Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viikate View Post
Remember how the original IL-2 development shots looked like?

http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/jan99/IL-2.htm
http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/jan99/IL-2b.htm

Totally different than the actual release
Correct!
And we all know that everything is still WiP and we just add our point of view, based on what we see.

We are all sure that final release won't fail us. We trust in Oleg & Co!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Hey everybody, greetings from sunny jetlagged California!

Our tracers are perfect. End of discussion.

We can finetune thickness - color - transparency - luminosity, but in theory ours are the most perfect true to life tracers ever modeled anywhere. Tracers in real life look like that, like straight dashes of uniform thickness. There's a spot at the tail end of a bullet that emits plasma. It doesn't fade out towards the end. It doesn't get thinner. It doesn't wiggle. Sperm-style tracers you're used to from other video games are Hollywood.

We have that emitter that draws out a line of specific length based on tracer speed and "exposure". The tracer shots you see were not taken in pause, because in pause our tracer turns into a dot - those mysterious white dots in the first shot are stopped tracers in pause.

Our fire and smoke are extremely WIP. Everyone hates them here even more than you guys hate them. Calm down and trust us a little bit.

Finally, the surprise from last week is failing to materialize. We were going to release some PSDs to give the skin makers an early start, and maybe even team up with you guys to make some historical skins or something. But we hit a little snag because, as it turns out, you can't very well make skins with just a PSD, and we can't very well release our plane models with the skins. We need to figure this out, hopefully very soon.

Great to read this Ilya (especially the part about fire and smoke )!

With regards to the skins, I guess that there's no hurry, since you'll see thousands of skins coming the moment people will be able to model them through the game (some beta or even the final release).
No need to worry about this
Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
The very best mission builder tools of any WW2 combat sims, the CFS2 and Jane's ww2 FIGHTERS.

Even today the CFS2 has the best mission builder.

I am hoping BOB SOW could very well take us into a new era of mission builders. Two very most important tools for Offline users are the mission builder and high standards of AI performance.

I agree totally about the builder tool's in those sims, It's very important to get it right in SOW...I can't wait to see what we got, I'm sure that we will pleased

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Approved Member

Oleg, Ilya, thanks for the updates!

Hope Oleg is resting up so he can travel to U.K. to show SoW here:
http://www.flightsimulatorshow.com/

!!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Approved Member

now that would be the place to show off SOW ...and im going too .
Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

Wow guys- the damage modelling is looking brilliant. The internal structure of the Hurricane is shown in exquisite detail- i'm very keen to see what effect such damage has on the flying characteristics. I assume it will be critical to keep the airspeed down to decrease the risk of more canvas peeling off and control cables gradually being stretched to breaking point?
These graphics are already so far ahead of Il2- the potential for future development looks extraordinary.
One question about the fires- i realise they are WIP, but will they be true light objects, able to cast highlights on objects and create shadows?
I am imagining being able to create evening/low light scenes with dramatic lighting effects being created by a burning plane and the flames illuminating the pilot and other objects around them.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
Right words.
Hey! Quit looking at the forum and get the hell back to vacation! (that way you can get the hell back to work) and have fun! That's an order soldier!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark@1C View Post
A question, who can tell me please what are those four shining spots in the first picture?
Reflected light from He-111? Then from the body or the canopy?
I feel a little odd, I mean if it came from the body, the shining spots should be bigger than that have been shown, shouldn't they? Or if it came from the canopy, then where are their bodies? Vanished in the blue sky, because of their camouflage? Or they are just navigation lights? In a daytime in a white colour?
Those four shining spots really look a little odd for me at such a distance in the picture, just like four UFOs...
yeah it's hard to tell if it's tracers in the distance (evenly spaced) or glints off aircraft. I don't think all three planes would glint at the same time so maybe it's tracers.

It'd be cool if you could see occasional glints from distant aircraft if you happen to be looking in the right direction. IRL unless your eye is focused at correct distance air craft in the air are hard to spot. Glints would help greatly in this regard. I'd like it to be an occasional glint rather than a constant glow as in the screenshot though.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOA_Potenz View Post
Thanks for say that you make my day.
Yet you write that after you wrote the post above it.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Hey everybody, greetings from sunny jetlagged California!

Our tracers are perfect. End of discussion.

We can finetune thickness - color - transparency - luminosity, but in theory ours are the most perfect true to life tracers ever modeled anywhere. Tracers in real life look like that, like straight dashes of uniform thickness. There's a spot at the tail end of a bullet that emits plasma. It doesn't fade out towards the end. It doesn't get thinner. It doesn't wiggle. Sperm-style tracers you're used to from other video games are Hollywood.

We have that emitter that draws out a line of specific length based on tracer speed and "exposure". The tracer shots you see were not taken in pause, because in pause our tracer turns into a dot - those mysterious white dots in the first shot are stopped tracers in pause.

This is the greatest thing I have heard in some time.
Will this sort of "motion blur" be used for other objects as well.
I was always wondering if BoB would have bullets frozen in mid flight during a pause.
You guys are right on top of it