Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPappy View Post
Yea.. it's weird. I'd fly with aviator if they had target zoom as triangle or something. Then square could be brakes, since neither button is used for some reason...

Hopefully that could be fixed in the update.

Anyway, tried my first couple of missions today. Exhilirating. But it's SO difficult to find enemies in the first place. I don't have an HD tv so when I look for 109's I notice the yellow wingtips first. As soon as I start encountering later 109s, it will be damn difficult to spot them until I'm close.

I use the map a lot but it will only give you a general feeling.

How do you all spot e/a ( enemy aircraft )? I suppose it just takes 'practise'
I have an hdtv and it's still not easy, but I like how you have to ID them by closing on them, I think it's realistic. Besides studying the shapes of the planes, some other clues for ID'ing a plane are how it's flying. How fast is it going, how tight are its turns, does it go vertical or stay more flat, stuff like that.

When you get to the later missions, you can't control your plane while you look at the map, I think it's to wean you off of using it. That is better for online, because there is some serious lag in the map in online fights, if the map shows your opponent on your 9, they might really be on your 6. Also the map never shows if they're high or low, so it's best to look.

Aviator layout is best for that currently. Not having a target camera isn't all that bad, the worst part is the rudder is freaking useless if you're using a fighter. They should have made L2 and R2 the rudder so it could be analog, and make L1 and R1 into "throttle up" and "throttle down" buttons instead. Having to hold the throttle at an exact level is pretty stupid. Also R2 and L2 make sense for being the rudder; they're like pedals, and they're at the bottom.

oh btw triangle is for bombs, and square is for missiles. Also X remains the trim button. Also sometimes if you hit start to bring up the map, you'll need to hit select to get to options.

Last edited by kozzm0; 10-31-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Approved Member

Thanks. It's a good thing for me that I know what planes look like. I think flying a Spitfire makes it easier for me because all my wingmen have nice, elliptical wings, makingit that much easier to ID e/a.

I 100% agree on the controller setup. The fact that the rudder buttons are configured for full deflection and the fact that throttle has to be held is indeed pretty dumb.

If they fix that in the next patch (which I doubt) then I'd use the aviator layout for sure.

All that being said, I've had a blast on the first 7 missions I've played. 'Hornet's Nest' was not as hard as expected, though I initially got shot down by the swarm of 109's encountered after all Ju52's are destroyed. Shooting down the transports was fun though; I managed t fire off a single pair of rockets, blasting both Tantes to bits.

I finally got to the Siciliy missions, flying a Spitfire IX. For some reason though, my engine randomly shut off near the end of the mission. After destroying the ack batteries near the shoreline, I encountered several Macchis and Messerschmitts. On the tail of one of them, my engine simply quit, and I couldn't figure out why. I restarted the mission and it happened again. I wasn't using WEP, but I my engine did receive minor damage. Do the engines just quit after running for too long on damage? It's never happened in any other plane except for my Spitfire IX.

Last edited by SgtPappy; 11-01-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Approved Member

ATTENTION ALL PS3 SIM PLAYERS

please check out my thread

"edal86's $10 reward challenge" (it will actually be a $20 reward challenge)

Only Sim (PS3) players qualify
Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPappy View Post
Do the engines just quit after running for too long on damage? It's never happened in any other plane except for my Spitfire IX.
yes, usually. It's a simplified model in most of the mechanical areas. If the engine is any darker than faint pink, it's running on borrowed time. I think it lasts longer if you use the lowest RPM possible though, besides not using WEP.

so unless you've got multiple attempts, the engine is the worst place to get hit. If you avoid head-on attacks vs fighters or tail attacks vs bombers you can protect your engine to a degree. If you can get used to aviator layout, you can see when your opponent is about to shoot, and break or jink to avoid it.

<<<<>>>>

edal the rules for your challenge match would be a good honor system type of thing for making limited ammo work in general, if and until MP is fixed. In dogfight mode, if a player is winchester then they shouldn't be allowed to crash unless they can successfully disengage. Something like, be out of range for maybe 1 or 2 minutes, then a crash would be allowed and of course opponent would be allowed to crash too for fairness. If both players run out of ammo then both respawn.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Approved Member

Ah I see. Perfect. Alright, thanks. I'll be more careful, and I'm hoping to use aviator mode soon.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Default I'll give it a go

I'll try sim. My psn ID is Tentacle19. All this time and I didn't notice this sticky.Jeesh!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

Haha, you rpobably won't have a hard time spotting me, though.

I'll be the guy in your gunsight
Old 11-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

For everyone who's used this thread to add opponents, another thing that works is to just go the leaderboards, see who's active and try adding them. The more active they are, the more likely they'll be glad to have a new opponent. Also you can see anyone's language from their profile. I can get opponents pretty much all the time... you just have to have enough people added
Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Approved Member

I could always use more practise,add AcesDice.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghillied raptor View Post
I could always use more practise,add AcesDice.
it was fun flying with you tonight!