Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Approved Member

Question Hurricane prop - Bf109 seat armour

Thanks luthier for update

Just a couple of things 'bugging me'

1. The Hurricane propeller shape is not right (I will follow-up asaspo with a couple of photo scans) from the book 'My Part of the Sky' by Roland Beamont.
2. There is no seat head armour plate on the Bf109's - not sure if this model had it?

Everything else looks terrific - keep the the pics coming.

DFLion
Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Hecke

The terrain on the first shot looks weird.

The trees look like they would be flat green paper swimming on the water surface.
They seem to have no depth from sight of the sky.

Rest is nice.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Approved Member

Nice shots

was PO a squadron code for the Hurri-bus? Also, how will the markings be done? Does the game handle the various sizes of roundels in place in 1940, the various underwing schemes, etc etc ?

Nice to see that sfx aren't being shown although it'd be great to see the development of it.

Will clouds be edited to have flat bottoms?

A/C models look awesome.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Approved Member

Thanks Luthier. Btw, i agree with Hecke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecke View Post
The terrain on the first shot looks weird.

The trees look like they would be flat green paper swimming on the water surface.
They seem to have no depth from sight of the sky.

Rest is nice.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Tree_UK

Aircraft models look good, terrain still looks like a cartoon well to me it does, but I do appreciate this is still early in development.

A great question though from Bobb4 i am also hoping that the AI control surfaces will move.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb4 View Post
A simple question from me, will enemy/friendly/other player/ai plane's main operating surfaces move or will we be forced like in the current IL2 to look for othe visual cues that they are trying to sideslip, barrel-roll etc.
At the moment all planes do not seem to show elevator,alerion, rudder or other movements other than on the player controlled plane. I could be wrong but all the visuals i have seen seem to reinforce this. Please tell me I am wrong.
Other than that I have to say everything looks great.

Example
Look at the screenshots of the 109's in formation and the J88's banking and all the control surfaces look static?
That is exactly as it should be: you cannot really "see" in flight the movements or determine in a meaningful way the position of the operating surfaces.
For some strange reasons the movements in Il2 are exaggerated beyond belief and may give you a wrong impression this is normal: it is not!

Anybody having ever flown an aircraft or observed other aircraft maneuvering would tell you that the kind of operating surface travel "to the stops" you see in flight in Il2 is unrealistic: such positions will only be seen at slow speed (typically beginning of takeoff acceleration run: you may need full rudder travel if torque is important, or full elevator up to keep the wheel on the ground after landing for instance), and also due to slow speed, in some aerobatics manoeuvers (but not combat manoeuvers: you would never go that slow for obvious reasons).
Using controls with the travels shown in Il2 would instantly overstress the hull and wings, if not breaking them right away...IRL!

So you should not expect being able to guess another aircraft sideslip that easily just by noticing rudder position, unless you have really the yes of an eagle! You would notice it as you said yourself by other cues, mainly the almost undefinable "wrongness" of its flying or the fact the ailerons are not symmetrical in a prolonged way: this is the only cue which can be easily observed even for very low control travels

JVM
Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the update Luthier. Simply gorgeous. The crew animation sounds very exciting.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Aircraft models look good, terrain still looks like a cartoon well to me it does, but I do appreciate this is still early in development.

A great question though from Bobb4 i am also hoping that the AI control surfaces will move.
Early in development...oh reaallllly?...
Anyway great update.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=dflion;172629]Thanks luthier for update

Just a couple of things 'bugging me'

1. The Hurricane propeller shape is not right (I will follow-up asaspo with a couple of photo scans) from the book 'My Part of the Sky' by Roland Beamont.

This has been covered before. There were a number of different spinner profiles used and this is a good representation of one of them. I think I remember someone saying that some Hurris were fitted with constant speed spitfire units which were slightly oversize and required an oil collection ring to be fitted behind the spinner to prevent escaped oil from getting on the screen. I think this might be one of those.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
That is exactly as it should be: you cannot really "see" in flight the movements or determine in a meaningful way the position of the operating surfaces.
For some strange reasons the movements in Il2 are exaggerated beyond belief and may give you a wrong impression this is normal: it is not!

Anybody having ever flown an aircraft or observed other aircraft maneuvering would tell you that the kind of operating surface travel "to the stops" you see in flight in Il2 is unrealistic: such positions will only be seen at slow speed (typically beginning of takeoff acceleration run: you may need full rudder travel if torque is important, or full elevator up to keep the wheel on the ground after landing for instance), and also due to slow speed, in some aerobatics manoeuvers (but not combat manoeuvers: you would never go that slow for obvious reasons).
Using controls with the travels shown in Il2 would instantly overstress the hull and wings, if not breaking them right away...IRL!

So you should not expect being able to guess another aircraft sideslip that easily just by noticing rudder position, unless you have really the yes of an eagle! You would notice it as you said yourself by other cues, mainly the almost undefinable "wrongness" of its flying or the fact the ailerons are not symmetrical in a prolonged way: this is the only cue which can be easily observed even for very low control travels

JVM
The other cues are fine. But the control surfaces are not moving at all period.
Be they in the air or during take-off and landing.
Pilots heads are not moving either, a very sterile envitonment. Luthier has talked about crew animation i was just hoping control surface movement would be evident by now.
Other sims (which i will not name) have already included this.
Four J88's in a right hand bank all with exactly the same control positions????
Lokk at the Hurricaine which is obviously player controlled and you will see the rudder is moved!
Not a gripe just a question.