Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Approved Member

Once you get into the POV and Joystick functions you are running into a LOT of very very tiny wires. I would not recomend messing with those as you will more than likely be buying a new stick (or two). I have found however that the aviator joystick is much less jerky and serisously easy to aim with after I used Bunsenbeaker's zip tie mod. Just use 2 zip ties to lesson the spring tension at the base of the stick (see pic)

Thanks Bunsenbeaker!
Rev

Last edited by reverend66; 08-03-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

I fully support the zip-tie mod as well. I was actually able to fly the P-51 much more smoothly, and even did some dogfighting in that mission. During previous attempts, all my turning to line up the sights would just send it into a stall or a spin given the abrupt nature the stick had of going from center to about 1/3 of it's range of motion.

Seriously, if you're wondering about this mod I don't know why. It's so cheap, and easily makes this stick so much better.

My thanks to Bunsenbeaker as well!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Approved Member

I thought the stick already seemed a bit too loose. It flies better with less tension?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

If you have your stick handy - go ahead and simply set a finger against it and start pushing it very lightly in a direction. Increase the pressure until it moves. If it's setup the way I've seen most AV8R sticks, it will take a good amount of pressure for that bottom, cone-shaped section of the stick to "pop" over the edge and let the stick start moving freely. This is really what the mod fixes in my opinion. Now just pushing the stick lightly will let it move freely in the direction without that hangup on the base itself, allowing for much smoother movements when you need to make only slight adjustments.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Approved Member

Cool, I'll have try that out.

Rev, I haven't opened any sticks up yet but couldn't you just cut the wires before the board solder points and splice them there? Seems like that would be easier then trying to desolder and resolder all the board connections.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Approved Member

Actually Tex that is how I did it, the only things I soldered were the wiring to the buttons to make sure they wouldn't get loose & short. If you can find some buttons with wire pre-attached to them no soldering would be required.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

Today I finished up the controller by adding map & view buttons as well. To wire these do the same as with the other buttons, they all use the same grey wire as ground. Here are some photos of the location of the wires you need to cut & connect to the buttons.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wL3f1bGat8Q/Sn...1249250717.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_wL3f1bGat8Q/Sn...1249250832.jpg
And here is the finished product.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wL3f1bGat8Q/Sn...1249251140.jpg

This is a great way to turn an almost useless stick into a really comfortable custom setup. It is not that hard to do (believe me I'm no electronics expert) and less than $10.

Have fun!
Rev

Last edited by reverend66; 08-03-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Approved Member

I can't see the new pictures.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Approved Member

Wierd, oh well I set them as links, they should work now. I've also decided to see if it's possible to move the d-pad to top of the stick as well (this will have to wait untill tomorrow as I have had a few beers

Rev
Old 08-03-2009, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Default Different Mod

what I did with this AV8TR was to addres the problem with the hand rest and also swaped some button functions around. the RB(Button) for the X wich is the thick oragne wire inside the stick and one of the thin orange wire coming out of the stick. also the LSB (Button) for the B which is the zoom this is the Dark thick Purple wire and the thin yellow wire coming out of the stick. also removed the lock that the X button and added some foam dots on it to make the button more accsesible ans make the HAT stick easier to use. also added a foam dot to make the new B Button which now is on the LSB.
The other guy's aviator looks nice with the new button(Just A coment)
If you have any questions hey feel free to ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hail 026.JPG (1.97 MB, 70 views)