Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Approved Member

looks like I'm the only one who likes the muscle training with the stick.

My first Joystick was a Thrustmaster X-Fighter, with the badest spring ever.
Playing Tie Fighter and X-Wing vs Tie Fighter for hours. Best muscle training ever.
After one month you didn't had any problems anymore. ( Also a good excuse for not going to fitness studios )
Old 01-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Approved Member

In my case, when I ride my Hog sleeveless next summer I don't want the guys to see my right arm hugely developed vs my left arm. Telling them it's because I "got a lot of stick time in over the winter" probably would not be helpful.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

You mean like Cermes the javelin thrower?

Don't worry. I'm lefthanded....
Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
Very nice Joystick and Throttle and with so many switches and buttons that you can put everything you want!

The bad news:
The Stick is done for modern Fly-by-wire airplanes: You give the plane a movement with the stick (e.g. 20° left), the plane takes the position and subsequently the computer keeps the plane stable at the situation you put it in.
So even if the stick is very stiff, you have no problems.

In CoD it is not fly by wire and there are few trim controls so you are obliged to keep the stick continously at a certain position in order to make the plane keep a certain direction.
Good luck to your right wrist if you like flying 1-2hrs...

~S~
OK, try it again...a car drives like that, not a plane, nor a joystick !!!
Crucial M4 256GB SSD, WD Raptor 600 GB hard disk
EVGA GTX580 graphics card
HP ZR24W Monitor 1900 X 1200 24"
Thrustmaster Warthog joystick
Saitek Combat rudder pedals
TrackIr 5
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoilfx View Post
I think it's ridiculous that Flight Sims developers do not ship default profiles for the major joysticks. I hate the amount of time I have to spend on adding all these key bindings before I start the game. Sometimes I don't even know what to bind since I havn't learned what the function is yet!

There are what, only 7-8 major joysticks (Warthog, Cougar, x52, g40, t1600m, hotas x, 3d extreme pro, msffb2, ch combat sticks).. If they spend one day of an employee time just make these few default profiles, it would save us so much time and the game would seem more polished.

What ticks me off even more about CloD is that some of the major functions such complex engine management operations aren't even bond to the keyboards.
Actually, i prefer it the other way around. When there's a lot of different functions needed, i always go with a custom profile of my own. That's not to say a stock profile wouldn't help people who just want to plug in and give it a whirl but you would still have to do the bulk of the work anyway, which is finding out what each function does, when you need it and where it is on your stick.

I just find it easier to map my own controls similar to how i had them in IL2 1946 instead of having to memorize new ones, but of course it's a subjective thing
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Approved Member

Thinking of changing up the plans a bit and upgrading to a x52 pro. Then using the extra cash saved to put towards a CH throttle quadrant, some Saitek Combat Pedals, and maybe a Derek Spear designs button box for flying and driving iRacing.

While the Warthog looks SO cool and real that's a lot of cash and I think I will miss my Saitek rotory dials too much for trimming.

I wish most stores still had the "joystick aisle" like bestbuy did a few years back so you could test them out.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

It's done guys. Pulled the trigger on a new x52 pro. I've had my standard x52 going on 7 years and she still works good. May keep it as a backup for sell on ebay.

Couldn't pull that much money on the Warthog. I'm too used to my x52 controls and trim wheels.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Approved Member

I just got the Warthog and had my first flight last night. Lots of programing options. Hours and hours of fun can be had just programing the thing. I was a bit shocked at how heavy the stick is. I may replace the heavy grease with some light lube. On the positive side, it is very stable. I do NOT like giving up the rotaries on the X-52. So I will say that this is a trial basis. I do like the way it feels but it does lack some things...
GSkil DDR3 1600x8Gigs
EVGA GTX580
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Approved Member

I just setup my x52 pro in my Obutto. I could not give up the rotaries, I like them too much

The x52 pro is much much cooler than the standard x52 I've had for the last 7 years. The stick feels heavier, smoother. The metal buttons are a nice touch and make it more meaty. I really like the new green LED colors and black/metal trim, makes it look less like a toy and more like something you'd find in an aircraft.

I cleaned my Obutto out and redid all the wiring. Everything is nice and tidy now, no cables running everywhere. I also moved the Obutto throttle attachment further up so I could make room to mount my new CH Throttle Quadrant on the Obutto arm. Works great! Lots of levers and rotaries at my disposal for CEM in CloD I'm excited!

I'll post some pictures in a few weeks once my Derek Speares Designs button box comes in as well. Then my updated cockpit will be completed. Not it's off to program some buttons!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

I realize that this thread is old but maybe someone will find use in it as I did when I first got my warthog and it was to stiff.

Of the fixes listed, number three is the way to go. Those bottom four springs lessen the tension of the large coil spring. All one needs to do is double those up (two on each post or get slightly stronger replacements. I doubled them and used some molycote mL30 plastics grease and mine is perfect.

The number two fix that leaves the coil spring out and moves the bottom springs to the top works but lessens the full range of movement since they compress and get in the way a bit at the end of the travel.

Just go to the hardware store and get the same little four springs and double them up on the bottom. put the big coil back and your good to go. Smooth as butter and no cramped wrist.