Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromx View Post
@Shrike_UK

I agree with you, I think the thought crosses a lot of peoples minds.

Valve has said they will release a patch that will allow these games to run without the service should they ever go bankrupt or whatever. I'm not positive if they will or not, but if they didn't the community would most likely fix that pretty quick.

I used to play a game called Interstate '76 back in the late 90's (great game) and Activision has long since shut down the multiplayer servers. This was over a decade ago and had nothing to do with digital distribution. There are many similar stories for other games out there as well. Luckily there are talented people out there that make other things possible.

Even if Valve does go out of business, the steam program doesn't magically disappear from your computer. And since steam works perfectly fine without a net connection, you can still launch your games normally.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 AM
Approved Member

True, but there are games that use Steam for multiplayer service. If Steam dies, so do the servers. Though there aren't many things in life that get an honest life time guarantee . My old 3 1/4 inch floppies don't work anymore lol. Looks like I won't be loading up Wolfenstein shareware anytime soon .

Back on topic though, I'm really liking the new patch changes. If they smooth out the frames over land I'll have very few stutter moments left. I've got 20+ planes dogfighting over the channel which is more than enough for me right now as I get used to the new flight models.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 AM
Approved Member

There is no chance of steam going broke - they are filthy rich and make more each day than most of us do in a lifetime.