state of the game. 1C could fix everything in the game, and still I'd probably be forever disappointed.

edit: Funny. IL2 1946 with the 4:11 patch now uses 6DOF perfectly. PERFECTLY! RoF works quite well too. CoD? Oh well.

Last edited by Robert; 07-04-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Approved Member

Hmmm.....The plot thickens.....Why did they not include this when it was proven to work so well with IL-2...Thats like not learning from something that lasted all those years.....weird!.....cycling the views on one button too...would be so easy....At the mo I am zooming in when I have the target close and then going to normal distance which for me is too far....I used to use the zoom in IL-2 when I got close to shoot.....then I had a button dedicated to one of the various 'FOV' distances too which was specific for my style.....but I struggle with this....Not an easy transition for me....like learning to fly again..DOH!

I bet that there is someone out there with the know how of how to do this in the files somewhere......Hmmmm....There's a lot of clever fellas out there!

CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge overclocked to 4.80GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
Cooler: OcUK H2 Flo Extreme Cooler
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR
Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick
Saitek X36 Throttle(completely modified)
Old 07-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Approved Member

has anybody tried editing the ini file and replace the current default 30-70-90 values (at least they were for the old il2) and enter the new values you need, for ex 30-50-120 ?

not sure if that is possible as a current workaround, but i find it frustrating we cant assign it in the options like we did for the old il2 (each screen size needs to be set to a specific FoV that corresponds to that screen size to make ingame objects/aircraft/vehicles look their correct sizes for the distance we view them from)

its one of those simple gameplay issues luthier is completely blind to in seeing the need to address them, yet it would be very simple for them to do

some movie makers reported they were/are able to set the exact FoV they want, but i think they do it by zooming in with the mouse to get the view they want, and cant control to snap to a specific FoV that is preset for our screensizes
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Approved Member

I use the Hold button to increase/decrease my FOV, with my HOTAS and it actually works very well, the hold to adjust button is on my throttle and the increase/decrease buttons are on my stick, it took about 30 mins to adjust to it and now its second nature to zoom in and out as needed and is very smooth in combat.

It is very dependent on having a HOTAS granted but as long as you do it's a good system once you take the 5 mins it takes to set it up.
I actually prefer it to the IL-1946 system now I'm used to it.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarden View Post
I use the Hold button to increase/decrease my FOV, with my HOTAS and it actually works very well, the hold to adjust button is on my throttle and the increase/decrease buttons are on my stick, it took about 30 mins to adjust to it and now its second nature to zoom in and out as needed and is very smooth in combat.

It is very dependent on having a HOTAS granted but as long as you do it's a good system once you take the 5 mins it takes to set it up.
I actually prefer it to the IL-1946 system now I'm used to it.
I'll have to investigate that farther, skarden. I have a HOTAS and I've tried to do what you explained but had no luck with it. Even after a reinstall I couldn't assign the two buttons to work together. I figured it was another broken part of the game - sort of like assigning fuel cocks and not having them work within the game.

I've got CH HOTAS and would love to be able to use the throttle's gimbal. Anyone have luck with that?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Approved Member

There are 3 default zoom levels that work ok for me. Its not what im used to but its usable. Otherwise the only other way to get custom zoom is to map a key and use the mouse which is obviously pretty clumsy! (what on earth were they thinking! Its not a turn based RPG or RTS!) Ive mapped the default FOV zooms to X52 throttle mouse wheel down(zoom in)/up(zoom out) and click for default zoom.

PS editing the ini defaults doesnt work.

Last edited by FS~Phat; 07-05-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:10 AM
Approved Member

You have to set it up using "Hold To Adjusts Field of View" in "Camera" tab then use your mouse to zoon in/out.