Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 11-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Maybe more can be showing in Arcade for 4.13.
I'd appreciate it if a lot of test features remained enabled in 4.13, since it would allow users to better troubleshoot bugs.

Since AI now has to estimate deflection (and presumably speed and range), that gives me confidence that DT will be able to easily fix the remaining issues with AI gunnery.

Currently, even Ace AI planes aren't very good at correcting their aiming point, or holding their fire if they can't correct their aiming point to hit. For example, if you're being shot at while both you and your pursuer are in a tight turn, your opponent should realize that he's missing if he doesn't see hits on your plane after a couple of seconds and should try to pull more lead. But, if he can't pull more lead, then he should stop firing to conserve ammo.

For flexible gunnery, Ace AI should know to hold their fire until bogies get within 300-500 yards/meters. At any level of AI gunners should also have much more trouble with range and speed estimation, particularly when using hand-turned guns and/or iron sights.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Arcade mode ... doesn't give you info about hit percentages. If there's a game feature which allows you to see what the enemy's hit percentages are after each shot, I'd love to see it!
Concerning my own hit percentage statistics, I'd love to see the QMB feature extended to FMB missions too, perhaps in the form of an (optional) AAR report. QMB and FMB missions are basically the same, so technically it shouldn't be a major problem.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
In some ways, Rookie AI now best represents "average" pilots of most air forces who lacked the aggressiveness and skills to even shoot down one enemy aircraft (approximately 90% of U.S. fighter pilots, even in combat zones. Probably similar for other air forces).
Rookie AI is below that level in many aspects - their aiming and shooting is beyond useless. And maneuvering is at best okay. What I think could and should be corrcted is their awareness, its quite a rare ocassion shooting down one of them pursuing a friendly - they seem to know or guess where you are pretty good - an ability even a regular and if in a bigger furball even a veteran should not have. Over the years I have become a better pilot - but I still lack the SA to track more than a few planes - and as a rookie I could track one plane barely - which more often than not got me shot down.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Approved Member

I agree with and appreciate the various inputs and opinions re my inquiry, and want to state again, I think it is absolutely great that the AI are as deadly as they are in ACE mode. I would also re-emphasize that they do veer away if you stay steady and have them on dead center gun sight - I have fired a very brief burst on several occasions to deter them from continuing, a sort of warning shot if you will, and they most times veer away, again, a notable and welcome improvement from 4.10 and earlier. Of course, sometimes they take me out or we collide, no complaints here, my bad all the way!

The part I wrote about my plane veering down or away and the subsequent "magic bullets" is the aspect I mostly question. If you try this a few times in Invulnerable mode, and watch the tracers from the AI, you'll notice a pattern somewhat as if you spread your fingers of your hand as wide as possible, then altered the angle of various fingers upward and downward. Either those armament guys have performed some feat of field shop engineering, or that pilot has somehow acquired 'Jackie Chan' levels of mastery in dancing those tracers from each individual gun to cover an amazing spread up, down and sideways in a few seconds! It appears to me that the tracers are angled downward towards me while the AI aircraft is flying over me

Test this yourself and see if you find the same result; again, shells coming downward while the AI plane is in process of overflying me directly front above, and look for the 'W' spread of tracers, which of course should be parallel.

Not to worry, just thought to bring it to TD's attention, but I can live with it (adapt) either way.

p3
Old 11-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Approved Member

Would it be possible to see some shots of the Tobruk map that is coming? I'd really appreciate it!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Would it be possible to see some shots of the Tobruk map that is coming? I'd really appreciate it!
Tobruk map just a rename of the Lybia map (with small modifications) made by JV69_Bada, which kindly gave his permission to include his map in 4.13.... so I guess anyone using mods already had a glance at it.

cheers
Old 11-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugo3 View Post
Test this yourself and see if you find the same result; again, shells coming downward while the AI plane is in process of overflying me directly front above, and look for the 'W' spread of tracers, which of course should be parallel.
Would this be explained by the AI shooting at a distance way beyond convergence(say 600-800m)? So their bullets would drop quite a bit below their planes direction of travel, and thus come downwards to you -while AI passes overhead - and when fired from wing guns, bullet paths would cross in front of you and then angle outwards while passing you?

In general avoid head on attacks - with two exceptions:
-Bombers - you can hit the vulnerables (engines,crew) while spending very little time in the zone where defensive fire can easily hurt you. Against the better armed bombers this may be the easiest way to get good results, and one of the safest if you don't get target fixated and miss the pull out.
-Faster plane, not maneuverable, not good in the climb - against AI you may be out of other options, e.g. Bf110 vs AI Hurricane - and while it is still a bit of a crapshot game, you can get quite good at it - and its only a game so you can afford to get hit once in a while.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Approved Member

Default Realistic Rearming and Refueling

Peter Townsend (RAF squadron leader and ace in the Battle of Britain) writes in "Duel of Eagles" that it was possible for experienced aircraft fitters to completely refuel and rearm his Hurricane in about 5 minutes. Additionally, in this time, they could check the oil, replace the oxygen tanks and clean the windshield!

With that in mind, it doesn't seem unreasonable for IL2 to allow rearming and refueling, limited to just replenishing fuel and ammunition, only for single-engined aircraft, only in specially designated areas of certain airfields, only after at least 5 minutes of waiting with the engine off, and only if the airfield isn't damaged or under attack.

Repair, beyond doing things like fixing jammed guns, should still be impossible. Likewise, it shouldn't be possible to replenish external stores in such a brief period of time.

As for rates of replenishment, I'd conservatively suggest that fuel can be replaced at a rate of approximately 10 gallons per minute, and ammunition can be replenished at a rate of approximately 500 rounds per minute.

This is based 5 minutes "turnaround time" for rearming and refueling, 97 gallons of fuel and 2,640 bullets in a Hurricane Mk I, and the assumption that planes landed with approximately half-full fuel tanks but completely empty guns.

Unrealistically fast rearming, refueling and repair (RRR) could be added as a option for dogfight maps, using realistic RRR as a departure point.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Approved Member

"IL2 also doesn't model AI inferior to Rookie AI, at the "cannon fodder/ student/ unqualified" level, despite the fact that depending on the year and the air force, novice combat pilots might have had as little as 40 hours of total flight instruction, VFR only instrument rating, no gunnery practice, no meteorology or ground school training, limited target recognition skills and no flight time at all "in type". "

No need for TD to model that pilot, that's me.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfailure View Post
Rookie AI is below that level in many aspects - their aiming and shooting is beyond useless.
While we might be arguing about different aspects of the game and different interpretations of what counts as "rookie" AI, I think that you're incorrect about shooting accuracy.

If you doubt me, queue up a 4 v. 4 QMB mission between any type of fighter and with rookie AI on both sides. Put your plane on "autopilot" and watch the action.

You will notice that "rookie" pilots consistently close with their targets, try to maneuver onto their opponent's tail, hold fire until proper firing ranges, correctly compute simple deflection shots, and fire in 2-3 second bursts. All those traits are consistent with a very well-trained, highly aggressive pilot.

This means that a 4 vs. 4 rookie encounter usually results in complete destruction of one side, with at least one "rookie" pilot achieving multiple kills.

While that makes for a satisfying game experience, realistically that level of aggression and shooting skill is VERY rare, and is consistent with what one would expect from an Ace (or future ace) pilot. Historically, most pilots (i.e., anyone other than Veteran or Ace pilots) were absolutely terrible at ranging and deflection shooting, especially when shooting at distant targets or at high deflection angles.

Quote:
And maneuvering is at best okay.
Here I agree. The current AI is pretty good about making rookie AI maneuvering a bit clumsy, prone to losing energy, and a bit vulnerable to stalls and spins. I think it's about right for a well-trained "rookie" pilot, but perhaps too generous for a "cannon fodder" pilot.

Quote:
What I think could and should be corrcted is their awareness
I also agree here. "Situational Awareness" is the hardest factor to master, and has been proposed as the "Ace Factor" which separates ace pilots from the others. AI in IL2 is still far too good in allowing pilots to track and respond to multiple threats, especially for aircraft they can't see.

One of the common things that combat pilots recall about their first mission is their almost total lack of SA. They are entirely focused on following their leader or staying in formation, and fail to see other aircraft, even at close range. In combat, they also describe aircraft as popping up and vanishing from sight, which implies total lack of tracking ability.

The stress of combat also commonly causes tunnel vision. For this reason, many rookie pilots fail to realize that they're under attack until their plane is hit.

Finally, rookies, especially "cannon fodder" pilots below the level that rookie currently models should panic under stress. For example, when suddenly attacked, they might break so hard that they send their plane into a stall. Or, if their plane is damaged, they might bail out rather than trying to nurse the plane home.

For those reasons, I think that rookies, even well-trained rookies, should have the following traits:

1) No spotting ability beyond what they can see through their windscreen at 500 meters or less.

2) Limited peripheral vision. It should take them a few seconds to notice even close targets outside the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock level area. It should also take them a few seconds to realize that they're being shot at.

3) Very limited spotting ability for targets beyond 500 meters.

4) Very poor aircraft recognition in combat. Unless they can clearly see national markings (i.e., from the side, above or below at about 100 meters or less) rookies should regularly mistake friend for foe and vice-versa.

5) No Situational Awareness - if a rookie pilot can't see it, they can't respond to it. While they can still maneuver to try to keep a target in their sight, they automatically lose track of any target they can't see.

6) Chance of panicking when damaged or under close attack. Panicking while damaged typically means bailing out. Panicking while under attack might mean a hard turn that results in a stall or excessive energy loss, or a straight-line dive that sets the rookie up for an easy shot and makes them lose position. For badly disadvantaged rookies over friendly territory, they might just bail out! (This was a not uncommon tactic for German pilots during 44-45)

7) Even worse gunnery skills. A high chance of opening fire at extreme ranges. Very poor deflection shooting, even for relatively low deflection shots. Tendency to fire long bursts that waste ammo.

Average or Veteran pilots should have better ability to spot and identify incoming threats, very good ability to identify friendly or enemy aircraft, and far less tendency to panic, but very limited SA. That is, they should have very little ability to guess where even a single hidden but previously "acquired" enemy is relative to their own plane as it maneuvers, and very limited ability to guess at a maneuvering plane's energy state or likely next move. Average pilots should be able to follow one hidden target, veterans 2-3. Aces should have the ability to track 4 or more different targets.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 11-04-2014 at 07:42 PM.