Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Approved Member

Hmmm, well I can't think of anything else to suggest. Certainly the settings clean up the aircraft, whether on your own or in formation with others. Maybe the shimmering landscape is something you're noticing because of screen size. Mines only a 1920x1080 24 inch, so if yours is bigger, which I assume it is with that res, the size of the monitor is exaggerating something I don't see.

I haven't even noticed whether any shimmering or flickering is reduced with these settings, as it didn't bother me too much in the first place, but ATAG_Deacon, who runs a three screen wrap around set up lowers his resolution. He posted a short vid of his set-up on the ATAG forum.

I'll see if I can find the link for you and edit this post.

Edit: Sorry, the vid I was after is in the 'member's only section'.

Anyone else help with this kind of res?

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 09-16-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
Hmmm, well I can't think of anything else to suggest. Certainly the settings clean up the aircraft, whether on your own or in formation with others. Maybe the shimmering landscape is something you're noticing because of screen size. Mines only a 1920x1080 24 inch, so if yours is bigger, which I assume it is with that res, the size of the monitor is exaggerating something I don't see.

I haven't even noticed whether any shimmering or flickering is reduced with these settings, as it didn't bother me too much in the first place, but ATAG_Deacon, who runs a three screen wrap around set up lowers his resolution. He posted a short vid of his set-up on the ATAG forum.

I'll see if I can find the link for you and edit this post.

Edit: Sorry, the vid I was after is in the 'member's only section'.

Anyone else help with this kind of res?
Yah the jaggies are worse on the aircraft wings, canopy and wires. Yes I have a 30" monitor and 1920 x 1200 is worse, much worse.

I wonder if you have hit on something, which would explain why some complain about this and some don't. I wonder if some are more used to more jaggies and a bit more is not as noticeable to them, whereas others are used to clean and clear image that other sims can manage and thus notice the jaggies much more. I dunno, all I can think of, but the videocard settings do absolutely nothing in my case which is really puzzling since they work for you.

Last edited by icarus; 09-16-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Approved Member

This is great news! More options is always better!

Visit No 79 Squadron vRAF

Petter Bøckman
Norway
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Approved Member

yeah it sucks that this game was left hanging. I had thought that they would keep patching away at Clod, while working towards the sequel .

But it does make sense of what the devs are doing. The engine is broke, and once the devs fix the engine (for the sequel), they can use that to fix Clod . ..

However I think they might be either redesigning the game engine again, or doing major work on it.

Also as Luthier said, there's that funding issue.

Once they have the working engine, they can adjust the content for Clod to the new engine and, whut up! working game.

However the sequel should have a working game engine with bells and whistles (weather etc) and the titular plane . . .

When we have this sequel, I guess installing it will simply patch CloD to match what the sequel has (generally bug free, weather, etc).

But they are focusing on continuing the Il-2 series.

its funny how some misread luthier's post and said the sequel is incompatible with Clod. . .
Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Approved Member

Just curios as to why people think the "sequal" will be any good? As if it is a golden nugget of programming or somehting?

These guys cant get CLoD right, and the BoM is going ot be using the same engine, that has been a mess for over a year now.

Do people realize they failed at CLoD? If they have no been able to get this mess correct, how are they going to do it with BoM? If they can get BoM right, then why have they not done it with CLoD? See the loop here? Its called they need more money because they relased a turd, and now want to make people pay to fix what they already bought.

They have failed. Failed in programming, failed in any decent offline, failed in communication, failed in optimization, failed in customer santisfaction, and totally failed in trust. They did that to themselves, nobody else.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Approved Member

You could be right if they don't bother fixing the game engine while building the Sequel. I assume one half of the crew will be working on the Sequels, maps, aircraft, and missions will the other half works on the AI, AI Commands, FM, DM, GUI, Clouds/Weather which should apply equally with COD, the next Sequel, and the Sequels after that. They have a year or two before the Sequels release and we should have a better idea after the release of the RC patch, how many issues they will still have to fix. We all know it will probably be a very long list. I wish them luck. I'd sure like to see a number of quality years of new theaters, and features, like the original series.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip

Last edited by Chivas; 09-18-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokitexas View Post
Just curios as to why people think the "sequal" will be any good? As if it is a golden nugget of programming or somehting?

These guys cant get CLoD right, and the BoM is going ot be using the same engine, that has been a mess for over a year now.

Do people realize they failed at CLoD? If they have no been able to get this mess correct, how are they going to do it with BoM? If they can get BoM right, then why have they not done it with CLoD? See the loop here? Its called they need more money because they relased a turd, and now want to make people pay to fix what they already bought.

They have failed. Failed in programming, failed in any decent offline, failed in communication, failed in optimization, failed in customer santisfaction, and totally failed in trust. They did that to themselves, nobody else.
I'ld be buying it day one even if it in the same state as COD, simply because I am having a great time on line with COD.

Even with all the problems it would still be work every cent.

Hopefully they will sort out some of the issues and it will be even more value.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Approved Member

ill be buying this comunity is too nice not to support it

and theyre not rich people still rmember the day oleg ask the comunity plz money for a new car

I PREFER TO LOVE WITHOUT BEING LOVED THAT NOT LOVE AT ALL
Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokitexas View Post

I'm not assured it will be good and will pay closer attention to the development updates, but I don't think those paying for the project would support a program they don't think will be any good. They must have some sort of confidence that this will work as planned. Heck, maybe even the new hires and fires were at the unction of the financial backers to assure a quality product.

I understand the logic of the turd analogy, but I am more inclined to think CoD/BoM is a gem covered by turd. Despite the many issues with CoD, Some are playing it quite nicely. My PC is way below spec so I can't complain or compare my experience with others, but the times I've played have been fun enough to give them the chance to pull the flecks of turd off the game and polish it up.

I'll look with a more askance view, and I won't gloss over perceived shenanigans, but I'll be fair.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'm not assured it will be good and will pay closer attention to the development updates, but I don't think those paying for the project would support a program they don't think will be any good. They must have some sort of confidence that this will work as planned. Heck, maybe even the new hires and fires were at the unction of the financial backers to assure a quality product.

I understand the logic of the turd analogy, but I am more inclined to think CoD/BoM is a gem covered by turd. Despite the many issues with CoD, Some are playing it quite nicely. My PC is way below spec so I can't complain or compare my experience with others, but the times I've played have been fun enough to give them the chance to pull the flecks of turd off the game and polish it up.

I'll look with a more askance view, and I won't gloss over perceived shenanigans, but I'll be fair.
"gem covered by turd" is probably the best analogy I've heard yet, but I sure wouldn't want to be paying the cleaners/polishers by the hour. Like you said the guys paying the cleaners must have a pretty good idea whats underneath. I've only taken a few cursory looks at the FMB, it appears to have an awesome amount of options, and feel some optimizations there could make for some very interesting missions someday.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip