Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Approved Member

I have to say I really don't get the vehemence for the option of having a play style that appeals to a newer audience. Sure I fly full switch and like it, but if it can also have settings and features that appeal to new players I really don't see the conflict. The discussion isn't "Give up full realism and implement arcade mode in its stead." The discussion is possibly add arcadey play modes that could appeal to a new audience.

Having extra options and extra features won't diminish your or my desire to play fulls switch with other full switch players, but rather open the genre up to new comers. It's not a conflict of interest. Granted I think a Kill Streak reward system is silly, but if in the end it brings new players into the fold who may one day be full switch players who really cares? It's not a one or the other option that is being suggested here, and it is just one example of a feature that could be added.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Approved Member

Off topic (probably a good thing) but have you seen the manual? Pretty exciting! I really like the anthropomorphic control idea. Hopefully it will reduce a few exploits - excellent realism addition.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbop View Post
Don't like unrealistic servers? Just use fullreal servers. Simple. The "azzhats" you obviously despise are going to pay for IL2#3, not just the members of this forum (not even close). And some are going to get into the game enough to get the gear and enjoy it in its ultimate form.

For those who evidently cannot be bothered watching the video see below a rough transcript of Luthier commenting on new players in IL-2 and CoD at about 10.30 (relying on the translation btw). This is all I am talking about - the devs obviously see the need to get more people into the game and I applaud them. There just isn't going to be an IL-2#3 without this.

Int.: 'So let’s say I can’t fly at all. Can I get started easily?'

Luthier: 'Yes. We really care about this. We are always concerned with our older titles that newer players cannot get started easily and needed to invest a lot of time to get good and people flying without joysticks, flying with keyboard keys… We did have one or two IL-2 veterans who would fly online and consistently win with just keyboards.

'But we really tried to make the learning curve less steep in CoD, make it much more accessible. Can fly with your keyboard, with no joystick with relaxed realism, easy physics, everything complex turned off and just fly around and slowly enable complex options at your own pace and get more and more out of the game.'
Those options are for the flight model to be less realistic so they don't get frustrated and leave. Very similar to a "training" scenario. No where did he mention that in the game options that a KILL STREAK or UNLOCK ability would be enabled. You should read and try to understand a thread before you post on it.

Im all for servers having less realistic flight model or collision. Because at the end of the round the flyer with the most skill will be the leader. Not because he killed three guys and WAMBO WOOMBA MAGIC TASTICALLY A SUPER MUMBO JUMBO SUPER PLANE kills 12 more of his enemies. Ala: Call of Duty.

I am for keeping a combat flight SIM, about the SIMULATION of COMBAT FLIGHT.

Whether you played it on super easy or super hard, the method of downing another pilot would be to put his plane on the other end of your bullets. End of story.

Last edited by Hooves; 03-25-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Those options are for the flight model to be less realistic so they don't get frustrated and leave. Very similar to a "training" scenario. No where did he mention that in the game options that a KILL STREAK or UNLOCK ability would be enabled. You should read and try to understand a thread before you post on it.
Of course I understand that and I have said that I don't particularly like the kill streak idea. I was asking for comment in the OP and boy did I get it. The hostility on this forum to any 'impure' ideas is astounding!

Anything that brings more players in is good in my book. After all, I don't have to play on anything other that fullreal myself and neither do you.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

Lightbulb An idea of an award with historical aspect

Here's one idea of an 'achievement' model that would have a historical context, adjust your mindset to a more realistic approach and give out some prestige from success:

When you fly on full-real server, score a confirmed kill and make it back to base you'd get a kill marking to your fuselage. The markings would pile up until you get killed and restart from zero after that.

Same for bombers in terms of bomb markings that reflect to the payload dropped close enough to the target zone.

And since it's such harsh mechanism with a sudden death that resets the counter there could be something to indicate your 'records' of the past.

Maybe it could be utilized somehow in off-line too as long as the kill markings are kept in a level that you can't ramp-up your 'stats' in beginner level with invulnerability turned on.

I'm all for the sim-approach for the title and love CEM and everything, but I wouldn't mind have a scoring system like that which doesn't play too big of a role and jump into your face on every screen.

Last edited by whatnot; 03-25-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbop View Post
Of course I understand that and I have said that I don't particularly like the kill streak idea. I was asking for comment in the OP and boy did I get it. The hostility on this forum to any 'impure' ideas is astounding!

Anything that brings more players in is good in my book. After all, I don't have to play on anything other that fullreal myself and neither do you.

The Hostility comes from a thousand games being RUINED by these crap game mechanics that all serve to basically give a player that gets 3 kills an E BJ, then reward him for kills he didnt even earn.

Some games aren't games at all they are SIMS, and this is one of them. More players is not always good. The more crack head instant gratification losers you bring over the more you have garunteed the slow death of what used to be a great SIM. You want Kill streaks and other crap, go play an arcade game.