Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 02:27 AM
Approved Member

Red face storm of war will be like...

wish storm of war will be like, or most better birds of prey

http://e3.gamespot.com/image_viewer/..._below;thumb;1

Old 06-13-2009, 04:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkandrachoff View Post
wish storm of war will be like, or most better birds of prey

http://e3.gamespot.com/image_viewer/..._below;thumb;1

I'm very impressed with the terrain shots in IL-2 BOP. They are by far the best I've seen in any flight sim, but I believe SOW will be even better. I'm also interested in seeing how the BOP terrain looks at 100M.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Tree_UK

The Bop terrain looks very very much like the SOW terrain that Oleg ditched and restarted in 2007. So it should be a whole lot better.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Approved Member

Very impressing screenshots!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
I'm very impressed with the terrain shots in IL-2 BOP. They are by far the best I've seen in any flight sim, but I believe SOW will be even better. I'm also interested in seeing how the BOP terrain looks at 100M.
I'm just stating opinion here...But I'll bet that when Oleg starts posting "in-game" screen shots we are all going to be quite pleased with what we see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
The Bop terrain looks very very much like the SOW terrain that Oleg ditched and restarted in 2007. So it should be a whole lot better.
I have thought that perhaps this was a reason why Oleg was keeping the "in-game" "up-dates" under wraps...it did seem that some of the game/map moders where "influenced" by the new "SoW BoB" look. Didn't someone use one of the map tiles that Oleg posted? Ball-zay...

Anyway... A QUESTION for Oleg...Hello!

I'm really curious about the distance at which detail will be visible? How will this be handled? How are you going to deal with the issue of buildings "popping into view"? How far are we going to be able to see details? This is a real immersion issue with me...Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post

Anyway... A QUESTION for Oleg...Hello!

I'm really curious about the distance at which detail will be visible? How will this be handled? How are you going to deal with the issue of buildings "popping into view"? How far are we going to be able to see details? This is a real immersion issue with me...Thanks!
+1
Also clouds popping into view as well, another IL2 trait I hope SOW will end for good
Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Approved Member

Will the BOB have a more realistic engine modeling.

A present in 1946 i can run the engine Maximum power and RPM all day as long as i cool it when it over heats i will not have a problem. During the battle of britain both the spitfire and hurries only would last about 2 minutes and emergany war power and had wire across the throttle control that the pilot had to brake to engage EWP.In the years during ww2 the engine were very fragile and prone to braking down and had to be managed and it not a lot they have to do is but it would be good to know that if i don't lower the engine RPM and boost going to the battle and leaving the battle.

Will the early spitfires and hurries have the de havilland two speed prop pitch instead on the rotol constant speed propellers.

And will there be a engine run to were you have to test for propllers that run away and other test to make sure every is running ok and also the be about to switch the constant speed propeller off when they do loss control or get damaged.

With IL2 the time a engine can run when over heat has been modeled in as a preset time no mater how hard i run the engine or the height and weather condition. Will this be variable depending on the condition and make were if you don't check gauges you will damage the engines.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppie View Post

A present in 1946 i can run the engine Maximum power and RPM all day as long as i cool it when it over heats i will not have a problem. During the battle of britain both the spitfire and hurries only would last about 2 minutes and emergany war power and had wire across the throttle control that the pilot had to brake to engage EWP.In the years during ww2 the engine were very fragile and prone to braking down and had to be managed and it not a lot they have to do is but it would be good to know that if i don't lower the engine RPM and boost going to the battle and leaving the battle.

Will the early spitfires and hurries have the de havilland two speed prop pitch instead on the rotol constant speed propellers.

And will there be a engine run to were you have to test for propllers that run away and other test to make sure every is running ok and also the be about to switch the constant speed propeller off when they do loss control or get damaged.

With IL2 the time a engine can run when over heat has been modelled in as a preset time no mater how hard i run the engine or the height and weather condition. Will this be variable depending on the condition and make were if you don't check gauges you will damage the engines.
+1

IL2 has some degree of engine damage due to overheat probably dependant on aircraft and map type.

Take a TB3 on the Kalkin Gol Map, set all realism switches on, 25 % fuel 28 x100 fabs climb to 500m, , make a target for yourself to attack say 4-5 grids there and back (not too far).

You cant run over 59% power if you overheat whilst climbing, your engines will degrade so much you wont make it back to base, they need constant management to avoid damaging them even firing the extinguishers to cool them helps

Now whether this is a feature or a bug in the maps ambient temperature I'm not sure but it shows IL2 has overheat modelled to engine damage in varying degrees.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 06-16-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppie View Post

With IL2 the time a engine can run when over heat has been modeled in as a preset time no mater how hard i run the engine or the height and weather condition. Will this be variable depending on the condition and make were if you don't check gauges you will damage the engines.
Engine abuse and the resulting engine life is an extremely variable thing. It doesn't have set rules like over heat for 2 minutes and the engine will stop.

I was fortunate enough to experience a party a long time ago in Australia's Northern Territory. As part of the 'Entertainment' some of the locals had a old GM Holden red motor (186ci straight 6) set up on a stand without a raidiator. They drained the oil from the crank case, fired her up and jamed the throttle wide open, and then everyone stood back and drank Bundie Rum and and made bets on how long the motor would last.

The problem was the engine just wouldn't stop. It just kept on going and going until some one poured a hand full of sand in the oil filler. Even then it took another 3-4 minutes to finally die!

Now is every Holden Red motor going to put up with that kind of abuse? No! Definately not.

In a flight sim having extremely restrictive over heating/engine damage model is just as inaccurate as an overly forgiving engine damage model.

Also one of the reasons they had the wire was to inform the ground crew that the engine had been run at combat power level. So that they could check for damage. It wasn't a given that the engine would be damaged.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Approved Member

A good and realistic compromise would be to go by what was standard operating procedure, as this was usually decided by the test crews who would stress the engine to its limits so that the pilot wouldn't have nasty surprises in battle.

For example, i've flown the Spitfire add-on for MS FSX in a friend's PC. We have spitfires running around with throttles wide open in IL2, but in reality the maximum continuous boost allowed was +8lbs. You could exceed that but you had to keep an eye on the temperature gauges and then let it cool down, which adds another very important dimension to air combat...making sure your motor is cool before the fight so you can abuse it for a couple of minutes. This would also end the unrealistic continuous furballing, because people would have to disengage to cool their engines every now and then.

Another thing is that just because the throttle lever has a certain amount of travel, you don't need to jam it wide open to take off. Manifold pressure is a function of external air pressure, you need less throttle to achieve a certain power setting at low altitude than you would need when you go up at altitude. For example, in the Spitfire add on i talked about you only needed to move the throttle about 60-70% of the way in to achieve take off power, maybe even less, because there's enough outside air pressure to give you the manifold pressure you need.

This would also have a very good side effect of balancing the sides in a realistic manner. The allies had better performing or easier to control aircraft, but most of them had manual engine systems. The axis on the other hand had aircraft that might be less maneuverable than a spitfire and slower than a P47 at altitude, but the pilots usually didn't have to touch anything apart from the throttle.

What we have now in IL2 is exactly the opposite of what happened in reality, FW190 pilots using manual pitch to get what was the historical performance of their rides on automatic settings, while P47s cruise around on WEP and 100% pitch while in reality they had to monitor manifold pressure, RPM, intercoolers, radiators and turbo-supercharger speeds. I'm not complaining for what is an inherent disadvantage of a 10 year old engine that never the less scaled really well to more modern PCs along the years, but i would like to see it changed in BoB:SoW. It would be cool to fly by the engine instruments instead of the % pop up messages that appear when moving the throttle
Closed Thread