Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
Actually, if you're thinking of giving us some nice stuff in the box how about getting some SoW BoB pilots wings made up ?
That's not a bad idea.

Of course there would have to be a strict rule that you wouldn't be allowed to wear them until you had completed the Tiger Moth training missions. LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Approved Member

Crappy phone camera, so my shots aren't as nice as RedToo's but I can concur about the linen thread backing.

Thought I'd post this shot as it's where all the screen shots have been taken

Map is printed on heavy paper reinforced with linen thread.

Here is a worn area in the fold showing the thread.

Until the boxed version arrives guess which map I'll be using personally...

The large red dots are airfields, the small red dots along the coast and in villages are balloon sites.

Last edited by jocko417; 10-25-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Approved Member

Nice work, guys, but it looks to me like Elvis left the building in page 2.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Approved Member

...and said under Elvis' breath while leaving said building...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Thanks everyone for your help, but I still need more help with this. <snip> We just don't know what to print it on, and how to print it.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Approved Member

I have to agree to that OT about the gimmick in the box.
Maybe one could choose the box with german or english or
even french, polish or italian pilots wings, the german ones
maybe with a Balkenkreuz instead the swastika.
I would love it
Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Approved Member

It seems that the 1938 RAF maps were printed on plain paper as well as linen backed. I have just purchased another of these maps (north west England) from eBay and it doesn't have the linen backing. Identical in all other respects. Makes sense really - two versions at different prices. So a modern copy of the BoB map on good quality paper without the linen backing would still be authentic.

RedToo.

43 Squadron.

My 'Waiting for Clodo' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedToo View Post
It seems that the 1938 RAF maps were printed on plain paper as well as linen backed. I have just purchased another of these maps (north west England) from eBay and it doesn't have the linen backing.
Maybe you were mugged?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko417 View Post

Here is a worn area in the fold showing the thread.

Until the boxed version arrives guess which map I'll be using personally...

The large red dots are airfields, the small red dots along the coast and in villages are balloon sites.
I hate to say it, but:

- The backside looks way too white
- It seems the threads reflect light, maybe synthetic(nylon would make the era fit, still a little white though)?

Last edited by swiss; 10-28-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:07 AM
Approved Member

Hm... at first blush, I have to agree with Swiss.

Maybe it's a trick of the camera and lighting, but I don't think linen would be so reflective and the weave looks too wide (open), though it's difficult to get a sense of scale from the picture- the reflectivity *might* be due to the adhesive used rather than from the "linen" itself, but that is a total guess.
In the picture it almost looks like plasterer's (acrylic or nylon?) reinforcing weave which has been stretched here and there to create irregularities in the weave.

Disclaimer: I am absolutely NOT an expert. But I do own some heirloom linen items (bed sheets and French wedding stationary dating from the '30s with a decorative backing in what I believe to be linen). The linen on the wedding reception cards (which is closer to the same use as a map) was of a decorative design and does not exhibit any glossiness. As some ends of the design have come loose and there is no glossiness at all (indeed, it's difficult to tell what adhesive was used) I think it's most likely an ordinary water soluble white glue was used sparingly to lightly tack the design to the card- though I'm not sure of this as the moisture of white glue would probably affect the underlying cardboard and there's no sign of that having occurred. I'd ask my grandmother (it was for her wedding) but that would involve the use of a Ouija board

Anyway, my first gut reaction to Swiss' comment was "hmmm... that DOES look fishy".

I dunno... just throwing some thoughts out there.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_G View Post
Hm... at first blush, I have to agree with Swiss.

I do own some heirloom linen items (bed sheets and French wedding stationary dating from the '30s with a decorative backing in what I believe to be linen). The linen on the wedding reception cards (which is closer to the same use as a map) was of a decorative design and does not exhibit any glossiness. As some ends of the design have come loose and there is no glossiness at all (indeed, it's difficult to tell what adhesive was used) I think it's most likely an ordinary water soluble white glue was used sparingly to lightly tack the design to the card- though I'm not sure of this as the moisture of white glue would probably affect the underlying cardboard and there's no sign of that having occurred. I'd ask my grandmother (it was for her wedding) but that would involve the use of a Ouija board
Well the "linen" backing I remember on old maps was more like that used in a surgical sling for a broken arm then that seen in a bedsheet. Much looser weave.

What seems to be coming to light is the maps were actaully printed on paper and backed with some material such as linen.
They were not printed directly on the material/linen.

Last edited by WTE_Galway; 10-28-2010 at 05:12 AM.