Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
Why not? As for 'hacks' etc, unless you are playing on a 'mods allowed' server (and there aren't many of those), frankly, I've seen no evidence of any. And yes, the 'Flying Circus' server is sometimes a bit of a shooting-gallery. Try 'New Wings' instead. And once you are confident, try the 'Syndicate' server - no icons, complex engine management, no external views etc.
Sure the two servers are great. Just not so populated. I've had couple of really nice fights on the Syndicate server and didn't see any hard to believe performances. If only the server had more players online when i play.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
Try the nubie server. Maybe there, if you are lucky, you'll find players of similar skill as you.
ROF planes have a rather hard flight model and you need good understanding of the dynamics of flight, patience and a lot of practice to be effective.
If you are new, being respectful and asking for advice, is a lo more productive than screaming "cheater".
Thanks. I'm not screaming "cheater". Just asking about your opinions. Maybe there are virtual pilots who can fly / aim so well.
Actually you have said exactly what i think. ROF planes are hard to fly. No trim controls and lift changes with speed enormously. Rotary engines make aiming even more difficult. Limited visibility upwards doesn't make turn fights easier either. Vertical maneuvers are hard to conduct. The planes bleed speed fast and stall or disintegrate in deep dives.
I tend to fly as an energy fighter and use altitude as defense. And it works well on the Syndicate server and different aircraft behave as i would expect based on their performance graphs and description of their strength. But it doesn't work on the Flying Circus server.
OK maybe i need to get more experience. I'm not giving up.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Approved Member

oh yea here's a screen of the game before they post-process and photoshop it all up
Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
Thanks. I'm not screaming "cheater". Just asking about your opinions. Maybe there are virtual pilots who can fly / aim so well.
Actually you have said exactly what i think. ROF planes are hard to fly. No trim controls and lift changes with speed enormously. Rotary engines make aiming even more difficult. Limited visibility upwards doesn't make turn fights easier either. Vertical maneuvers are hard to conduct. The planes bleed speed fast and stall or disintegrate in deep dives.
I tend to fly as an energy fighter and use altitude as defense. And it works well on the Syndicate server and different aircraft behave as i would expect based on their performance graphs and description of their strength. But it doesn't work on the Flying Circus server.
OK maybe i need to get more experience. I'm not giving up.
The thing is, some of those guys plyed that game for two years. With constant practice, some became very effective. Another thing about ww1 planes is that are so slow. Even if you are faster, the difference is small and it takes a long time to get out of gun range. The long range accuracy of the guns in ROF is quite optimistic, so with the help of zoom, some people are snipers. Those planes also have a very low stall speed, so they can hang in the prop to shoot at someone above longer than what we are used in a ww2 plane.
On top of all this, the server settings can make the difference between a nice air combat environment and the usual airquake. With icons on and head shake off in the server settings, it's easy for some to hit planes from impossible angles.
I hope this helps you a bit.
EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.
8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Seagate 750GB HDD
CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45
Win7 64bit
Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Tenn View Post
oh yea here's a screen of the game before they post-process and photoshop it all up
You shouldn't say that.
At least AA is working great in ROF...and so is everything else
Old 04-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Approved Member

I love RoF aswell! It got beautyful modded planes and the FM is as convincing as the Il-2 FM. For me the most important part in Flightsims. I hate the FMs in the microsoft simulators, they make you feel more like sitting in a rollercoaster as in a plane.
The landscape is mor authentic in CoD but in RoF it`s different, but also more than ok! Big advantage in RoF: It runs like hell-absolute fluid! And of course no "ghost-trees".

For me Cod is the winner, because i love adjusting and "pressing buttons". Therefor is the WWII aviation the bigger playground for me. But that says nothing about the quality of RoF!
For a fast and highly entertaining dogfight I always go for RoF-so to say, a must-buy! Especially when you`re a fan of flightsims!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Approved Member

I've decided to give Rise of Flight a try as well. I'm still committed to Cliffs of Dover, but after trying the free demo of Rise of Flight I'm very impressed!
Pilot #1 (9:40 hours flying time, 3/0/1 Fighters, 7/2/0 Bombers). RIP

No.401 Squadron Forum

Using ReconNZ's Pilot Log Book
Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw_wolverine View Post
I've decided to give Rise of Flight a try as well. I'm still committed to Cliffs of Dover, but after trying the free demo of Rise of Flight I'm very impressed!
You've picked the right time to be impressed too - sale now on (until 12th May): http://riseofflight.com/en/store

The scouts are currently $2.99 each, which has to be a bargain. Even this monster is only $6.99:

That was the result of a brazen attack on the Hun forward airfield on the Syndicate server on Saturday. I got there all right, dropped my 1,650-pounder right in front of the hangers, then scarpered back over the lines, pursued by Albatrosses and Pfalz's. A mad power dive for Reims (where I knew there was plenty of AA) was only partly successful, as can be seen. I got out of it alive though...
Head tracking: TrackIR 5. Sore neck: See previous.

Last edited by AndyJWest; 05-08-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: bomb weight out by a factor of 1000...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince View Post
The landscape is mor authentic in CoD but in RoF it`s different, but also more than ok!
I beg to differ. I live in the region where RoF takes place, and I've already flown (in real life that is) several times over it, during different seasons. And RoF has a beautiful landscape, that really looks like the landscape I can look at with my own eyes when in flight. CoD, from what I've seen when playin' the game over le France, has poor textures and "weird" colors... Unless the landscape turns into something completely different when flying to the North and beyond the Hill...oops I'm losing my mind. But you get my point.

RoF is really the best a sim can currently offer when it comes to "authenticity".
It's still a game, of course.

And I'm not even a RoF fanboy, in fact I find the game boring. But I'm aware of its qualities, and the landscape is one of them.

Ok, back to 1946!

Last edited by bugmenot; 05-07-2012 at 11:01 PM.