Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Approved Member

Default Adding new maps: Which one would be the most useful?

I strikes me that if anyone (myself included) is thinking about doing a map for IL-2 1946 and submitting it to Team Daidalos for inclusion, that it will take a lot of time, effort, and dedication to a single battle area to try and make it work. It's a hell of a lot of research and then time spend doing it not to mention working with fiddly tools.

So I wanted to toss it out there. If I or someone else or a group of us were to try and build something then what map area should it be and what resources would we be able to rely on?

Couple of ground rules:

1) Looking for useful battle areas. Big or key battles with a variety of action. A remote area that saw maybe a half dozen air to air kills isn't something all that useful.

2) Map size and complexity needs to be achievable at either 1:1 scale or perhaps 1:2 scale.

I've been thinking about Leyte Gulf but resources are short in some places and I'm not 100% on a usable battle area. Ideally I'd like to have Japanese and American airbases for both online battles and historical missions from both sides on that one.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

Again .... the Channel Map with decent textures.

It's blatantly missing from IL2 1946.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Approved Member

Yep, the Channel was the first that came to my mind....
A relatively small area (could be made in 1:1), particularly well researched and documented, with endless air kills from the very beginnings.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Approved Member

I have three MTO maps in the works. If there is anybody willing to give a hand in placing textures and objects, or even better, producing custom textures and 3d objects, please PM me.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Approved Member

I thought that a Channel map was 'forbidden'...or would it be allowed now due to the demise of COD?

Aviar
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1
Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _1SMV_Gitano View Post
I have three MTO maps in the works. If there is anybody willing to give a hand in placing textures and objects, or even better, producing custom textures and 3d objects, please PM me.
I would be. I've been reading some tutorials about how its done. I'm not yet started but I'll send you a PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Again .... the Channel Map with decent textures.

It's blatantly missing from IL2 1946.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperton View Post
Yep, the Channel was the first that came to my mind....
A relatively small area (could be made in 1:1), particularly well researched and documented, with endless air kills from the very beginnings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviar View Post
I thought that a Channel map was 'forbidden'...or would it be allowed now due to the demise of COD?

Aviar
I'd be interested in a channel map. That would be very useful potentially.

There are three questions:

1) There's already a channel map made by some modders. Would they be interested in making it official? What roadblocks are there to it being given that status? Does anyone know them?

2) Is an "official" channel map verboten or are we allowed to do it?

3) What size/area would such a map be. Again, aiming for maximal usefulness. How deep would it go into either country?

Just looking at it now we could probably have a number of uses from the "tip and run" raids to the Dunkirk invasion. Perhaps the Channel Dash scenario. Perhaps an additional aircraft variant like the RAF Mustang Mark I (first in action over Dunkirk). Ambitious but an option.

I've also investigated (in addition to Leyte) doing a China map but I don't know the geography versus battle spaces as well and in doing a summary of the information I'm finding that its hard to find a good tactical space to recreate. Bases are massively far apart. It'd also need significant help in terms of creating houses and other doodads and that would also assume that we'll hopefully have a Ki-44 Shoki and Ki-48 Lily in the nearish future.

I'm also curious how receptive some additional small scale dogfight maps would be. Not necessarily historical but thematic (i.e. West Front dogfight, China dogfight, etc.) and designed for online battles.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _1SMV_Gitano View Post
I have three MTO maps in the works.
It's gorgeous!!!! Unfortunately I can't help you, but fingers crossed!! I voted for the Channel because IceFire stipulated that "big or key battles" must have happened there. Historically, the Med was only a secondary theatre, but I love it above all.

(You know, red soil and wine, mare azzurro, olive trees, pesky Italian planes...)

Last edited by sniperton; 01-27-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:04 AM
Approved Member

How about somewhere other than Western Europe?

I'm bored with the channel after the hours spent in CloD plodding around on the same old map. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing CloD altogether.

Boring.

IceFire, you know where I want to go next.

China.

It's never been properly done, and it deserves to be.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 01-27-2014, 02:18 AM
Approved Member

Malta is a very important area not yet represented. It's a small land-area and consequently will allow for a great variety of textures so that it won't get repetitive. I tend to prefer smaller maps with rich detail than large, generic ones.

I've been having a look at an existing map that Maraz originally made (the first ever map to be created when mods came out, I believe). There's a lot of potential for a brand new map if a team could be created. New objects would be a must though.

Last edited by Feathered_IV; 01-27-2014 at 02:24 AM.