Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 10-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Approved Member

Shadow meshes are always lower quality.

Flares are small, so a 10-sided shape will still look good, especially with smoothing applied.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
I appreciate your work on Soviet loadouts as they are quite low on my priority list due to limited resources I could gather on them.

Though I have two questions.

1. Was it ten sided in real life?

2. Why do you use a lower tri model for the shadow mesh? That is like using no shadow mesh at all, IMO, total immersion killer.
certainly not 10 sided in real life ... but is enough for il2 bomb ... that model with all details some over 280 poly already ... close to limit ...

shadow for lod0 is lod01 but painted in black ...
shadow for lod01 is lod02 painted in black to ...
you cannot see shadow from falling bombs closely ... when it falls down .. its goes too fast ... only in slowMo you can watch more detailed and its really immersion killer
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
certainly not 10 sided in real life ... but is enough for il2 bomb ... that model with all details some over 280 poly already ... close to limit ...

shadow for lod0 is lod01 but painted in black ...
shadow for lod01 is lod02 painted in black to ...
you cannot see shadow from falling bombs closely ... when it falls down .. its goes too fast ... only in slowMo you can watch more detailed and its really immersion killer
I certainly did not expect it to have that many tris with just ten sides.

With regards to the shadows, I obviously meant the shadows that can be seen while the bombs are attached and the plane is on the ground.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Approved Member

tail parh have many detail ...
double sided stabilizer ... and other small things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1 copy.jpg (165.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
tail parh have many detail ...
double sided stabilizer ... and other small things
Ah, I see. Thanks for the extra info
Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 AM
Approved Member

you are welcome)
Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 AM
Approved Member

Originally bombs and other ordnance didn't use shadow models at all. They were introduced for ordnance by DT. For a small bombs shadows are definitely not necessary, as they hardly will be ever noticed by player.

Shadow model usually is built from LOD+1 or LOD+2 model. All cavities on the shadow model should be covered with polygons, all internal parts removed.
Shadow model doesn't require any texture, therefore, alpha channel can not be used on shadow models. The material name for it should start with word "shadow". For example, you may have 2 materials: "shadow1" for 1-sided shadow parts and "shadow2" for 2-sided parts. Obviously, the 2-sided shadow should be used only on 0-thickness parts. On ground object shadow models all polygons, which are parallel to the ground and facing towards it, should be removed (as they won't be ever visible).
Building models do not require shadow models. They are generated automatically from building LODs by export tools.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juri_JS View Post
Would it be possible to add German and Japanese air-to-air bombs to the game, that were used against Allied bomber formations or is this beyond the scope of the project?
I guess doing the models and textures shouldn't be a problem, but it would also require new effects and changes to the AI.
Air to air bombs used by the germans were actually standard AB250 used by some enthusiast pilots. It was not an especific weapon.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Air to air bombs used by the germans were actually standard AB250 used by some enthusiast pilots. It was not an especific weapon.
That's correct. The Japanese had special air to air bombs, but the Germans used standard bombs with a timed fuze, that were dropped from around 1000 m above a bomber formation. So no new 3D model would be necessary for the German bombs, only a change to the AI by Team Daidalos and maybe some new explosion effects.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Approved Member

Adding a 37mm explosion effect instead would be reasonable, I think. That way, no new effects would have be created.