Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 05-17-2016, 11:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Some maps aren't on a 1:1 scale.
The best work around I could find was reducing fuel acordingly.
It generated that virtual pilots started caring a lot more when suffering fuel losses
I know that. But that's not my issue. It's flight time and flight distance.
On some maps, to 1:1 scale or not, flight distances/times from one end of the map to the other is to short.
Especially for scrambleing to intercept bombers. It's just impossible to take off and reach altitude to attack the incomming enemy before the enemy has arrived, dropped their load, and gone. Kyushu is one such map.

I want bigger maps to have greater distances to fly and greater areas to roam.

The Murmansk map for instance barely has water enough to be able to make proper anti-shipping patrol missions.

I know many players just want to jump straight into the action. But they can do that on bigger maps aswell by just placing the mission start and target closer together.
But for us who like to fly longer distances for a more realistic feel before reaching the target, bigger maps is needed. And to me the maps with water along one or more of it's borders, or in the middle like the Norway map, would be the best ones to make bigger by simply extending the sea areas.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdun1916 View Post
On some maps, to 1:1 scale or not, flight distances/times from one end of the map to the other is to short.
Especially for scrambleing to intercept bombers. It's just impossible to take off and reach altitude to attack the incomming enemy before the enemy has arrived, dropped their load, and gone. Kyushu is one such map.

I want bigger maps to have greater distances to fly and greater areas to roam.

The Murmansk map for instance barely has water enough to be able to make proper anti-shipping patrol missions.

I know many players just want to jump straight into the action. But they can do that on bigger maps aswell by just placing the mission start and target closer together.
But for us who like to fly longer distances for a more realistic feel before reaching the target, bigger maps is needed. And to me the maps with water along one or more of it's borders, or in the middle like the Norway map, would be the best ones to make bigger by simply extending the sea areas.
You having this problem with QM, or DGEN?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:11 PM
What the heck...?

Quote:
You having this problem with QM, or DGEN?
What does it have to do with QM or DGen?

He's talking about a map design issue, lol.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
What does it have to do with QM or DGen?

He's talking about a map design issue, lol.
It is not an issue. It is a design compromise.

The original game was designed on a local scenery, tactical situation. Never for a strategic one. Maps were reduced acordingly, specially because of heir impact on 2001 machines.

Later versions inherited this. To change this you need to build the map as you like it, and ask TD to validate it.

Or... you may try some workaround solutions.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The original game was designed on a local scenery, tactical situation. Never for a strategic one. Maps were reduced acordingly, specially because of heir impact on 2001 machines.
Expanding existing maps isn't as easy as it sounds, even if you're just adding "blank" sea areas. I've looked into it and it's almost easier to create a new map of the same territory.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdun1916 View Post
Especially for scrambleing to intercept bombers. It's just impossible to take off and reach altitude to attack the incomming enemy before the enemy has arrived, dropped their load, and gone. Kyushu is one such map
Don't know if it works on the Kyushu map, assigning coordinates far off the map to a flight that should arrive late(er) as starting point, at least on the Med map it works well enough to get an extra ~ 10 minutes to scramble and intercept
Old 05-22-2016, 02:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfailure View Post
Don't know if it works on the Kyushu map, assigning coordinates far off the map to a flight that should arrive late(er) as starting point, at least on the Med map it works well enough to get an extra ~ 10 minutes to scramble and intercept
This is the kind of workaround solutions I was talking about.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Expanding existing maps isn't as easy as it sounds, even if you're just adding "blank" sea areas. I've looked into it and it's almost easier to create a new map of the same territory.
I know, that is why is easyer to apply some workarond solutions.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfailure View Post
If you're just using AI bombers, it's also possible to have bombers spawn when players reach a certain waypoint, or to have AI bombers follow a less direct route to allow players time to reach altitude.

But, historically, Japanese early warning systems weren't that great. It might have been possible for B-29 formations to hit targets in Southern Kyushu and escape before the Japanese could react. Not very fun for Japanese players, though.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Expanding map boundaries or cropping existing maps is fairly easy, as long as you have access to the required map tools. Adding land areas is obviousliy a different matter if it involves extensive re-population.