Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Default 20th anniversary flying IL2. Roll call?

I and many other people started flying IL2 in 2001. Here we are in it's 20th year, which can be called many things.

Still flying it offline here and there when the weather is bad just so I don't forget which buttons to push.

Miss the early to mid-2000s when the servers were full of hundreds of virtual pilots all flying the same patch, and many of them on hard settings.

If this is your 20th year chained to this flight sim raise your hand okay?

Jumo
Old 04-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Approved Member

Downloaded the demo, and suddenly my life, and my wallet, would never be the same.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:13 PM
Approved Member

The servers were full and people waiting in a queue to join...

I don't remember where I got the demo from. From the magazine, probably.
But I can not forget my trip to the book/PC shop where I spotted new disk with the first offical release. I was supposed to buy some school books and educational CDs to my daughter. I did that and then returned and purchased IL-2.
And then there were many nights of fun and heavy mornings. I was real addict for several years.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:42 AM
Approved Member

My old box for the original IL2 release says it was $39.99 in US dollars. It says have a 400mhz processor and 256mb of ram and a 32mb video card for best performance. I was very lucky, I bought a used AMD 900mhz Thunderbird with Windows 2000 that year to run the game on, but it was a year or more before I got a really decent video card. A friend of mine still has that rig in running condition!
Old 04-18-2020, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

Default How time flies

How time flies. I think I got my first copy of IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 around 2008 or 2009. I discovered this great resource a year or two later, and now I’m looking back on ten years and more of game play.
Many, many thanks to the Daidalos team and their great work keeping the sim alive.
And thanks to all fellow pilots who have over the years joined in and made the conversations interesting. Adding their experiences and work arounds to all the requests for trouble shooting. I raise my glass to you all.

Cheers
Oh Chute!
Old 11-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Approved Member

Default Still a Fan.

I started with the Demo Disc in 2001. What an amazing experience! Rain drops on the P-39 cockpit. Struggle to get aloft!

Bought the game on a disc and I had to delete my woman from my life. No other choice.

Flying the Sturmovik over that beautiful freezing snow whilst being dazzled by the sun was fantastic.

My first time on line. What was going on? Nobody told me what to expect. Real pilots are not AI. That's for sure.

Anyway, we had a great 'MB' team of Brits, Germans and Dutch. I ended up visiting Germany many times and friendships continue. Prost, Uwe!

Best Regards,
MB_Avro
Old 12-15-2020, 03:39 AM
Approved Member

I almost never fly online anymore, mostly offline. I did get online once or twice, and the last time while I was flying I heard this noise and wondered what it was, it was my damn heart pounding.

It might be fun to try the latest version of IL2 with VR etc., but I would have to spend how many thousand dollars to get up to date equipment??? I am still using Windows XP and a computer I put together ten or more years ago that I doubt I could get twenty dollars for now. It does run IL246 GREAT though. Not as good as it used to because my good video card burned out, but still good.

Mostly it is the time though, I don't think I want to spend the time on flying this sim that I did from 2001 through about 2009. It was a blast but if I could do it all over again I would not, I would spend the time doing something real in the garage or outdoors or with friends and family, anything. Lately I have been making some axe handles by hand, built a little barn last year, fixed up an old stick-shift Toyota to drive and rode around on my old Norton motorbike.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:44 AM
Approved Member

G'day All ! ~S~
Still flying, hard to catch up as not many in HL when I visit, as the hours are far different down our way.
but still loving the beast it has grown ionto, and with all the hot work making it even better modded it goes on and on.
Stay safe everyone and good luck in 2021 !
And to president Putin, Please drop a neuc on our moron prime minister, fat head dumb arse scott the morron morrison, please ! he is a dick head and a prick.
Sharkzz aka Lozza
Old 01-30-2021, 09:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkzz View Post
G'day All ! ~S~
Still flying, hard to catch up as not many in HL when I visit, as the hours are far different down our way.
but still loving the beast it has grown ionto, and with all the hot work making it even better modded it goes on and on.
Stay safe everyone and good luck in 2021 !
And to president Putin, Please drop a neuc on our moron prime minister, fat head dumb arse scott the morron morrison, please ! he is a dick head and a prick.
Sharkzz aka Lozza
"Dear God, please kill them all"? Seriously...
Old 01-30-2021, 01:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkzz View Post
drop a neuc ....
Sharkzz aka Lozza
Settle down Lozza ... Take a pill or have a beer or something will ya!