Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 11-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
From what research I've done in the literature surrounding AI and AI programming, you're describing something that is still kind of a dream.
Currently "Artificial Intelligence" is still an oxymoron.

The good news is that air combat is a very limited sphere of activity, closely bound to the laws of physics, and further bound by historical doctrines and the limits of human physiology. With those limits in mind, AI can often be abstracted into decision trees and flow charts.

For example, currently damaged enemy bombers often behave "stupidly" when choosing whether the crew bails out or crash lands/ditches. A simple decision tree or flow chart could be used to make them behave in a much more realistic fashion. For example:

Can I hold altitude? N/Y > Am I over friendly territory? Y/N > Can I get to an airfield long enough to land the plane? Y/N > Is there open ground where I can crash land? Y/N > Can I reach any water within 300 m of land? Y/N? > Fly towards land > When within 300 m of land, turn parallel to the wind and ditch.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
you are pretending to be a (typically) 18-25 year old man, selected for his intelligence, athleticism, reflexes, distance vision, tracking ability, coolness under stress and physical fitness.
Don´t forget to mention that we are amazingly good looking as well!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
From what research I've done in the literature surrounding AI and AI programming, you're describing something that is still kind of a dream. We can program in specific behaviours and I'm sure an abstracted system might be developed to boil it down for the AI so they can make some artificially generated judgment calls - but to truly have the ability to size up their opponent and suss out a tactical plan based on that is still something only a human can do.

This is especially true if we try and factor in a fog of war scenario where you know your opponent's aircraft generally but maybe not all of his capabilities or weaknesses. Developing that knowledge organically is the stuff of neural network research and they have made great strides in that area but it's still just in its infancy I think.

A long time before we'll see a game AI with the abilities that we'd all like them to have. And by then... AI might be a little scary to behold. Just ask Elon Musk about what he thinks of that
Correct me if I'm wrong, but AI does not have to learn, it does just have to simulate learning. Ever played an RPG(pen 'n paper)? Then -did your virtual character ever learn anything? No, you just simulated that.

Now do the same for AI - and even a basic system would work IMHO. But that may be too complicated - I do not know if it is possible to program an AI with traits without having to write a new code for every small change in AI. Only then independent skill sets were possible.
As for the other thing, AI not beeing able to use speed advantage - either classify the planes as fast/slow - then a Bf109 will try to run from P-51 - which is okay for rookie/regular. Or give them a faster/equal/slower table, and let only ace know all, veteran and lower will get a table with more and randomly selected wrong entries. Make that table for turn and roll and climb too - and use the result to give the AI rules to follow.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Approved Member

BTW, does anyone know how radio communication is simulated in case of AI flights? I mean, do they inform and warn each other (>added up situational awarenes), and do they issue and obey orders (>combat cooperation)? Do they effectively use the same range of radio orders as we do?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperton View Post
BTW, does anyone know how radio communication is simulated in case of AI flights? I mean, do they inform and warn each other (>added up situational awarenes), and do they issue and obey orders (>combat cooperation)? Do they effectively use the same range of radio orders as we do?
I don't think that radio communication is modeled at all. In any case, it wouldn't make much difference, since AI doesn't seem to cooperate beyond the leader/wingman.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Approved Member

If the AI is fighting his war alone, then the AI is very much handicapped...

Perhaps the easiest way to improve AI performance would be to teach them to communicate.

Historically, radio made a huge a difference in RL. It would be great to have this difference in game.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
If the AI is fighting his war alone, then the AI is very much handicapped...
Yep.

To be fair to IL2 and DT, I don't think that there's a combat flight sim out there where AI uses intelligent section, flight or squadron tactics.

There's absolutely nothing like one flight going high to cover another flight going low to attack a foe, or two sections in a flight splitting up to "box" a single opponent.

Quote:
Perhaps the easiest way to improve AI performance would be to teach them to communicate.
Easier said than done. Without radio, signals can only be transmitted if you can see and understand gestures. That might be 50 meters, and only if you're at 2-4 o'clock or 8-10 o'clock level with respect to the signaling plane, and only if you're in clear visibility and are both traveling basically straight and level.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 11-13-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
There's absolutely nothing like one flight going high to cover another flight going low to attack a foe, or two sections in a flight splitting up to "box" a single opponent.
AI programming is a black box for me, but I guess there are basic tactic roles assigned to individual planes: lone wolf (fighting alone for his life), wingman (copying the wing leader and making opportunity attacks), wing leader (copying the flight leader, but acting independently when attacked), flight leader (responsible for flight attack tactics). But no matter how many flights are there, all flight leaders are on the same tactics. In other words, there are no distinctive tactics for 2 flights together, or 3 flights together. Or at least it seems so.

Quote:
Easier said than done.
Sure, and I have more questions than answers.

AI used to have mystic vision; now it cannot see through clouds and obstacles. It has been made more 'realistic'. Dunno whether this has been done to communication as well.
For AI does communicate. I hear him cry 'help me' and the like. I can mute him by unchecking the 'radio' checkbox in the FMB. Does it mute him only for me, or does it completely stop communication? If I switch off the radio for a whole squad, does it affect its combat performance? Or do they still rely on some mystic thought transmission?
Old 11-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Or do they still rely on some mystic thought transmission?

Umm, guys, the AI are part of the game's operating system (game engine).

They are part of the code. You need to stop anthropomorphizing them.

When you fight AI, you are fighting the game engine itself. It' does not have to send out radio calls, it already has all the info about everything going on in the game. It "knows" the position of every object, it's speed, altitude, if it is in it's or your gun convergence range, and if you have it in your sight picture. Ever wondered why the AI begin to maneuver just when you are about to pull the trigger? Think about it.

They key is how much info the developers take away from the AI programing to make it more "human", and how much they can take away before the AI becomes impossibly easy to deal with.

This is also why the AI always can out climb and out run you. You are fighting a computer controlled, fly by wire, WW2 aircraft that is always operated at it's best performance level and can adjust it's performance inputs at the speed of, well, a computer.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 11-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Approved Member

Thanks, ELAurens, it was exactly the info what I needed. And although I was anthropomorphizing it, with 'mystic thought transmission' I meant exactly that the computer AI seems to 'know' what it shouldn't know realistically. (E.g. the AI's backward vision is hindered by the fuselage, still it breaks the moment before I pull the trigger while attacking from lower dead six.)
But back to my question: suppressing radio communication for the AI, does it affect squad's performance?